PDA

View Full Version : Another case of legal robbery.

LWW
04-01-2008, 05:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FRESNO In a case that proves that size really does matter, 3M has agreed to pay almost $700,000 to settle a Fresno County case that alleged the company sold undersized adhesive tapes.

Fresno County prosecutors made their case stick by showing that 3M's Scotch and Tartan brand adhesive and packaging tapes were 6 percent narrower than their packaging said.

"They knew what the width was, and they seemed to want to exaggerate it," said Alan Yengoyan, the Fresno County deputy district attorney who prosecuted the case.

Under the settlement announced Thursday, 3M agreed to change its labels. It also will pay Fresno County $600,000 in civil penalties and an additional $75,000 into a state trust fund to benefit county and state weights and measures offices.

The company also will pay $18,000 to the state Department of Measurement and Standards, which investigated the case.

In settling the case, 3M did not admit liability or guilt.

Company officials could not be reached for comment Thursday evening.

A tape that was labeled for "1-inch use" measured 0.94 of an inch. That 6 percent deficiency also showed up on the company's other tape products.</div></div>

And we wonder why fewer and fewer companies built and or sell here.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/818056.html

LWW

bsmutz
04-01-2008, 12:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

And we wonder why fewer and fewer companies built and or sell here.

LWW </div></div>
We do? When I'm wondering (this is just me, BTW), I usually use the correct tense of the verb that fits the action I'm wondering about.

sack316
04-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Don't do it bsmutz! Joining the grammar police on a message board is a bad idea. Hours are horrible and the pay sucks. Not to mention that it "are" stupid and "be" pointless. (query: was the previous sentence bad English [are and be] or proper pirate [arrrrr and be]? Also, Bad English was a good band).

Sack

SKennedy
04-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Good advice Sack!

bsmutz
04-01-2008, 04:07 PM
I'm not joining the grammar police. Just using every opportunity that El Dweebers provides to remind him that he is not the god that he thinks he is.

LWW
04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
I've never thought or said that.

I do think you are a dope.

LWW

bsmutz
04-01-2008, 05:27 PM
Actions speak louder than words...

sack316
04-01-2008, 08:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsmutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not joining the grammar police. Just using every opportunity that El Dweebers provides to remind him that he is not the god that he thinks he is. </div></div>

IMHO, the best way to accomplish that would be by conquering though logical and rational debate on one of the myriad of topics LWW has started discussions on, rather than pointing out typographical or tense errors. Not blasting you or siding with him, just expressing my thought on that one. Been on too many online communities and seen this happen too many times, and all that does it make the grammar officer seem petty, unknowledgeable on the topics, and semingly causing drama for the sake of drama. And my thought is that you're probably better than that. If you feel it necessary to take him down a peg, do it the right way... it all comes out in the wash in the end, and everybody here is wise enough and mature enough to see through the BS anyone posts when it comes to that. Just my thought.

Sack

DickLeonard
04-01-2008, 09:22 PM
LWW what is your point a billion dollar company can't measure an inch. Let them move to China then they can use lead in their glue.####

Treehumper
04-02-2008, 09:07 AM
LWW, companies do reduce products by minimal amounts to increase profits. An airline once reduced the number of olives they served by one per passenger. This was noted because of the overall impact on costs and subsequent profits. For 3M that's an extra roll out of every 16 made. How many do they make?

How about the gas companies give you 6% less on the gallon that you purchase without telling you?

Imagine the profits this would generate.

hondo
04-02-2008, 09:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsmutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not joining the grammar police. Just using every opportunity that El Dweebers provides to remind him that he is not the god that he thinks he is. </div></div>

IMHO, the best way to accomplish that would be by conquering though logical and rational debate on one of the myriad of topics LWW has started discussions on, rather than pointing out typographical or tense errors. Not blasting you or siding with him, just expressing my thought on that one. Been on too many online communities and seen this happen too many times, and all that does it make the grammar officer seem petty, unknowledgeable on the topics, and semingly causing drama for the sake of drama. And my thought is that you're probably better than that. If you feel it necessary to take him down a peg, do it the right way... it all comes out in the wash in the end, and everybody here is wise enough and mature enough to see through the BS anyone posts when it comes to that. Just my thought.

Sack </div></div>

I agree. What Sonoma did to him was to paste his posts and analyze his ideas one by one, sometimes by showing contradictions in previous posts of LWW.
It was a lot of hard work, but it was brilliant and had LWW
sputtering and running for cover.
What made it even more effective is that he didn't have all his cronies to cover for him like the forum on AZ.

sack316
04-02-2008, 10:16 AM
How big is the hard drive on everyones computer on here (as in, what was advertised on the sticker). Now how much total storage capacity does your hard drive actually have?

That's something that's going to have to be redone eventually. I remember years ago with smaller hard drives when the difference was only a few megs and it appeared to be no big deal. But these days, well now one could market a terrabyte drive on the packaging, but the drive would in actuality "only" have about 900 gigs... and the packaging and marketing would be considered accurate and legal.

Sack

bsmutz
04-02-2008, 12:07 PM
Sorry, guys. I've tried several times to get El Double-Ewww to engage in intelligent discourse regarding his posts. He is either unwilling or unable. He has shown that he would rather attack than discuss. He also insists on presenting himself as the authority on nearly every subject and that anyone with an opposing, contradictory, or different opinion/view is somehow inferior. Then there is the endless name calling: moonbats, lefties, boosh, etc. It's very irritating and uncalled for, IMO. I'll try to be less annoying for you.

Treehumper
04-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm sure the lawyers for the hard drive manufacturers are checking the disclaimers after this settlement. While we ourselves do "round off the numbers" It is annoying when companies do this where precision is needed. A fair bit of construction material falls into this category.

DickLeonard
04-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Hondo I am still waiting for an intelligent post without derogatory remarks.####

LWW
04-03-2008, 04:41 AM
And we are pulling for you to make one.

LWW

LWW
04-03-2008, 04:43 AM
Should I sue the state because mile markers aren't exactly 1 mile apart?

Am I a victim because my 1/4 lb hamburger doesn't contain 1/4 lb of hamburger?

Have you ever measured a 2" X 4"?

LWW

Treehumper
04-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Thus the reference to construction material. I was a framer before. Dimensions of materials are the rough cut size. There is a tolerance as well that gives a 1/4" variation. This is all acknowledged and accepted in the industry. If one manufacturer worked outside of this norm then it would cause a bigger problem.

A quarterpounder starts with a quarter pound of raw meat. As for the mile markers, if it required precision then it would be better that they are a mile apart with an accepted tolerance.

LWW, would you accept such a reduction in the size of a gallon without your prior knowledge, I ask again?

bsmutz
04-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Treehumper, trying to have an intelligent conversation with El Dubious is like pissing in the wind. He won't answer your questions and will most likely attack you for daring to challenge his superior viewpoint. Sorry, but that's just the kind of misguided misanthrope he is.

It would be obvious to just about everyone else in the world that he's comparing apples to oranges here with his hamburger and mile marker analogies, but he would never admit it because his ego is way too big. Unfortunately, he must have experienced some sort of debilitating trauma when at a young age that not only caused his megalomania but also prevented his brain from developing normally, resulting in his pre-grade school level of communication skills. Probably better to just pity him like the rest of us and save your attempts to discuss things rationally with the other members of the forum.

Treehumper
04-04-2008, 03:05 PM
Well, it can be fun to have a foil....

LWW
04-04-2008, 03:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Treehumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thus the reference to construction material. I was a framer before. Dimensions of materials are the rough cut size. There is a tolerance as well that gives a 1/4" variation. This is all acknowledged and accepted in the industry. If one manufacturer worked outside of this norm then it would cause a bigger problem.

A quarterpounder starts with a quarter pound of raw meat. As for the mile markers, if it required precision then it would be better that they are a mile apart with an accepted tolerance.

LWW, would you accept such a reduction in the size of a gallon without your prior knowledge, I ask again? </div></div>
I wouldn't give a damn enough to measure.

1" may be a rough cut on tape?

I assume it's allowing for heat expansion "UP TO 1"" but it doesn't matter. I have failed to see any evidence that anyone was harmed ... which used to be how the courts worked before tthe moonbat era ... much less $700,000.00 in damages.

This suit is idiocy.

LWW

LWW
04-04-2008, 03:19 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsmutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Treehumper, trying to have an intelligent conversation with El Dubious is like pissing in the wind.</div></div>
When you are a shadowposting troll devoid of intelligence like you sir I imagine it is.

Now, go over in the pouting corner with houndo and whine about how mean I am.

LWW

bsmutz
04-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Never said you were mean, but you knew that. Incapable of intelligent discussion, yes. Self-absorbed to the point of narcissism, yes. Unable to ascertain meaning from the written word, yes. Self-absorbed to the point of narcissism, yes. Post-whore, yes. Self-absorbed to the point of narcissism, yes. Bird-brained, yes. Self-absorbed to the point of narcissism, yes. Quick to accuse & slander others for using the same tactics you do, yes. Self-absorbed to the point of narcissism, yes. Known to be the only one to reply to your own posts on many occasions, yes. Self-absorbed to the point of narcissism, yes. But not mean.

hondo
04-05-2008, 01:34 PM
I think he's mean. He drags me into every one of his posts and I try to be nice to him.
He calls me names. That's not very nice.

Treehumper
04-06-2008, 10:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I assume it's allowing for heat expansion "UP TO 1"" but it doesn't matter. I have failed to see any evidence that anyone was harmed ... which used to be how the courts worked before tthe moonbat era ... much less $700,000.00 in damages.

This suit is idiocy.

LWW</div></div>

I would have to assume that it wasn't advertised nor considered an normal industry practice otherwise the lawsuit wouldn't have had any leg to stand on. While I don't disagree that there is an inordinate number of absurd lawsuits out there. This isn't one of them. For a company the size of the 3M the damages are minor and a tax write-off. What it does is establish precedence for future suits where companies have knowing shorted customers.

To put it in a context that relates to this site, imagine getting an 8' table when what you had bought was a 9'then being told that's "their" 9 footer!

The harm is economic. Consumers had bought the brand with trust and ended up getting less then they where told they would be getting.

wolfdancer
04-06-2008, 10:56 PM
I hate to be a spell-check Nazi....but you left out the "st" in "unable"
I believe intelligent discourse is an oxymoron when he is mentioned in the same sentence....but "you knew that" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
If you have noticed, BD's advertisers are now sponsoring the message board, while at the same time participation is at an all time low....and has been shortly after he arrived...imo.
Maybe if they realize that besides just using the board as his private soapbox, to sell his Walter Mitty fantasies, Rocky is costing them ad revenue....maybe they'll correct the situation....

LWW
04-07-2008, 04:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Treehumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This suit is idiocy.

LWW</div></div>

I would have to assume that it wasn't advertised nor considered an normal industry practice otherwise the lawsuit wouldn't have had any leg to stand on. While I don't disagree that there is an inordinate number of absurd lawsuits out there. This isn't one of them. For a company the size of the 3M the damages are minor and a tax write-off. What it does is establish precedence for future suits where companies have knowing shorted customers.

To put it in a context that relates to this site, imagine getting an 8' table when what you had bought was a 9'then being told that's "their" 9 footer!

The harm is economic. Consumers had bought the brand with trust and ended up getting less then they where told they would be getting. </div></div>
Corporations pay no tax, it is paid by the end customer.

I measured 4 brands of tape at Lowes yesterday and they all were advertised as 1" but none were 1".

A pool table is a precision item.

A piece of tape is a piece of tape.

You are clueless.

LWW

sack316
04-07-2008, 10:11 AM
Good Lord I sure hope none of my ex-girlfriends decide to sue me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sorry, had to lighten the mood a bit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

bsmutz
04-07-2008, 11:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Corporations pay no tax, it is paid by the end customer.

I measured 4 brands of tape at Lowes yesterday and they all were advertised as 1" but none were 1".

A pool table is a precision item.

A piece of tape is a piece of tape.

You are clueless.

LWW </div></div>

See, Treehumper? I tried to warn you. We all know that corporations pay taxes. We all know someone would have to be a moron to go to Lowe's and measure 4 different brands of tape. We all know that pool tables are NOT precision items. Lastly, we all know that there are many different kinds of tape to be used for different types of jobs (a piece of tape does not equal a piece of tape). But guess who's clueless according to El Idiot?

Just another fine example of someone trying to have a discussion with him about a subject he brought up where he has the only opinion that's valid. And the truly sad part is that even if we had copies of the court documents proving that billions of dollars had been lost by users of the tape in question because of overspray, he still wouldn't pull his head out of his a**.

Gayle in MD
04-15-2008, 08:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And the truly sad part is that even if we had copies of the court documents proving that billions of dollars had been lost by users of the tape in question because of overspray, he still wouldn't pull his head out of his a**. </div></div>

But we knew that, didn't we? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Qtec
04-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I bought one roll of tape. Where do I have to go to get back the 1.7 ct they stole from me?

Q................LMAO..........while once again the Pres spokesperson lies and gets away with it.

Perino lies again (http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/04/23/helen-thomas-confronts-perino-on-torture-perino-denies-and-lies/)