PDA

View Full Version : Billiards; is it good for pool players?

JJFSTAR
04-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi everyone this is my 1st post of a new subject. I am a pool player exclusively but one of the top players on my team suggested that we go out to this pool hall with a billiard table. I know how to play (meaning the rules) and did read through Byrnes book on the section about billiards many years ago. If there are any good billiard players out there with some good general tips, hints or good clues I would appreciate any help. Also is this worth my time to go out and play this game? It is new fresh and exciting but is it going to help my pool game? Or should I stick with my old practice routines at the bar? Neither of us has played this game in 10 years but it does have a certain appeal so far I am 1-2 in races to 10 with him is this a common number of points to race to?

Thanks everyone

JJFSTAR

DeadCrab
04-01-2008, 10:11 AM
I have thought about this myself, but given the hassle of finding a billiards table, shelved the idea.

You might want to experiment with playing bank-pool. It does sharpen your banking game. It is also very humbling. There is some You-Tube video of some of the best players in the game playing banks at the DCC, and you can see that banking consistently is plenty tough for them.

I have my own version of Fargo where I score 3 points for successful banks, 2 points for kicks, and 1 for non-rail shots. It is a good way to train your eye to always be looking for the bank shots.

dr_dave
04-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Congratulations on your first new post!

Non-pool games (e.g., billiards and snooker) can definitely help your pool game, but not everybody has the time or access to equipment. I recommend just working on your pool banking and kicking game specifically. Freddy's "Banking with the Beard" is an excellent resource. I also have a decent bank/kick chapter in my book.

Regards,
Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi everyone this is my 1st post of a new subject. I am a pool player exclusively but one of the top players on my team suggested that we go out to this pool hall with a billiard table. I know how to play (meaning the rules) and did read through Byrnes book on the section about billiards many years ago. If there are any good billiard players out there with some good general tips, hints or good clues I would appreciate any help. Also is this worth my time to go out and play this game? It is new fresh and exciting but is it going to help my pool game? Or should I stick with my old practice routines at the bar? Neither of us has played this game in 10 years but it does have a certain appeal so far I am 1-2 in races to 10 with him is this a common number of points to race to?

Thanks everyone

JJFSTAR
</div></div>

JoeW
04-01-2008, 12:45 PM
I have pocket inserts for my GC III and a set of billiard balls. I play once in awhile and find little similarity to playing pool. Some of the skills undoubtedly transfer but not a whole lot. I suspect that someone who is good at one is good at the other.

Billiard balls are 2.5 inches in diameter (compared to 2.25 for pool balls). Therefore, the billiard ball hits the rail differently. Billiard balls are substantially heavier so english is a little different. Seems to me that, in general, it often takes more muscle to move a billiard ball around the table.

I like and enjoy billiards but it is a different game. To some extent I think it depends on what you learn first and what your friends play. I can't seem to find people who are interested in billiards for a whole evening. Many people will try it for the novelty but then want to play pool. There is also a steep learning curve for new players.

cushioncrawler
04-02-2008, 03:36 AM
U get the same sort of question from snooker players thinking about playing a bit of English billiards to help their snooker (12' tables here). Billiards will of course help a snooker player and vice-versa. Koz both uze the same ball (2-1/16"), the same table (12'), and the same cues (mostly 17oz with 9.5mm tip). Hey, my newest set of Bonzoline billiards balls (2-3/32", red, white, and spot-white, in original box) just arrived from the USA (ebay) -- bewdyfull. madMac.

JJFSTAR
04-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Deadcrab I do play bank pool regularly mostly with 9 balls and sometimes with 15. I also have a wonderful bank drill that is long and sharpening that I do at least twice a week. I have just recently been playing Fargo over the last 2 months and what a difference it has made in my game!!! My teammates have asked me "What have you done recently?" and the answer is Fargo. I will have to think about your variation on it. How do you solve the "count up" problem meaning when I miss count the # of balls on the table and score it like strait pool. Do you have to remember what you did on each ball and sort of "keep it in you head" or do you go over and score it right away or do you use a separate counter?

Dr. Dave whatís "Banking with the beard" can you post a link? And I have seen your videos good stuff BTW. I didnít know you had a book what is it called? I am working on my own book BTW don't know if I will ever finish it though. It is a tough one.

JoeW we have GC III's at the bar where did you get your inserts? That might be lots of fun. Maybe I could use the 1 and 3 balls with the inserts or a measles and red circle CB and that would do more of what I am trying to do anyway.

Thanks for your answers I am getting the feeling that the dominant opinion is that billiards isnít going to do that much for my game over the long haul but a little for the short term and that pool is best for pool when it comes down to brass tax.

JJFSTAR

JoeW
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I got my inserts from a friend who found them tossed in a box and stored in the back of an old store. No one wanted them at the time. I wasn't even sure I wanted them as they were old and dirty from much use. They were probably made by Brunswick sometime between 1940 - 1960. They cleaned up quite well and the rails were in great shape. An old bowling alley might have a set in storage.

There was a fellow at the recent Hopkins Expo who makes billiards pocket inserts for pool tables. He will make them for any table. He had lots of Brunswick table stuff, name plates, drop pockets, etc. Seems he is a table mechanic, or some type of craftsman though I am not sure. I had his card but lost it. Does anyone remember who he was? Nice guy, looked like great work and he had a couple of modifications to the old Brunswick inserts that were good ideas. Seems the inserts were on the expensive side because of the amount of work and the idea that he had to custom fit to your table, type of rails, etc.

I like my original Brunswick inserts and find that the creases are not hit often enough to wreck the game. The rails on the inserts are very similar to my table rails and the game is quite good. I suppose a "true" billiards player would object but they work very well for a casual game in my opinion.

Fran Crimi
04-02-2008, 01:30 PM
I think if you're just knocking the billiard balls around, not really knowing what you're doing, it's pretty much a waste of time. I know that because I did it that way until I smartened up and took a carom lesson. It wasn't until I took that lesson when I saw how it could help my pool game.

But be aware, I think playing carom helps the advanced pool player more than the beginner or intermediate player who is still working on their ball pocketing skills.

Fran