PDA

View Full Version : BILLIARDS A GREAT TEACHING TOOL...

SPetty
04-03-2008, 10:16 AM
fun article:

BILLIARDS A GREAT TEACHING TOOL FOR MECHANICAL ENGINEERING STUDENTS, SAYS ‘DR. DAVE’

http://newsinfo.colostate.edu/index.asp?url=news_item_display&news_item_id=440879812

SKennedy
04-03-2008, 10:28 AM
I haven't looked at the article yet, but back when I was going to Texas A&M I played pool with the Prof running the Physics Department (i had already taken all my physics but always skipped my classes and only showed up for tests) and we would actually discuss and incorporate physics into the game. In fact, from this, he hired me to work for the department part-time while I was a student. It was a great and cushy job! There are many, many aspects and benefits to playing pool, and other sports also.....

dr_dave
04-03-2008, 10:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPetty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fun article:

BILLIARDS A GREAT TEACHING TOOL FOR MECHANICAL ENGINEERING STUDENTS, SAYS ‘DR. DAVE’

http://newsinfo.colostate.edu/index.asp?url=news_item_display&news_item_id=440879812 </div></div>Spetty,

How did you find that? I didn't even know it was available yet (or where to find it).

Thank you for posting the link.

Regards,
Dave

PS: FYI, my College also recently published an article about my squirt robot project. Here it is: squirt robot article (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/comm/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=con.main&ID=897&cat=3).

KellyStick
04-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Pool = Applied Physics

dr_dave
04-03-2008, 11:51 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KellyStick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pool = Applied Physics</div></div>
Drinking = Applied Fluid Mechanics

DickLeonard
04-03-2008, 11:56 AM
SPetty nice to see your posting I'll have to spend more time on this side of the board. How is your new pool room? If you still don't have a home for Vincent I might have one.
Love Dick

dr_dave
04-03-2008, 12:06 PM
SPetty,

Please give us an update.

How did the move go?

Do you have a new pool room or plans for one yet?

Do you have a good Internet connection?

When's the next party?

Regards,
Dave

Deeman3
04-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Has the DeeMan wing of the library been planned yet? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

SKennedy
04-03-2008, 01:01 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPetty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fun article:

http://newsinfo.colostate.edu/index.asp?url=news_item_display&news_item_id=440879812 </div></div>

Just read the article....good for you Dr. Dave....helping your students understand and apply concepts that aren't easy to grasp, as well as your time and efforts to teach pool to beginners, and also help those of us on here who want to know a little more about our game. Thanks for helping to advance the game.

dr_dave
04-03-2008, 01:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SKennedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPetty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fun article:

http://newsinfo.colostate.edu/index.asp?url=news_item_display&news_item_id=440879812 </div></div>

Just read the article....good for you Dr. Dave....helping your students understand and apply concepts that aren't easy to grasp, as well as your time and efforts to teach pool to beginners, and also help those of us on here who want to know a little more about our game. Thanks for helping to advance the game. </div></div>Thank you for your nice post. I appreciate it.

Regards,
Dave

BigRigTom
04-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I think that it is pretty cool that Dr. Dave is getting some praise for all his hard work.
It is nice to see that Billiards Digest also compliments him in that article.

Pretty soon Dr. Dave you'll have to start wearing sun glasses and other distracting attire when you go out of the house. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

SKennedy
04-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Didn't you indicate you were about a 4 hour drive from Durango? If so, maybe we could meet up and play somewhere 1/2 way when I get up that way (Durango/Silverton) last week of September. Of course, that's assuming I go this year....likely a bad time for you anyway with school going full-blast that time of year!

dr_dave
04-03-2008, 03:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that it is pretty cool that Dr. Dave is getting some praise for all his hard work.

Pretty soon Dr. Dave you'll have to start wearing sun glasses and other distracting attire when you go out of the house. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif</div></div>Tom,

Thanks for the nice words. If I looked more like Jeanette Lee, you might be right.

Regards,
Dave

SKennedy
04-03-2008, 03:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that it is pretty cool that Dr. Dave is getting some praise for all his hard work.

Pretty soon Dr. Dave you'll have to start wearing sun glasses and other distracting attire when you go out of the house. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif</div></div>Tom,

Thanks for the nice words. If I looked more like Jeanette Lee, you might be right.

Regards,
Dave </div></div>

Just my opinion, but I find Allison to be pleasing to the eye also. Don't let my wife see this or she won't want me to go to OK this year! I asked her if she wanted to go and thankfully she has declined.....

dr_dave
04-03-2008, 03:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SKennedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't you indicate you were about a 4 hour drive from Durango? If so, maybe we could meet up and play somewhere 1/2 way when I get up that way (Durango/Silverton) last week of September. Of course, that's assuming I go this year....likely a bad time for you anyway with school going full-blast that time of year! </div></div>Durango is about as far from Fort Collins as possible while still being in Colorado. It's probably 6-7 hours, but the drive is gorgeous. If it were in the summer, I would be up for a road trip to meet halfway, but the end of September is tough for me. If you do visit, enjoy your stay. If you can make it up to Denver, I could probably drive down. Send me a PM or e-mail if and when you plan to visit.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave
04-03-2008, 03:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SKennedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that it is pretty cool that Dr. Dave is getting some praise for all his hard work.

Regards,
Dave </div></div>

Just my opinion, but I find Allison to be pleasing to the eye also. Don't let my wife see this or she won't want me to go to OK this year! I asked her if she wanted to go and thankfully she has declined..... </div></div>I also think Allison is cute, but Jeanette seems to be more "marketable."

Dave

SKennedy
04-03-2008, 03:32 PM
We discussed this briefly last early September and I could not remember how far it was. It's a shame. I would have enjoyed meeting and playing some pool.
I did play one night in Durango at the local hot spot. It was a weeknight and I played the best player in the house. He thought I was a very good player. Let's just say that I'm sure Durango has some really good players that would not assess me that highly. Fortunately, I didn't run into any of them that night!
Maybe after a few more lessons with Scott Lee I'll make that 7 hour drive after all.....
Maybe if SPetty builds another pool room, I can visit and meet more of the posters. I have met and played Ed one night in Terrell, Tx, but that's it so far. I did meet Ace one night in Tyler but we never played. I'm sure I'm not in his class and he was focused on one pocket. I was watching him play and I'm not familiar with the game of 1 pocket at all. I just thought he was a really, really poor 8-ball player!! LOL!

SKennedy
04-03-2008, 03:35 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SKennedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dr_dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that it is pretty cool that Dr. Dave is getting some praise for all his hard work.

Regards,
Dave </div></div>

Just my opinion, but I find Allison to be pleasing to the eye also. Don't let my wife see this or she won't want me to go to OK this year! I asked her if she wanted to go and thankfully she has declined..... </div></div>I also think Allison is cute, but Jeanette seems to be more "marketable."

Dave </div></div>

Cute is good enough for me! Honestly, there is just something appealing about a woman playing pool. I would suspect that has partially something to do with the success of the WPBA.

Scott Lee
04-05-2008, 12:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SKennedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe after a few more lessons with Scott Lee I'll make that 7 hour drive after all.....</div></div>

Whenever you're ready Steve, let me know...

Scott Lee