PDA

View Full Version : Don't live in a decent middle class neighborhood

sack316
04-05-2008, 11:48 AM
I'm sure you all recall a while back when the last string of tornados came through my area, and my parents house was one of the places in it's path. I once again would like to thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and support. And the good news update is that they are back in the house as of a few weeks ago, and everything is now rebuilt and they can finally resume their lives... with some added struggles with the insurance companies. But they are one of the fortunate ones in the area, and I again stress that all the community help, FEMA, Alabama Power, and all those who helped were wonderful but...

What I don't get is that the area was not considered a disater area. If anyone hasn't seen any pics, and you have myspace, feel free to add me (sack316) and see the pics I have up, and tell me that's not a federal disaster area. And the reasoning behind NOT making this area a disater zone given to my parents: "because too many people have insurance and too many people pay their bills and debts on time". You can drive through the neighbrhood and see huge holes where houses once were, that will take years to rebuild the community... yet because they are a responsible community as a whole, they will not even be able to get so much as an extension on filing their taxes. Now as I said, my parents are one of the lucky ones who can resume their lives as close to normal as can be expected, but I have friends and neighbors who will not be so fortunate for a long time... and because they have taken care of their finances they will have to suffer more? Just doesn't make any sense to me, especially after the string of storms yesterday, and the areas that were made federal disaster areas in neighboring communities just this morning. I dunno, it just frustrates me and I don't really get it.

Sack

Gayle in MD
04-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Wow, that's awful, Sack. I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder, if there were some organized protests, letters and news stories from citizens in that area, to their representatives, and the press, if shome kind of help couldn't be accomplished.

Lately, is seems there have been so many tornados, floods, and also, have you noticed how many horrible industrial fires there have been?

I think your parent's neighbors should take a stab at demanding some support from their representatives in congress, and the Senate, and particularly their Governor.

I'm glad that your folks have recovered for the most part. but, therre should be an organized effort for federal assistance. Might require a few earmarks, though... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

sack316
04-05-2008, 11:26 PM
lol, well that may be an earmark I'd be OK with... but methinks we already are supposed to have some kind of disaster relief funded already.

And yeah, there have been quite a bit of tornados and things like that... but we've had it pretty decent the last several years so maybe we're just making it all up now.

Getting organized and trying to make demands may be a good idea, but I really don't know how spread out everyone is. It's kind of weird that the event has become somewhat of an afterthought to me, even though I live only a couple of minutes away. But everytime I see someone from the neighborhood I get reminded real quick... nobody is themselves again yet. Don't know how to describe the way they act, other than it's almost zombie-like still.

Sack