PDA

View Full Version : Michael Ware's Interview RE: Present State Of Iraq

Gayle in MD
04-05-2008, 12:34 PM
BAGHDAD INSURGENTS CONTINUE THEIR ATTACKS:

Michael, with everything we've been seeing lately and now, with the US Embassy telling everyone to stay inside because of the violence, can you tell us why therre's such an uptick in violence? Why now?

Michael: Well this has been triggered by an Iraqi Government offensive in the city of southern oil rich Bazra and now that's a city that's controlled by a number of militia factions. While the Iraqi government and the U.S. Military is very keen to dress this up as a bold decision, targetting criminal elements in the ultimate washout, the real target of this offensive will invariably be the Meddhi Army Militia which is loyal to the anti-American Cleric, al Sadr.

Well, Michael, But...Well, but isn't it true, also, some in Bazra specifically, that a lot of the forces there, more than 16,000, half of the bazra Police forces, they're, they have been known to be infiltrated with the very militia they're supposed to be fighting?

Michael: Oh, absolutely! In one sense, there's no such thing as an Iraqi Police Force. these are localized groups putting Police uniforms on - largely funded by and trained by Americans, but there are the Sunni insurgent groups who serve in their home town, or they're local militia forces backed by Iran who serve in their home town, Bazra is no different however, in Bazra we have a whole rainbow alliance of Iranian backed, or Iranian linked, or Iranian supported militias. Now the provincial government is controlled by one group. Now, they're not completely alligned with Iran, but they're not separate from Iran. the streets, in many ways are dominated by the Meddhi Army, but is not beholding to Iran - yet this central government who is launching this offensive is very much, in so many ways, its key factions tied intrically with Iran. Yet, America must inevitably throw its lot in with this government. So this is a very complicated picture, there is so many games at play here we can't even begin to describe them.

I know it's - frankly it's tough to keep this all straight, but another major concern here is the fact that this violence in Bazra, in the southern part of the country could spread.

Michael: Well, it could spread in a number of ways. In one sense, the potential is that this will be limited to shiia dominated areas, that's largely southern Iraq, which is heavily overwhelmed by Iranian influence, not American influence, certainly not British influence, who were in control of the area, and they've retreated to their air base, outside of Bazra, and they have no ability to change this environment whatsoever. However, could it spread to the rest of the country? Northern Iraq? - NO - the Kurds are very happy to see Arabs fighting arabs, whether they be Iranian backed or backed by other Arab countried, the Sunnis, now 70,000 of whom were killing Americans, but are now on the U.S. government payroll, will have a key strategic decision to make...do we try to capitalize on this internal shiia on Shiia pro Iranian faction backed fighting, or do we stand back, let them kill each other, and then step in. So there is a potential for this to go any number of ways, all of which are complicated, all of which add to the woes of the U.S. mission, all of which risk jeapardizing the gains of the so called surge.

DIFFERENT INTERVIEW, SEVERAL DAYS EARLIER

Rick: Michael is this milestone, 4,000 dead AMericans, is this more than just a number, and if so, why?

Michael: Well Rick I think it's undeniable that when the U.S. Military struck this harrowing mark of 4,000 dead it does not go without some kind of symbolism. It comes after this war's 5th anniversary when these four soldiers were killed some eight hours ago, here in the southern part of the capital of Baghdad, that really does say something. You cannot help but take a moments pause to reflect, and to I'm sure soldiers and commanders throughout the mission will be taking that moment as well, 4,000american deaths now in the war that continues to grind away where there seems to be so little insight that suggests it coming to an end at any time soon. That, perhaps, is the drakest reflection of all. Four thousand deaths and very little so far has changed. We're seeing success from the military's surge here in Baghdad where they've flooded the capital with 30,000 extra combat troops, where they've cut deals with their former enemies among the Sunni insurgents, where anti-American febel cleric, al Sadr, is now finding political accomodation from the U. S. military, following the cleric's declaaration of a cease fire, so whilst there's still nothing to say that anything is getting any better in a real sense, that the fundalmental building blocks of this war have been changed. And, to now have the four thousand American dead, really is a chilling moment that, one wonders.

Rick: Michael, I just want, let me ask you, for a moment and just, just want to ask, since we're talking about numbers, I want to ask, now, something that is rarely talked about on network television in the U.S. and that is the 4,000 Americans is serious enough, but is it your understanding that the number of dead Iraqis would, what, double, tripple, or what would it do?

Michael: Well, Rick, no one could give you a figure of the number of Iraqi souls that have been lost in this five year conflick, but it's exponentially greater than 2 or 3 or even 10 times this terrible number of AMerican sasualties. We're talking about, on conservative estimates of between 80,000 to 100,000 Iraqis have lost their lives and thats not to mention that more than 4 million Iraqis are displaced from their homes, 2 million are lost here in Iraq, wanting to return home, 2 million more, plus, are beyond this country's borders and there seems little hope of any of them to return, and the entire social fabric of the country has been torn assunder with a legacy of this war that it's now divided along sectarina lives, Sunni vs. Shiia, where it never was before, not even under Saddam, so the impact and the toll that this conflict has aken on this country is almost immesurable, Rick.

Rick: Michael, if you'll allow us, I want us to bring Martha, Marths, you're shaking your head as Michael is bringing us this report. Is it because of a disagreement?

Right wing Martha: It's, I, I, really do disagree on some of the issues, and I've been, not, not as long as Michael has been in Iraq, ( <span style="color: #000066">Michael has been there throughout the war) </span> but I've been there twice, I have been, seen the Provincial areas, and in many of the provincial governments they are fundtioning, ah, Baghdad had continued to be a problem, but better, and I just think that that's the story thats not being reported.

Rick: That, that it really is a success? Is that what you're saying?

Right wing Martha: that provincial governments are functioning the way they should in most cases.

Rick: Michael, how about that, that the provincial governments are, are...

Michael: Well there are a number of things that we can say about that. Certainly on paper there is a thin vaneer of success in the fact that the provincial governments, or some of them, are fuinctioning in the way that they are, but lets look at it this way, most of those provincial governments are operating in that way because they are so heavily supported by Iran. We're talking about provincial governments in the south, and paramilitary Iranian supported provincial governmants. Kurdish regions where they have their own government, but come on, lets, lets...Anbar is our B Iraq, and with Islamist services, but it is run by al Qaeda.

<span style="color: #000066">Note from Gayle...

Both of these interviews were on CNN, but I regret that I do not have the exact dates, and times, however, they each took place before the large number of Iraqis deserted combat activities which occured during this last few days. </span>

wolfdancer
04-06-2008, 03:29 PM
Maybe Mr. Ware was unaware of the "surge" and/or "Mission Accomplished"?????
What a ****** mess we are in over there. We're training and arming both our "friends" and our enemies....and we're not sure which is which. I look at my friend's 14 yr old,smart, athletic, and instead of a bright future ahead...maybe just another 3 or 4 yrs before he will be caught up in this hundred year's war.
AND if by some miracle we "win" in Iraq, we'll just be creating more enemies in the neighboring countries.

Gayle in MD
04-08-2008, 02:45 PM
We'll be lucky if we can avoid the inevitable total crash in Iraq until after this lame duck president is out of there. As long as we don't end up with McCain taking his place.

Even the retired generals are sying they don't want to see Bush in charge when the **** hits the fan in Iraq.

We're stuck, watching our kids get slaughtered in Iraq until Bush is back at his play ranch!