PDA

View Full Version : APA jumpshots

billiards89
04-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Are jump shots allowed in the APA handicap leagues I no they are in masters

pooltchr
04-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Local bylaws differ from one area to the other. Our LO says jumps are ok as long as
1. They are legal shots and not a scoop shot
2. They are done with a full length cue
3. They are allowed by the owner of the room where you are playing.
Steve

Rich R.
04-13-2008, 07:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Local bylaws differ from one area to the other. Our LO says jumps are ok as long as
Steve </div></div>

I live on the boarder of two major APA areas and I have played in both. The rules in both of these areas are the same as Steve has posted.

SKennedy
04-14-2008, 09:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Local bylaws differ from one area to the other. Our LO says jumps are ok as long as
Steve </div></div>

I live on the boarder of two major APA areas and I have played in both. The rules in both of these areas are the same as Steve has posted. </div></div>

Ditto for our area as well.

BigRigTom
04-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Ditto again here in Ventura County and Los Angeles County of Southern California.

Most bars around here frown on you using a jump or masse' but when the owner or bar manager knows you and is comfortable that you know what you are doing they don't say much.

The biggest problem is if one of the bar room bangers sees you do an extreme jump or masse he will inevitably try it after he has had a few more beers....then when he is caught ripping the cloth he will almost certainly blame you.....something like:

"Hey! Joe Blow was playing so and so and he did the same shot and no one complained when he did it!"

Of course he leaves out the part about how he ripped the cloth and you didn't.

Rule of thumb, be conservative and if you don't know what you are doing, don't practice on the public table with out permission. It could turn out being a $500 lesson if the owner makes you replace that Simonis 860 for him.

Cydpkt
04-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Same rules in Montana. I understand in Higher Level Tourneys that it is allowed to use a jump cue.