PDA

View Full Version : anyone subscribe to mlb.tv?

sack316
04-15-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm thinking about it, but trying to figure out if it's worth it or not. The last two weeks my off days have happened to fall on days the cubbies were not televised /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

But 90 bucks for the season is a little steep, though the on demand feature could be pretty useful assuming I can manage to NOT watch sportscenter beforehand.

I dunno, just wanted to know if anyone has used the service and what their opinion is on it.

Sack

wolfdancer
04-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Sack, as much as you like baseball....it's well worth the money...
AND, if you can afford it, get the Sling Media Pro device....
......and I can watch the game on my computer, while you watch it on your TV.....Thanks in advance!!!!

eg8r
04-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Sack, I am sure you will be happy with it, if it is anywhere near as good as the MLB Extra Innings on DirecTV. I paid $200 for Extra Innings and I can watch around 80 to 90 games a week if I had the time. I purchased it so that I could watch every Yankee game televised and I love it, well worth the money.

eg8r

sack316
04-16-2008, 08:49 AM
thanks for the input guys. Well, my baseball loving heart and mind thanks you, my wallet on the other hand may not /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Oh, and neither will my stuff that is likely to get broken several times being able to watch an entire season of Cubs baseball /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

wolfdancer
04-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Hey, i thought you meant MAJOR league baseball....that would be the Bosox if you are a liberal, and the Yankees if you are republican bent.
A season of watching the Cubs???????....try waterboarding instead, less painful...

SKennedy
04-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Unfortunately, I'm a Ranger's fan and therefore don't really care if the game is televised or not. Every third game or so is enough for me to watch and be disheartened further. It's sad when you get excited if your team's winning percentage is 0.500. If I'm "batting" .500 in APA league play I'm not very happy with myself. But, it's early in the season. Wait until my Rangers get tired and the heat and humidity really get to them! Nolan Ryan helped them when he played for them at the end of his career, and I'm hopeful he can do the same thing again!
You mean the cubbies aren't always on WGN?

sack316
04-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Yep lifelong Cubs fan, literally. And not because I was a child of Cub's fans and just inherited the gene or something... I came into this pain on my own. Watching the Bozo show on WGN in the mornings is one of my earliest memories... and sometimes the TV would just stay on WGN and eventually the Cubs would come on. I fell in love with Harry Caray and the team. I was born in '79, but vividly recall the 1984 season and the excitement that went along with it as if I had been alive since 1908. I remember carrying around voodoo dolls of Eric Show after he plunked Dawson in the cheek in '87. I remember actually crying the day Caray died... it's like the cubs were my childhood... even my first year of A league baseball at 5 years old I refused to play unless my team was the cubs lol.

Anyway, so yeah lifelong bleeding blue many tears cubs fan here. And people wonder why I'm so disturbed! I may consider the sox, yanks, or another AL team when thier pitchers have to hit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

And no, unfortunately every game is not on WGN... though I am luckier than most that my team happens to be carried quite often on a superstation. SO I guess I can't complain too much (other than the fact that it is the Cubs), but the on demand feature on mlb.tv seemed pretty alluring to me for days I am working or have class and have to miss the game.

Oh, and surprise surprise, one of our huge investments is going on the DL. Stupid goats.

Sack

wolfdancer
04-17-2008, 08:20 PM
I went to a Navy electrician school at the Great Lakes base in
Waukegan, Ill. We got free tickets for the cubs game...and the first Major League game I attended....Sam (Toothpick) Jones had a no hitter going for the cubs into the ninth....I was thinking this is amazing, my first game and a no hitter....then as I remember it...a single, followed by a HR...and the Cubs lost the game

SKennedy
04-22-2008, 03:30 PM
Sack,
You are only 3 years older than my son! I had assumed you were older. Was Bozo still around in '79? Heck, I was married in '74!

And as for Wolfie....I too was in Great Lakes...Corpsman School during 1974. That's where I met my wife!

Remember the Ratskeller (sp?)....enlisted men's club? Most fun I had was shore patrol duty there a couple of nights breaking up fights between drunks!

sack316
04-22-2008, 09:15 PM
yep, bozo was still around then and part of my regular ritual of TV watching. In fact, I watched the 60 years of WGN special the other night and saw many great memories of the past.

I'll hope your assumption that I was older is a compiment... because that's how my ego is gonna take it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack

SKennedy
04-23-2008, 09:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yep, bozo was still around then and part of my regular ritual of TV watching. In fact, I watched the 60 years of WGN special the other night and saw many great memories of the past.

I'll hope your assumption that I was older is a compiment... because that's how my ego is gonna take it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sack </div></div>
Your ego did take it the correct way!

wolfdancer
04-23-2008, 10:20 AM
The Cubs at .700 ???????????????????????
What's the world coming to?

sack316
04-23-2008, 12:02 PM
thanks SKennedy, had a fear in the back of my mind that my harsh lifestyle over a number of years may have aged my looks and you were pointing it out to me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

And wolfie, I dunno... a .700 win percentage, beating teams from the central and taking a 2 game series from the Mets. Still winning with Soriano on the DL, Ramirez in his beginning season slump (well, average-wise at least). It scares me! But I'm just happy to see Lou doing what I've been saying he should be doing the last couple of years--- playing small ball and not relying on the power game. I've seen bunts, hit and runs, situational hitting, stolen bases, sac flies... brings a little tear to my eye. That's always been my theory on offensive play, the home runs will come and go, but if you can learn to manufacture runs you stand a chance of winning any day. And that's exactly what this lineup is doing, with guys like DeRosa, Murton, etc. filling their roles and becoming as integral as Lee and Ramirez.

Sack

SKennedy
04-24-2008, 05:03 PM
By the way.....I love that signature line of yours!

Small ball is great just as you say. However, when you are manufacuring runs you best play solid defense and have the pitching to go along with it. I'm pointing fingers at the Rangers here! People screamed for years about them having a power line-up, etc. and complained. Now, they play more small ball, but have a poorer fielding team and still have no pitching....and closing in on being 0.250 for the season.

I was coaching vs a team that was younger and not even nearly as good as the team I was coaching. But, their coach was very good. He is manufacturing runs vs us...averaging about 1/2 run an inning and I'm laughing at him and thinking to myself "go ahead Mickey with your strategy, but it won't do you any good.....we're getting ready to explode on you and never look back!" At the end of the game I was still waiting on the "explosion" to take place. And yep, they beat us! I told Mickey what I was thinking during the game and he was waiting for us to hammer them also. Didn't happen. That was 16 to 17 years ago now and we still talk about his "upset." From a coaching perspective, small ball is much more fun, and the coach feels just as important and as involved in the game as any of the players.
It's funny, but from a coaching perspective I remember more games that we lost but should have won, than the big games we won. In also remember the games, those I coached and those I just watched from the stands, in which my son pitched and excelled. Fortunately I forgot those in which he "stunk." And as you know....if you are a pitcher....you'll have both really great and really bad days.

sack316
04-24-2008, 07:00 PM
oh yes sir, absolutely agreed on the solid defense. Having the ability to put across a run or two here and there thoughout the game is comletely useless if your down more than a few runs. My big thing (both in coaching and playing) was to ask a player "what would you consider your stronger asset, your bat or your glove?" They would then reply either way. I would then ask, "well, which one do you practice more, hitting or fielding?" And inevitably the answer would be whatever function was stronger. So then I would ask "well, why aren't you practicing (the other) more?"

I was always big on being well rounded (again, both playing and coaching). Everybody needed to be able to bunt and hit situationally. You're best power hitter is lucky to be able to hit the ball out of the park every what, 20+ AB's or so? But if he can lay down a solid sac bunt 90% of the time and hit to the right side with a runner on second and less than two outs, then he's a weapon.

After I stopped playing I had the good fortune of coaching what I would deem a dairly rag-tag team. Not much special about most of the players talent wise, but they all worked hard and listened. They went on to break the team record for wins that the team I played on had set a few years prior, and we had a stout team I played on (even a few of our bench players went on to get scholarships... that kind of team). A true example of the wonder and magic of baseball. In other sports the bigger, stronger, faster can much more easily dominate as a group, but in baseball it takes the right mixture of ingredients and anyone can win.

Sack

wolfdancer
04-25-2008, 08:55 AM
How do you score half a run?
The thread reminded me though of last year's Little League World Series......the sports high-lite of the year imo

SKennedy
04-25-2008, 09:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you score half a run?
The thread reminded me though of last year's Little League World Series......the sports high-lite of the year imo </div></div>

You should have seen some of the teams I coached!!! LOL And don't forget I'm the coach that might score a homerun as an E-1!!
I said "average" Wolfie! I think the final score was 3 to 2 or 4 to 3.....

SKennedy
04-25-2008, 09:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh yes sir, absolutely agreed on the solid defense. Having the ability to put across a run or two here and there thoughout the game is comletely useless if your down more than a few runs. My big thing (both in coaching and playing) was to ask a player "what would you consider your stronger asset, your bat or your glove?" They would then reply either way. I would then ask, "well, which one do you practice more, hitting or fielding?" And inevitably the answer would be whatever function was stronger. So then I would ask "well, why aren't you practicing (the other) more?"

I was always big on being well rounded (again, both playing and coaching). Everybody needed to be able to bunt and hit situationally. You're best power hitter is lucky to be able to hit the ball out of the park every what, 20+ AB's or so? But if he can lay down a solid sac bunt 90% of the time and hit to the right side with a runner on second and less than two outs, then he's a weapon.

After I stopped playing I had the good fortune of coaching what I would deem a dairly rag-tag team. Not much special about most of the players talent wise, but they all worked hard and listened. They went on to break the team record for wins that the team I played on had set a few years prior, and we had a stout team I played on (even a few of our bench players went on to get scholarships... that kind of team). A true example of the wonder and magic of baseball. In other sports the bigger, stronger, faster can much more easily dominate as a group, but in baseball it takes the right mixture of ingredients and anyone can win.

Sack </div></div>

To me, everyone on the team had better know how to lay down a bunt. And I mean a sacrifice bunt.....not trying for a drag bunt for a base hit, etc. A big pet peeve of mine is when a player is supposed to be bunting and he pulls the bat head back on a ball in the strike zone, or bunts the ball for a little pop-up out.

I had a really good team one year and we went far. Good talent and great chemistry. Two years later, I had an even more talented team and everyone expected even greater things. We sucked! I had a bunch of selfish players....no chemistry, and I was to blame also!

You are right about the game of baseball! The more you know about the game, the more you appreciate it and respect it. A well-reknown coach in the area told me last week that in his opinion football was one of the easiest sports to coach, while basketball and baseball were much more difficult....and remember that I live in Texas where football is King! I don't know about coaching football, but I do know that there is nothing better than to coach a well-disciplined, unselfish, and talented baseball team that wants to play and win. I've been lucky enough to do that and it will always be one of the highlights of my life. I still run into former players everywhere I go, and it is always great to see them, talk about "old times," and get caught up!