PDA

View Full Version : What happened to men's pro Billiards on TV?

eb_in_nc
04-15-2008, 01:51 PM
I watch a lot of billiards (mostly 9-ball) on TV and for the life of me I can't understand why it all seems to be only women? Don't get me wrong, I can watch the likes of Allison Fisher and Jeanette Lee for hours on end, but I'm baffled why I don't see much for the men these days?

I have billiards programed into my TIVO so I assume I am getting everything coming in that is available. Can anyone help me to understand why the women seem to dominate billiards on TV?

Tom_In_Cincy
04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
First... the women have a contract with ESPN to show x hours of the women players.

Secondly the men are not organized enough to know what an ESPN is.

New2Pool
04-15-2008, 04:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eb_in_nc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watch a lot of billiards (mostly 9-ball) on TV and for the life of me I can't understand why it all seems to be only women? Don't get me wrong, I can watch the likes of Allison Fisher and Jeanette Lee for hours on end, but I'm baffled why I don't see much for the men these days?

I have billiards programed into my TIVO so I assume I am getting everything coming in that is available. Can anyone help me to understand why the women seem to dominate billiards on TV? </div></div>

The leading women are pleasing to the eye and play a very high caliber of pool. The leading men are not pleasing to the eye and play a higher average level of pool. But to the average fan the level of pool played by either group is better than we will ever be able to master. So on average the women get more viewers. (Just a guess, I did not check what the average ratings are.)

bsmutz
04-15-2008, 04:50 PM
From what I've read, ESPN charges somewhere in the neighborhood of $25,000 to film an event. I know the IPT went another way with their TV stuff and it seems like ever since, nobody's paying for ESPN to film. The Tournament of Champions and the Texas Hold 'Em 7-ball ring game seem like the only two from last year. Maybe the BCA (EnjoyPool.com) in Vegas in May, too.

av84fun
04-26-2008, 01:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsmutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I've read, ESPN charges somewhere in the neighborhood of $25,000 to film an event. I know the IPT went another way with their TV stuff and it seems like ever since, nobody's paying for ESPN to film. The Tournament of Champions and the Texas Hold 'Em 7-ball ring game seem like the only two from last year. Maybe the BCA (EnjoyPool.com) in Vegas in May, too. </div></div>

I don't believe that is correct...at least not for WPBA matches. The events are videoed by private contractors paid by the WPBA.

In return the WPBA is given a certain number of minutes of ad time per broadcast for X number of broadcasts and ESPN sells the rest of the minutes for their profit.

You may be right about the production cost of $25k though given the equipment "rental" costs and the round trip travel for the crew and producers.
Regards,
Jim

Treehumper
04-26-2008, 07:35 AM
The only recent men's events on tv have been the Derby City Classic bank pool tournament. Watching the women play comparing the men I'm struck by the attitude toward appearance. The guys look like they walked in off the street to shoot some stick after work, jeans, tees and running shoes, generally looking pretty casual. Looking at some of the older footage and remembering the live games I watched the dress was much more formal. Dress shirts, vests, dress pants and shoes.

The women on the other hand generally looked like they are dressing to impress. Not to say overdressed but certainly that they weren't in their street clothes.

What does this have to do with broadcasting? The men are not interested in appealing to a larger audience while the women are much more attuned to the need to market their game. More effort is put in to gaining tv access to enhance the bottomline.

04-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Tom in Cincy and Treehumper are both on the right track, IMO. The women are FAR better businesspeople, who understand that this is a business, not sporting, proposition. Their tournaments are structured so that they can sell their own commercial time within the broadcast, thus televised women's tournaments customarily show a modest profit (unlike just about every other meet there is). The men's attitude largely seems to be, "Put up the money and we'll come and play for it." I don't see any aspect of this changing anytime soon. GF

Deeman3
04-28-2008, 07:25 AM
George,

Thanks for jumping in here on this. It kept me from making more noise than I wanted to. A lot of this goes back to trhe MacKey days, I think.

The women do a much better job and have proven to be more adult in presenting the game via ESPN.

The men are waiting for someone to rescue them.

eb_in_nc
04-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks all for your responses on this topic. Yes, the women are more marketable, prettier, and easier on the eye.

The men definitely need to clean up their act. If pro bowling is a reality for men, it should also be such in billiards.