PDA

View Full Version : Deam performance cue/shaft

Shaft
04-15-2008, 09:03 PM
I know a similar question has been asked 1000 times, but the search engine is not working for me.

For $2,000 or less, what is your dream cue/shaft considering performance only? I am talking performance/technology/squirt/warp resistance/dampening/etc, not looks/exotic hardwoods/pearl inlays/etc.

Thanks for your opinions,

bsmutz
04-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Wow, that's a heck of a question. Seems like the ultimate "dream" cue would make the ball no matter what kind of delivery you had. Within the realm of reality, I suppose it would be something that felt good in my hands. It would be fairly stiff, but not too stiff; low squirt and radially consistent. I'm not really a very good player, so I usually have to judge this kind of stuff by how well it works for me, how consistent I am with it. Descriptions like soft hit, solid feel, hits a ton, just don't have much meaning for me. The bummer is that it takes a few days to fully understand how well a cue works for me and most sellers of cues aren't going to let you test drive a cue for that long. I suppose the best scenario would be to find a pool hall with a good selection of cues that has an owner that wouldn't mind letting you play with them.

hondo
04-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Thus far, the best hitting cue I have is an
unwrapped 1/1 Tim Scruggs that was custom built for somebody else for about $1300.
Others that I have liked:
Shurtz- $300, new
Ray Schuler original-$250, used
Jeff Olney- $500, used
Dave Kikel- $1300, new
Dale Perry- $675, new ( I know; I overpaid, but it's a good hitter)
Paul Mottey- $ 2000, used

I would love to try
Andy Gilbert
Ted Harris
Mike Lambros
Ernie Martinez
Bill McDaniel
Kenny Murrell
Bluegrass
Sugartree
Paul Drexler
Skip Weston
Rick Howard
Blackcreek

All of which maybe could be found for $2000 or less.

bataisbest
04-20-2008, 04:34 PM
My dream cue would be one of Efren's. Maybe some of his magic would rub off on mee and help my game. LOL. I don't really believe in all that scientific data about cues. I think it's all about how well it feels when you play and getting a decent tip on there is all you realy need.

JoeW
04-20-2008, 06:24 PM
I have a 1987 Paul Mottey with two shafts and a jump butt that is worth a few thousand. It plays extremely well. None the less I bought a 30" Predator Z shaft about one year ago and find the cue plays even better with the Z shaft. Paul's shafts are great and there is nothing wrong with them. The Z shaft is thinner and that little bit longer, which suits my style now. It does seem to have less deflection.

I think if I did not have the equipment that I have now I would probably buy a Predator Sneaky Pete butt with a Z shaft. This would be good equipment and if it got lost in some room I would not feel so bad. I know that now I watch my equipment like a hawk when I am out and it probably isn't necessary, except for that jerk I haven't met yet.

When you think of a "dream" cue think about one you want to carry around with you. By the time you have your playing cue, jump break and the case to carry it all you will have several thousands of dollars leaning against some wall or under some table. In that sense the Predator is the way I would go for a traveling cue.

My Mottey is a cue stick of understated grace and beauty. I doubt that very many people could estimate its value unless they knew who made it. As a playing cue there is nothing better in my opinion. I think that his prices start around $1,500

hondo
04-21-2008, 01:04 PM
My Mottey is pinkivory wood and purple heart.
2 original shafts & a Tiger X shaft.
I like the Tiger X shaft but I believe I like the originals better.
I had a Predator SP with Z shaft and couldn't make a ball with it.
Traded it for X-Breaker jump/break cue.
Different strokes for different folks. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Bambu
04-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Interesting. Anyone else have a negtive opinion on the predator z shaft? I was thinking of buying one as an upgrade from the regular 314 shaft.

Deeman3
04-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Hondo,

Watch out, your slipping mighty close to Equipment Whore Status and you know what that means. If you can't carry all your pool cues and equipment in one trip, you gonna have to get a caddy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

JJFSTAR
04-22-2008, 12:52 PM
JoeW and everyone you cant get a new Motty. Paul bought a pool hall called Breakers in dormont and has since stopped making cues. I am a resident of Pittsburgh where he lives BTW.

Joe I will ask Paul how much your stick is worth the next time I go to a tournament there. I have shot with lots of Motty's though they are very common here for obvious reasons and I would recommend seeking out a used one.

Other than that I would recommend the new "I" series shafts with whatever butts you put on them. The shafts themselves will cost about $900. I believe McDermott to be the best cues out there unless you want to go custom made.

hondo
04-22-2008, 01:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hondo,

Watch out, your slipping mighty close to Equipment Whore Status and you know what that means. If you can't carry all your pool cues and equipment in one trip, you gonna have to get a caddy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

LOL! I can't carry them in 6 trips. I've got about 34 nice cues and 3 or 4 other odds & ends.
Haven't bought one in about a year and a half though.
Wife threatened to leave me.

JoeW
04-22-2008, 04:20 PM
JJFSTAR, I live about 20 miles west of Beaver Falls or 10 miles west of Chippewa on the PA line. I met Paul several years ago when we wrote an article about him for the old Cues and News.

Last year he refinished the cue stick for $150.00 Since then I have given it one good bang so it needs refinishing again. I never did ask him what he thought it was worth and was given an estimate by a fellow at the Hopkins Expo.

Anyway, I think Paul would remember the cue as he recently worked on it. I have no intention of selling it but would like to know what he thinks it might be worth. I intend to leave it to one of my grandchildren so it will be in our family for several yers to come.

I knew he bought Breakers and thought he was continuing to make cues. His web site was running last week. When I was at his place he had a ton of cue shafts inthe shop.

If you get up this way let me know and we can shoot on my 9" GC III.

My stick
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q146/JoeW04/Players.jpg

JoeW
04-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Here is a quote from the front page of his web site

"Thank you for your interest in my cues. Currently, I am only producing custom cues, involving the player in the process of designing a cue to fit their needs. At the present time I am creating less than 40 custom cues per year, many of which are one-of-a-kind works of art. Call for quotes on price and delivery dates. A basic cue starts at $1500. A 25% non-refundable deposit is required to commission work on a cue. "

Paul Mottey Cues (http://www.motteycues.com/)

SKennedy
04-23-2008, 09:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JJFSTAR, I live about 20 miles west of Beaver Falls or 10 miles west of Chippewa on the PA line. </div></div>

Is that just off the PA turnpike? I remember going thru that area many times traveling between Philly and Chicago. Beautiful area! And isn't that the home of Joe Namath? And maybe a couple of more good quarterbacks? I also remember a small beautiful town called .....Somerset (east-central part of state)? Had a capitol building with a dome that glowed in the setting sun like gold.

I enjoyed visiting and traveling thru PA. Nice state, but diddn't like the state income tax thingy. Have a good friend who is a pharmacist that lives in a small rural town in north central PA. We attended Temple together.

JoeW
04-23-2008, 11:10 AM
The PA turnpike is about 10 miles from me. I live on 35 acres with a 250 foot drop to the back of the property and tell my friends I am a hillbilly ridge runner by choice. We are the last county in Appalacia and I really do live in a place named "Swamp Hollow" on the national Geographic maps.

If your in the country and meet a fool, you probably brought him with you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I don't know much about football as I quit watching it in the 1970s when I left OSU.

JJFSTAR
04-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Hey JoeW we live fairly close to one another maybe sometime I will get up Beaver and meet you. Pittsburgh is really not that far away I sent you a PM it has all my contact info I am off work Mondays and Tuesdays so in between the west Penn pool leagues play offs and the summer Tuesday 9 ball tournaments I am planning to direct at Dee's I will have some time just send me an email I check it daily.

1Time
04-29-2008, 08:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a similar question has been asked 1000 times, but the search engine is not working for me.

For $2,000 or less, what is your dream cue/shaft considering performance only? I am talking performance/technology/squirt/warp resistance/dampening/etc, not looks/exotic hardwoods/pearl inlays/etc.

Thanks for your opinions, </div></div>
For $2,000 or less, my dream cue/shaft for performance only would be the one I shot my best pool with. I think it's unlikely I or anyone else could dream up an existing cue/shaft or custom make one that results in me shooting better pool with it than one I could find by trying some out first.

wolfdancer
04-29-2008, 09:02 PM
I had a $200 Joss East cue....it played pretty good for me, but I gave it away when I bought my Predator ....and now it plays even better for the other guy.....(must be the wood finally "aged" just right)
I've seen a $25k and a $15k cue on display...and in the same case...but doubt either plays better then my 314...

hondo
05-01-2008, 06:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shaft</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a similar question has been asked 1000 times, but the search engine is not working for me.

Thanks for your opinions, </div></div>
For $2,000 or less, my dream cue/shaft for performance only would be the one I shot my best pool with. I think it's unlikely I or anyone else could dream up an existing cue/shaft or custom make one that results in me shooting better pool with it than one I could find by trying some out first. </div></div>

For $2000 you could buy 66 of those $30 cues and still have some money left over. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

1Time
05-01-2008, 11:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For $2000 you could buy 66 of those $30 cues and still have some money left over. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>
If only I could... and then resell them for $50 each for a $1320 profit... a sweet dream indeed.