PDA

View Full Version : virtual pool



bluewolf
08-06-2002, 03:55 PM
where i live, going to the pool hall is very expensive, so i cannot go as often as i would like. i have a 4x8 but it is nothing like a nine foot. the pockets are pretty big, so i dont have to be all that accurate to get the balls in.

i play jack nicholas and it helped my golf so i was wondering if virtual pool would help my pool and how expensive the computer program is.

bluewolf

PQQLK9
08-06-2002, 04:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> where i live, going to the pool hall is very expensive, so i cannot go as often as i would like. i have a 4x8 but it is nothing like a nine foot. the pockets are pretty big, so i dont have to be all that accurate to get the balls in.
i play jack nicholas and it helped my golf so i was wondering if virtual pool would help my pool and how expensive the computer program is.
bluewolf <hr></blockquote>

You can probably still pick up VP2 at Best Buy or Circuit city... they have a closeout with VP1 & VP2 for $10.00....VP2 is by far the better one and has an excellent tutorial by Mike Sigel...It has the BEST IMHO instructions on position play that i've ever seen and i've seen a lot....if you can't find it I have an extra disc i'll send you...good luck...

PQQLK9
08-06-2002, 04:17 PM
Oh by the way if you go to the Shark Club (ones in fairfax and the other is in centerville) you can play from 11AM to 5PM for the price of lunch on 9ft. Diamonds...bon aperitif...

NH_Steve
08-06-2002, 07:04 PM
How about old fashioned Zen style 'virtual pool' /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ? Research studies have been done that show a clear benefit to quiet, meditative practice in your own mind. Find somewhere quiet & undistracted for about a half hour a day & visualize as clearly as you can successfully executing a great game of pool in your mind. You might be surprised...

FWIW, I have Virtual Pool, the computer game (I don't even know what version) -- but it didn't hold my interest.

I also really like Accustasts videotapes.

Patrick
08-06-2002, 07:22 PM
Virtual pool 2 is bad compared to Virtual pool 3. In Virtual pool 2 you can't change the angle from the rail with draw and follow. Virtual pool 3 is more realistic.
I would play real pool instead of Virtual pool 2 and I would play Virtual pool 3 instead of real pool.
The developer of the game said that Virtual pool 4 is coming soon.

Patrick

NH_Steve
08-06-2002, 08:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr>
I would play real pool instead of Virtual pool 2 and I would play Virtual pool 3 instead of real pool.
Patrick <hr></blockquote>A virtual genius like you would naturally do better at the cyber game /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Now, if you really are smart -- you like strategy games, and are a good 'real' pool player, one pocket would be the game for you...

ObeOne
08-06-2002, 08:18 PM
Virtual Pool 3 is fantastic! I play it on Gamespy Arcade (a free multiplayer gaming program) every night. I have met a ton of great people. Also, if you play online, there's a cool rating system that keeps track of all your wins and losses, and it's displayed to the other players on the screen, so they know how good (or bad!) you are.

I started playing pool less than one year ago. Lots of practice combined with tons of VP3 playing has turned me into the top league player in my city. This WILL help your game.

Not only that, but the graphics are great and it's tons of fun. No pool player should be without this game!

There are also online tournaments almost every day and night, and sometimes there are prizes.

You can order it online from Amazon here: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004XRYW/roadragegamin-20>Click here to order VP3</a>

ObeOne
08-06-2002, 08:24 PM
I forgot to mention... the game allows you to play against either the computer by yourself, or other players online... at any game you can imagine (well, except for golf).

Here's a list of the included games:

-9 Ball
-Eight Ball (with BCA, APA, Bar, and English Pub(reds and yellows) rules)
-Straight Pool
-Rotation
-Six Ball
-Ten Ball
-Three Ball
-Bank Pool
-One Pocket
-Fifteen Ball
-Basic Pocket Billiards
-Cowboy
-Cribbage
-Honolulu
-Bowlliards
-Snooker
-3 Cushion Billiards
-1 Cushion Billiards

The pocket games can be played on a variety of tables which differ in size (7ft, 8ft, 9ft, etc.) including a snooker table with curved pockets. There is also a billiards table with, of course, no pockets.

nmshooter
08-06-2002, 10:56 PM
I also play Virtual Pool 3. I play in real life also. The game is a fun and relaxing, not to mention cheap way to play pool. You can play against computer players or real folks. Some are nice and some are jerks. The game is not totally realistic but it is after all a game and it is the most realistic game of pool there is. I used it to learn 3 cushion and when I played 3 cushion in real life for the very first time I had a 3 run. My high run is now 7 and that was less than 3 months ago. I think the game has had a lot to do with me learning. Now as far as it helping your skill, maybe. Its my opinion if you are using it to learn a game you already know it will only help you if you are a beginner. If you have played before and have some skill at the real game I dont think it will help much and you may have a hard time adjusting to real pool after the game. The game allows you to make shots that on a real pool table you would make 1 out of 10 times but on the game you can make them everytime. For entertainment it is a good value. Currently the only place you can buy VP3 is ebay.

Patrick
08-07-2002, 01:46 AM
My game improves more from Vp3 than real pool. Speed control is everything.

Patrick

Patrick
08-07-2002, 01:58 AM
In One pocket you don't need much skill. In Rotation Straight Pool you need a lot skill. Read about it on my site. Here is a strategy guide: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/film/rsp2/>www.angelfire.com/film/rsp2/</a>

Patrick

nmshooter
08-07-2002, 03:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr> My game improves more from Vp3 than real pool. Speed control is everything.

Patrick <hr></blockquote>

Im not at all surprised by that statement Patrick.

NH_Steve
08-07-2002, 05:58 AM
LOL, Rotation has a built in road map -- obviously when it comes to the game of one pocket, Patrick is [i][b]lost.

bluewolf
08-07-2002, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ObeOne:</font><hr> I forgot to mention... the game allows you to play against either the computer by yourself, or other players online... at any game you can imagine (well, except for golf).

Here's a list of the included games:

-9 Ball
-Eight Ball (with BCA, APA, Bar, and English Pub(reds and yellows) rules)
-Straight Pool
-Rotation
-Six Ball
-Ten Ball
-Three Ball
-Bank Pool
-One Pocket
-Fifteen Ball
-Basic Pocket Billiards
-Cowboy
-Cribbage
-Honolulu
-Bowlliards
-Snooker
-3 Cushion Billiards
-1 Cushion Billiards

The pocket games can be played on a variety of tables which differ in size (7ft, 8ft, 9ft, etc.) including a snooker table with curved pockets. There is also a billiards table with, of course, no pockets. <hr></blockquote>

wow. i cant wait to get it!! this sounds way kool!!!

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-07-2002, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: NH_Steve:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Patrick:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;
I would play real pool instead of Virtual pool 2 and I would play Virtual pool 3 instead of real pool.
Patrick &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;A virtual genius like you would naturally do better at the cyber game /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Now, if you really are smart -- you like strategy games, and are a good 'real' pool player, one pocket would be the game for you... <hr></blockquote>

i was glad to hear that one pocket was included in the pool games in the virtual pool package. i have watched it a lot, and would love to learn how to play it.

maybe the game can help me with the bankshots too.i know there is a physical part, but if i understand the concepts, which i think the game would help with, i do better when i come to the table.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-07-2002, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr> In One pocket you don't need much skill. In Rotation Straight Pool you need a lot skill. Read about it on my site. Here is a strategy guide: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/film/rsp2/>www.angelfire.com/film/rsp2/</a>

Patrick <hr></blockquote>

it certainly does look challenging.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-07-2002, 07:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: NH_Steve:</font><hr> How about old fashioned Zen style 'virtual pool' /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ? Research studies have been done that show a clear benefit to quiet, meditative practice in your own mind. Find somewhere quiet &amp; undistracted for about a half hour a day &amp; visualize as clearly as you can successfully executing a great game of pool in your mind. You might be surprised...

FWIW, I have Virtual Pool, the computer game (I don't even know what version) -- but it didn't hold my interest.

I also really like Accustasts videotapes. <hr></blockquote>

the 'old' vp didnt hold my interest either.also the pool game which came with my palm pilot is dumb. but this vp3 sounds great!!!

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-07-2002, 07:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: NH_Steve:</font><hr> How about old fashioned Zen style 'virtual pool' /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ? Research studies have been done that show a clear benefit to quiet, meditative practice in your own mind. Find somewhere quiet &amp; undistracted for about a half hour a day &amp; visualize as clearly as you can successfully executing a great game of pool in your mind. You might be surprised...

FWIW, I have Virtual Pool, the computer game (I don't even know what version) -- but it didn't hold my interest.

I also really like Accustasts videotapes. <hr></blockquote>

not to take away from meditation, but you are limited to what you already know. i can see myself running a rack and what position i want on every ball, but if my concepts and techniques are not right, meditation isnt going to help much except relaxation and focus.

i think if i can learn concepts from vp3, that is the mental aspects, which is a major part of the game.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-07-2002, 07:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: PQQLK9:</font><hr> Oh by the way if you go to the Shark Club (ones in fairfax and the other is in centerville) you can play from 11AM to 5PM for the price of lunch on 9ft. Diamonds...bon aperitif... <hr></blockquote>

that would be a good deal if you play for hours, but for someone like me who plays 1-2 hours, it still costs 8-9 dollars. pool here in dc ordinarily is 7/hr. that is so steep. in the town i moved from it was 2/hr.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-07-2002, 07:44 AM
if whitewolf and i play 2x/wk for 2 hours, that is $56 per week or at least $224/month. now that is really expensive, almost as much as my car payment

bluewolf

nAz
08-07-2002, 10:01 AM
VP3 great game just takes time getting use to aiming.
You can buy a copy NOW for around $18, or you can do like i did and Dload a copy from a file sharing program such as kazaalite.
if u have a highspeed connection u can dload it in about 20 min. or less
http://www.kazaalite.nl/downloads.htm
Here is a site where you can play Online Pool without VP3...
http://www.onthecheese.com/billiards/
this is how i pratice when i cant afford to pay room rates..
http://www.getodd.com/raz/zinstructions/rmbpool/rmbpool.html
Oh yeah one more thing you may want to buy this pruduct for stroking on Virtaul pool games...
http://www.miacomet.com/miacomet/pool.html

Jay M
08-07-2002, 10:06 AM
Naz,
Personally, I don't approve of copyrighted works being downloaded for free. It's no longer $18 for virtual pool, it is packaged in one of those bundle packages that you see on the shelf at office depot and walmart for $10 BECAUSE of sites like the one you cited.

Pirated software is why those of us that purchase the legitimate copies are paying outrageous prices.

Jay M

nAz
08-07-2002, 10:17 AM
that suxs that they wont make VP4, but i dont belive its all the cause of pirated software. it took over a year before VP3 was cracked. they must have sold most in that time frame @ $50+. ohwell @ 10 bucks VP3 is deff. worth it

Jay M
08-07-2002, 10:56 AM
Actually, there was a cracked version out within two weeks. I was on the waiting list for the game's release and purchased it the first day it was available. On gamespy, there were people that were stuck because the patch wouldn't work for them asking about it and when they were asked where they got the game, they were giving download sites. I looked at them and there were definitely cracked versions.

VP4 and the VP3 situation may not be entirely due to pirating, but I am sure that it played a big part.

Jay M

08-07-2002, 12:46 PM

Patrick
08-07-2002, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: NH_Steve:</font><hr>LOL, Rotation has a built in road map -- obviously when it comes to the game of one pocket, Patrick is lost. <hr></blockquote>You are right, I don't like One pocket because I don't want to choose between shots, in Rotation Straight pool there is only one ball you need to aim on.
Same thing with normal Straight pool, it gives me a headache when there are so many options I can do, I want it to be simple.

Patrick

nmshooter
08-08-2002, 05:59 AM
My girlfriend runs a website for VP3. I also TD occasionally for tournaments and offer assistance to people with the game. There are several misconceptions amongst VP3. Game piracy is not really a factor withing the game as even if you use the downloaded warez version, you still cannot play with most of the regulars online. Once you get the game and get online, you need a patch to play. The patch doesnt work easily with warez and doesnt work at all with the White Label version of the game or the demo version. My girlfriend talks to Steve Chaplin very often. He is the developer of the game. Here are some things about the game you should know if you are gonna get it.

There are 2 versions of the game:
The Interplay/Celeris (RED) Version and the Virgin Interactive (White Label) Version. The white label version is unpatcheable and therefor cannot be played with 90 percent of the online players. The White label version was unauthorized and recalled but some are still out there, mostly in the UK.

Once you get the game you will need the patch to play online. Playing by yourself or against the computer opponents is unaffected. The patch fixes some common problems as well as adds some enhancements to some of the games.

There is also the warez version, which people always come into the game lobby and insist they can hack the game and get the patch to work with it. I have heard it 1000 times in the 2 years VP3 has been out and have yet to see one person who claimed to be able to do it, come back and play. I dont doubt it can be done, but with the price of the game around 10 bucks on Ebay (About the only place you can get it) It really isnt worth the time to do it.

There is also a downloadable version of the game at the interplay website but again this version is unpatcheable so you cannot play online at gamespy.

Last but not least, there is the demo version but again, this is a limited version of the game and cannot be played online.

Hope this answered any questions you may have. The game is alot of fun and very relaxing and very realistic for a game but it will never replace the real thing. If you need anymore help, give me a yell. I go by the same name in the game as here.

www.in-stroke.com (http://www.in-stroke.com) is the site that promotes VP3 and gamespy. Our VIP's are the ones who host the tourneys and assist players with getting patches and help.

bluewolf
08-08-2002, 06:42 AM
I heard that there is equipment that makes vp3 even funner. What is it and how much does it cost?

bluewolf

NH_Steve
08-08-2002, 07:33 AM
One study I read about was where subjects worked on improving their basketball free-throw shooting. The group that used a portion of their practice time in 'virtual paractice' in their minds, showed faster improvement in their shooting skills.

I suspect that computer pool might help beginners get used to seeing cut angles and cue ball position behavior to a degree, but taking that to a real table, you would still need to learn the real view -- not to mention the stance, alignment, grip &amp; stroke necessary to deliver the cue ball in the manner you envision. I found the skills of eying the ball, and using the mouse in virtual didn't translate particularly well to real pool.

For me, it's more a limit to my discretionary time, as opposed to discretionary $ available for my billiards pasttime, and I much prefer to spend my discretionary time playing real pool, rather than on the computer. Others might prefer the convenience, and safety of playing virtual... Then again, some who get to be experts at virtual might develop delusions of granduer as to their real pool potential -- like u know who /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif ?

ObeOne
08-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Actually, it doesn't really do a whole lot to help your aim. It doesn't interfere with my aim on the real table, either. Not for me anyway. What it helps me with is position play, speed control, banks, and especially safeties. Playing against better players online is a good way to learn new strategies and techniques from other players.

Here's one shot that I learned from VP3:
START(
%JC9V4%PL9V4%WE5V6%XL1V4%]C8Z8%^C8V9%eC0b3

)END
*note* the object ball is hit full in the face.

I made this shot in a game the other day, and the people watching about fell to their knees.

VP3 is a pool simulation, not a pool game. 3D ultra cool pool is a pool game ;-). VP3 WILL help you improve.

You can buy the game from Amazon.com from the link in my previous post. I've also seen it at Target a few times.

Patrick
08-08-2002, 05:23 PM
That shot is easier in VP3 because the rails don't bend so the balls don't go into the rails. So that shot has less margin of error in real pool, but it is good to practice that shot in VP3 first, and then in real pool. If you practice that shot in real pool first, it will be very frustrating when you miss all the time.

Patrick

ObeOne
08-08-2002, 05:32 PM
Yes it is easier in VP3. That's really the only thing that VP3 doesn't have... rail deformations. These will come with VP4 =). VP3 does have english, throw, deflection, and all that though =).

nmshooter
08-08-2002, 05:59 PM
There are no specific add ons to the vp3 game that I know of. There was another pool game that had a special mouse adapter that had a cue attached to it and you would slide that cue or your own cue thru the grooves on the mouse and it would simulate you shooting on the computer screen. I do not know if that works with vp3 though. I have been told by some that it does. However, I dont know who makes it or where it can be purchased.

bluewolf
08-08-2002, 06:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nmshooter:</font><hr> There are no specific add ons to the vp3 game that I know of. There was another pool game that had a special mouse adapter that had a cue attached to it and you would slide that cue or your own cue thru the grooves on the mouse and it would simulate you shooting on the computer screen. I do not know if that works with vp3 though. I have been told by some that it does. However, I dont know who makes it or where it can be purchased. <hr></blockquote>

how do you control the cue? someone told me you have to type Q++ or other dos stuff. is this true.

bluewolf

ObeOne
08-08-2002, 06:59 PM
You aim and shoot with the mouse. Holding the S cue puts it in 'stroke mode'. While you are holding S, you move your mouse back to move the cue back, and you move the mouse forward to move the cue forward. It is very simple.

PQQLK9
08-08-2002, 07:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: ObeOne:</font><hr> You aim and shoot with the mouse. Holding the S cue puts it in 'stroke mode'. While you are holding S, you move your mouse back to move the cue back, and you move the mouse forward to move the cue forward. It is very simple. <hr></blockquote>
I have the Pool Shark Mouse but prefer the regular mouse with the s button remapped to the left mouse button....makes for one hand operation...

bluewolf
08-08-2002, 07:24 PM
I have the Pool Shark Mouse but prefer the regular mouse with the s button remapped to the left mouse button....makes for one hand operation... <hr></blockquote>

how do you do this 'remapping'?

bluewolf

nmshooter
08-08-2002, 07:29 PM
once you are in the game, you press escape and it goes to a menu. You can choose settings and then go to the keyboard area. You can then change the keys that are associated to certain commands. I have several changed just because they are in bad positions. For example, the "E" key is to adjust the english you place on a ball. The "R" key is for replay. Sometimes when I shoot, I am adjusting english and will accidently hit the r button and its starts a replay. So I moved the replay function to my number keypad and left R open. When you get the game, it will be much easier to explain things to ya.

ObeOne
08-08-2002, 07:29 PM
You can choose what keys do what from the options menu within the game. Very easy. I use the default setup where E moves the cue tip position on the ball for english, S is shoot, M moves cue ball in hand, etc.

PQQLK9
08-10-2002, 08:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nAz:</font><hr> VP3 great game just takes time getting use to aiming.
You can buy a copy NOW for around $18, or you can do like i did and Dload a copy from a file sharing program such as kazaalite.
if u have a highspeed connection u can dload it in about 20 min. or less
http://www.onthecheese.com/billiards/ (http://www.kazaalite.nl/downloads.htm>http://www.kazaalite.nl/downloads.htm</a>
)
this is how i pratice when i cant afford to pay room rates..
http://www.miacomet.com/miacomet/pool.html (http://www.getodd.com/raz/zinstructions/rmbpool/rmbpool.html>http://www.getodd.com/raz/zinstructions/rmbpool/rmbpool.html</a>
Oh)
<hr></blockquote>

Thanks Naz....I'm enjoying VP3 now.../ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

bluewolf
08-10-2002, 09:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nAz:</font><hr> VP3 great game just takes time getting use to aiming.
You can buy a copy NOW for around $18, or you can do like i did and Dload a copy from a file sharing program such as kazaalite.
if u have a highspeed connection u can dload it in about 20 min. or less
http://www.onthecheese.com/billiards/ (http://www.kazaalite.nl/downloads.htm>http://www.kazaalite.nl/downloads.htm</a>
)
this is how i pratice when i cant afford to pay room rates..
http://www.miacomet.com/miacomet/pool.html (http://www.getodd.com/raz/zinstructions/rmbpool/rmbpool.html>http://www.getodd.com/raz/zinstructions/rmbpool/rmbpool.html</a>
Oh)
<hr></blockquote>

i went to the dl site and it did not list vp3. did i do something wrong? i am not trying to cheat. i just wanted to try before buy.

bluewolf

PQQLK9
08-10-2002, 09:44 AM
type VP3 in the search box...

ObeOne
08-10-2002, 05:01 PM
Just click here to download the demo version. It doesn't have everything from the real game, however. It's just the demo. I belieive you can only play one or two different games, and there is probably only one location (table) to play at. http://ftp.interplay.com/pub/demos/vp3prev12d19.exe

nAz
08-11-2002, 12:08 AM
Kewl did you get @ Kazaalite?

PQQLK9
08-11-2002, 01:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: nAz:</font><hr> Kewl did you get @ Kazaalite? <hr></blockquote>

sure did...reminded me of napster...thanks again

Patrick
08-11-2002, 06:00 AM
You steal my money when you download the game for free. It cost me $55.

Patrick

bluewolf
08-11-2002, 07:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr> You steal my money when you download the game for free. It cost me $55.

Patrick <hr></blockquote>

I found it on ebay for 13, then when you add shipping and handling it would be about 18. We looked in the computer stores here and they did not have it. Amazon has it for 29 or 15 if you buy from one of their used dealers.

i think ill just download the demo, then buy.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-11-2002, 05:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: whitewolf:</font><hr> From what I saw on the internet, this program runs on Windows 95,98, and ME. Has anyone out there run it on Windows NT, Windows 2000, or maybe Windows XP? <hr></blockquote>

i havent heard anything. there is one game that is compatible with nt,2000 and xp. it is called real pool 2. anybody heard anything about that one?

bluewolf

ObeOne
08-11-2002, 08:14 PM
VP3 runs fine on 2000 and XP

nAz
08-11-2002, 09:12 PM
yes it does work according to this web site below
this is what it says:

Publisher/Vendor: Interplay
Working: Yes
OS: Windows XP

Works perfecty under WindowsXP Pro. Voodoo 3 3000, CA's Voodoo3 winXP driver version 1.08.00-XP, DX8
found this info @ http://www.ntcompatible.com/comp.php?cat=games&amp;idx=v&amp;sort=&amp;st=25

bluewolf
08-12-2002, 09:54 AM
thanks for the info. now i need to find it. i saw it on ebay but dont know if it comes with an instruction book

bluewolf

PQQLK9
08-12-2002, 10:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> thanks for the info. now i need to find it. i saw it on ebay but dont know if it comes with an instruction book

bluewolf <hr></blockquote>

the instructions are on the disc...