PDA

View Full Version : My Best Cue Ever - And For Only $30

1Time
04-26-2008, 06:07 PM
It's a Blaze VR-3 that retails for about $100. I bought it in an online auction in like new condition for $30 shipped and retipped it with a Talisman Pro medium. It's the best shooting cue I've ever tried, and I've tried a few. I had a problem making shots at first with the tip shaped like a dime. But once I shaped the top 2/3 of the tip to a nickel shape, everything came together. I also sanded the diameter of the ferrule and tip to about 12.75mm and blended it in with the shaft.

A few things I like about this cue. The grip is more narrow than most cues. The Irish linen wrap has developed a tack to it that keeps my grip hand from slipping. Its steel joint gives it a hit that feels better than other types I've tried. The cue has a nice flex to it, not stiff like a low deflection cue. Its hit reminds me of my old Meucci but better because of the steel joint.

The only other cue that impressed me nearly as much as this Blaze was an inexpensive Players cue with a metal joint and a Talisman Pro medium tip. If only the more expensive cues played as well or better for me...

hondo
04-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I'd be curious as to which more expensive cues you've tried and found not as good.

DickLeonard
04-27-2008, 11:32 AM
1Time the best cue I ever played with was a 12.00 two-piece cue with a Black Diamond tip made in pool heaven. That was 50 years ago and I can still remember the feel of that cue/tip. ####

hondo
04-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Well, Dick, 30 years ago I got a Meucci OL-1, " The Diamond"
from Bob Meucci when it like getting a custom stick. He made the stick for me.

It was a great hitting stick and I couldn't imagine anything better.

I still have it and still consider it a good hitter.
But better than a few of my customs? Scruggs, Shurtz,
Kikel, Olney? Not really. They're better.
So I wonder how your old stick would really hold up now?

BTW, what do you shoot with now?

1Time
04-27-2008, 08:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be curious as to which more expensive cues you've tried and found not as good. </div></div>
And why is that? The reason I ask is listing the makes/models of the more expensive cues I've tried should benefit no one.

And I will add this. Practically all of the more expensive cues I've tried were better than my Blaze cue in important ways such as: fit and finish, quality of wood/materials, solidity of the hit, likelihood of not warping, warranty, looks, changeable weight bolts, and resale value.

1Time
04-27-2008, 08:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1Time the best cue I ever played with was a 12.00 two-piece cue with a Black Diamond tip made in pool heaven. That was 50 years ago and I can still remember the feel of that cue/tip. #### </div></div>
That is pretty amazing. And I know exactly what you mean by remembering the feel of the cue and tip, as I remember that of my former SP Dufferin from the 80's.

eb_in_nc
04-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Cue sticks are an extension of our ego. No one needs to spend $1500 to shoot well since for many the purchase would not justify the expense. It's the same with cars, no one needs to spend $65,000 for a car to drive to work every day. It's a personal choice and for the most part is ego-centered.

The things we need from a cue are primarilly straightness and solid hit, and that it's weight and feel are comfortable in our hand. Everything else is an upgrade.

1Time
04-28-2008, 11:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eb_in_nc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cue sticks are an extension of our ego. No one needs to spend $1500 to shoot well since for many the purchase would not justify the expense. It's the same with cars, no one needs to spend $65,000 for a car to drive to work every day. It's a personal choice and for the most part is ego-centered.</div></div>

I know what you mean about people buying expensive things primarily for emotional reasons or emotional needs. However, there definitely can be a practical need component to the equation when spending more. For example, a more expensive car may provide significantly better milage due to better technology. And it may provide other benefits like better safety, comfort, reliability, and resale value.

Expensive improvements in pool cues also can satisfy practical needs, including being able to shoot better with it, which is not to suggest one should be able to shoot better with a more expensive cue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eb_in_nc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The things we need from a cue are primarilly straightness and solid hit, and that it's weight and feel are comfortable in our hand. Everything else is an upgrade. </div></div>
We don't all have the same emotional and practical needs, and we individually don't have the same ones all of the time. For some the cue doesn't have to be straight; the hit does not have to be solid; and it does not need to be the right weight or feel comfortable. The game still can be enjoyed and the level of play still can be high. I can just imagine some kid in the Philippines running a rack with a crap cue, or a couple on a date having a good time while using bar cues. Another example, I stopped in a dive bar the other night with my cue in case hanging on my shoulder (I did not dare set it down), and I picked up a busted up bar cue and held the table for a couple hours while shooting one handed. It was fun. I'm now known there as "the pool shark" LOL.

eb_in_nc
04-28-2008, 11:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I know what you mean about people buying expensive things primarily for emotional reasons or emotional needs. However, there definitely can be a practical need component to the equation when spending more. For example, a more expensive car may provide significantly better milage due to better technology. And it may provide other benefits like better safety, comfort, reliability, and resale value.</div></div>

Sure, but the pragmatic solution is getting from point A to point B safely which by all cars have to live up to the federal standards. If you want the creature comforts and think spending $30,000 is going to save you more on gas consumption over the cars lifetime, that becomes a personal decision based on preferences, not necessarily giving up anything on functionality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We don't all have the same emotional and practical needs, and we individually don't have the same ones all of the time. For some the cue doesn't have to be straight; the hit does not have to be solid; and it does not need to be the right weight or feel comfortable. The game still can be enjoyed and the level of play still can be high. I can just imagine some kid in the Philippines running a rack with a crap cue, or a couple on a date having a good time while using bar cues. Another example, I stopped in a dive bar the other night with my cue in case hanging on my shoulder (I did not dare set it down), and I picked up a busted up bar cue and held the table for a couple hours while shooting one handed. It was fun. I'm now known there as "the pool shark" LOL. </div></div>

Definitely agree here, also have done some mean damage with a wacked out house cue. But the added assurance of a stable and straight cue in my hands just give me that extra confidence that I can play my game with minimal flaws. Do you agree Sharky!

hondo
04-28-2008, 02:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be curious as to which more expensive cues you've tried and found not as good. </div></div>
And why is that? The reason I ask is listing the makes/models of the more expensive cues I've tried should benefit no one.

And I will add this. Practically all of the more expensive cues I've tried were better than my Blaze cue in important ways such as: fit and finish, quality of wood/materials, solidity of the hit, likelihood of not warping, warranty, looks, changeable weight bolts, and resale value.

</div></div>

Sheesh! I'm sorry I asked. Don't expect me to respond to your posts any more. Excuuuuse me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

1Time
04-28-2008, 02:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sheesh! I'm sorry I asked. Don't expect me to respond to your posts any more. Excuuuuse me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif </div></div>
Well if you can't stand the heat... no problem, just read and learn.

Deeman3
04-28-2008, 02:49 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hondo
04-28-2008, 08:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sheesh! I'm sorry I asked. Don't expect me to respond to your posts any more. Excuuuuse me! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif </div></div>
Well if you can't stand the heat... no problem, just read and learn. </div></div>

What could I learn from you? You said a $30 cue was better than some top cues you had.
I was curious which ones and you get mouthy with me.
I don't think there's much to learn from you, buddy.

1Time
04-29-2008, 02:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What could I learn from you? </div></div>
Well, based on your childish responses, I'd say you're not nearly as likely as most to learn from my posts.
---
---
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You said a $30 cue was better than some top cues you had. I was curious which ones and you get mouthy with me.</div></div>
No, there was nothing "mouthy" about my response to your initial post. You said, "I'd be curious as to which more expensive cues you've tried and found not as good." And I considered your comment sincere. My initial response was thoughtful, appropriate, and as inoffensive as it was direct, "And why is that? The reason I ask is listing the makes/models of the more expensive cues I've tried should benefit no one." Nothing mouthy at all there. I asked you a relevent question (which you did not answer) and I explained why I asked that question in an attempt to minimize the chance of a misunderstanding. Yet, somehow, you elected to flip out emotionally, as if it were that time of the month (pardon me ladies), to which I posted what I still consider to be an appropriate response, "If you can't stand the heat... no problem, just read and learn."
---
---
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think there's much to learn from you, buddy. </div></div>
That's your choice, hondo. Because of your childishness I really could not care less if you choose to learn a thing from my posts. However, if you apologize and show a little maturity with your responses, I would be glad to help you learn from my posts.

Daredevil-9
04-29-2008, 05:37 PM
I know what you are sayin' 1Time. My first cue was a cheap cue, a Viper. Costed me about $30, too! It was the best one I had...then I upgraded to $115 Fury DL. Didn't lose too many games with that one! Now I have a Viking that hit me at $450...Wow. But it's not about price, it's about weight and feel.

1Time
04-29-2008, 05:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daredevil-9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know what you are sayin' 1Time. My first cue was a cheap cue, a Viper. Costed me about $30, too! It was the best one I had...then I upgraded to $115 Fury DL. Didn't lose too many games with that one! Now I have a Viking that hit me at $450...Wow. But it's not about price, it's about weight and feel. </div></div>
Right, that's what I'm talking about. The cue may or may not be more expensive to shoot well or better than other cues for you. So your Viking shoots better for you than your previous cues? Nice upgrade, I'm sure.

DickLeonard
05-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Hondo I play with a Palmer Imatation Balabushka I have had for forty years. I just learned at Valley Forge is a Szamboti butt and Palmer Shafts.

I have always maintained its the Tip not the Cue. As long as it doesn't clunk like a Balabushka.####

DickLeonard
05-01-2008, 09:37 AM
1Time if someone had told me 50 years ago I would still be yearning to play with that cuetip I would say their crazy.

I sold two Rambow cues for fifty dollars each that the Blue Book now lists at 25,000 a piece. I still would rather have that tip than the Rambows.####

Deeman3
05-01-2008, 01:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hondo I play with a Palmer Imatation Balabushka I have had for forty years. I just learned at Valley Forge is a Szamboti butt and Palmer Shafts.

I have always maintained its the Tip not the Cue. As long as it doesn't clunk like a Balabushka.#### </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF9900"> Dick, If mine stopped clunking, I'd get worried. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Mine is a Burton Spain on the bottom, not sure about the shafts.</span>