PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a pool table light from a dropped ceiling

Riccardo
04-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Anyone know if I can securely hang a pool table light from a dropped ceiling? Are there special lights made for this situation?

Riccardo (aka Koolcat)

DeadCrab
04-27-2008, 06:47 AM
In general, no.

However, if you can move some of the ceiling tiles aside, you should be able to find some joists above that will provide a firm anchor.

Other alternatives include installing recessed lighting systems, or track lighting, both of which can work well with drop ceilings.

New2Pool
04-27-2008, 06:33 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Riccardo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know if I can securely hang a pool table light from a dropped ceiling? Are there special lights made for this situation?

Riccardo (aka Koolcat) </div></div>

Here is a drop ceiling light. (http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Standard-Drop-Ceiling-Light/dp/B0001LLXX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1209342426&sr=1-1)

You can also do a search for "Troffer" lights. They are fairly cheap and the replace a ceiling panel. example (http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=163663-337-FP-240A-120V-LE3-U&lpage=none)

I have not tried either solution. I have been trying to figure out the same thing so I am about a week ahead of you on my research. Good luck!

Riccardo
04-28-2008, 05:55 AM
DC
There are currently have fifteen recessed cans with 65W incandescent floods in the room (12 are dimmable), none of which are directly over the pool table. I tried the new dimmable florescent floods but the family didn't like the glare and color of light they produced. The floods did not dim as low as the incandescents either. There is plenty of light, but I thought it would be better if the light was directly over the table.
I most likely will have to cut access holes into two ceilig tiles and mount onto the joists as you suggested.
Thanks for input.
Riccardo (aka Koolcat)

Riccardo
04-28-2008, 06:02 AM
N2P
Thanks for sharing your research. It's definitely something to look into. Let me know if you go that route and how it worked out.
Riccardo (aka Koolcat)