PDA

View Full Version : Rule Question: Breaker Makes 9 But Shoots Again.

TomBrooklyn
02-26-2002, 03:00 AM
A spirited debate took place at a pool hall I go to infrequently the other night. Apparently, a player made the nine on the break along with another ball; didn't realize the nine had dropped, and shot again. I'm not sure if they made the next ball or at what point they realized the nine was gone, or who realized it first.

What would be the correct ruling for this situation? Does it matter who realized it first, or if another ball was made or not?

02-26-2002, 09:05 AM
Well, if two players are playing 9-ball and the 9 is made on the snap and neither player realizes it, both players need to find something else to do besides play pool.
Breaker wins! Simple as that IMHO.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-26-2002, 06:47 PM
Breaker wins! game over!

Jay M
02-26-2002, 09:48 PM
Heh,

I saw this happen once in a local tourney a long time ago, but there was a twist. The shooter made the 9 on the break and neither player noticed it. The breaker continued to run the next ball and missed. The next player got up, shot the OB into a small pack and sent balls flying all over the place and then turned around and announced the win. One of the people watching had seen what had happened and told the shooters. The ruling the TD made was that the current shooter (the non-breaking player) had won as it was his turn and had made a legal hit with the 9 being in a pocket at the end of the shot.

You make the call!!!

Tom_In_Cincy
02-27-2002, 11:00 AM
Would be nice to know who the TD was and where the Tournament was held. This info would be added to the long list of TDs and Tournaments to AVOID.

02-27-2002, 11:55 AM
I'd hate this kind of a ruling, but I think it is logical. Similarly if a 2nd foul is not called, it's not a 2nd foul.