PDA

View Full Version : IPT Online Match last night

Vapros
04-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Austin Murphy seems like a nice kid, but how did he get elected to play in the IPT online match against Efren Reyes? Maybe his supporters just stuffed the ballot boxes with a flood of votes. I was on the way to bed when the score reached 12 - 3, but then the youngster ran off three nice games and I decided to see the end. 15 - 6 was the final, and Reyes was far off his best game.

This guy Trudeau promised another challenge match in June, and said voting could begin this Friday. I think he needs to have another look at his system. It did not work very well, IMO. On the other hand, I greatly enjoyed the straight pool match, in which John Schmidt ran about 88 balls and beat Oliver Ortman. I don't believe this pairing was by vote. A couple of straight pool giants, indeed.

Bambu
04-30-2008, 09:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vapros</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Austin Murphy seems like a nice kid, but how did he get elected to play in the IPT online match against Efren Reyes? Maybe his supporters just stuffed the ballot boxes with a flood of votes. I was on the way to bed when the score reached 12 - 3, but then the youngster ran off three nice games and I decided to see the end. 15 - 6 was the final, and Reyes was far off his best game.

This guy Trudeau promised another challenge match in June, and said voting could begin this Friday. I think he needs to have another look at his system. It did not work very well, IMO. On the other hand, I greatly enjoyed the straight pool match, in which John Schmidt ran about 88 balls and beat Oliver Ortman. I don't believe this pairing was by vote. A couple of straight pool giants, indeed.</div></div>

I agree efren didnt play his best, and neither did the kid. Took efren a few games to get used to the slow table speed. The system though, did what it was supposed to do. Its comparable to voting for the all-star game in baseball, the fans decide who they want to see play. I like that.
The main thing I didnt like was the tiny size of the broadcast. If I had known that, I'd have paid the premium fee. Even on my 42 inch screen, I could barely see. Propoolvideo.com may not be live, but the quality is way better, and its free.
What I didnt like most though, was mike sigel. I know hes a legend and all, but what an annoying, arrogant sob. After announcing that he runs hundreds of balls on every attempt, and how he could beat schmidt and ortman, I had to turn the sound off.

JJFSTAR
04-30-2008, 11:10 AM
Hey Bambu they donít call him "the mouth" for nothing. I loved watching Reyes beat the hell out of him after hearing him comment the king of 8 ball tournament. Yea cant remember having that much fun since watching the Souquet vs. Strickland match TOC 1996 final; blips on the radar like that make me almost believe in "pool table justice" of which there seems to be so little.

1hit1der
04-30-2008, 03:14 PM
I missed it all unfortunately. What happened in the Ortmann v Schmidt straight pool match?

Wally_in_Cincy
04-30-2008, 03:23 PM
I watched Schmidt run 112 against the Lion in their epic matchup at the DCC in 2003(?)

playing to 300, Schmidt missed on 298 and Lion ran 40 and out IIRC

Schmidt had beat him the night before though

williebetmore kept score, he might remember better

BigRigTom
04-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Schmidt broke poorly, Ortmann ran 21 balls, Schmidt ran 84 balls, Ortmann ran about 50 the Schmidt ran to 122 and missed, Ortman ran another 4 and missed the Schmidt finished off the 125.

Great pool shooting!

Bambu
04-30-2008, 03:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Bambu they don’t call him "the mouth" for nothing. I loved watching Reyes beat the hell out of him after hearing him comment the king of 8 ball tournament. Yea cant remember having that much fun since watching the Souquet vs. Strickland match TOC 1996 final; blips on the radar like that make me almost believe in "pool table justice" of which there seems to be so little.</div></div>

Very little justice served, I agree. But yeah, that was a great match that mike(and many of us)wont ever forget. I also loved the reyes/strickland $100,000 hong kong challenge, probably my favorite. Anyway about mike the mouth, whose idea was it to make him broadcaster? Attitudes like that leave a bad taste in my mouth.

BigRigTom
04-30-2008, 03:41 PM
The Score Board tells the story /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
http://hardingersystems.com/BAT-Forum/images/ScoreBoard.jpg

If you don't see the story on the score board look at Ortmann's expression in this photo and you will understand.
Ortmann shot great when he had a chance but Schmidt did not give him many of those!
http://hardingersystems.com/BAT-Forum/images/JohnSchmidt3.jpg

preacherman
05-01-2008, 07:42 AM
I too didn't like the small screen, but figured out that if I set the zoom on my computer to 200% it was close to perfect.
On my computer it blurred a little at 200% but was well worth seeing the table full screen.

Though the players didn't play their best (not even close). I enjoyed the matches, and it was nice to finally watch pool LIVE.

There is something about being live in an sport that seems to make it more exciting to watch.

Well, I've been busy, but I'm still out here so keep in touch.

Jim "preacherman"
http://www.christianpoolplayers.com

Bambu
05-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Nice pics tom, thanks!

Bambu
05-01-2008, 08:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: preacherman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too didn't like the small screen, but figured out that if I set the zoom on my computer to 200% it was close to perfect.
On my computer it blurred a little at 200% but was well worth seeing the table full screen.

Though the players didn't play their best (not even close). I enjoyed the matches, and it was nice to finally watch pool LIVE.

There is something about being live in an sport that seems to make it more exciting to watch.

Well, I've been busy, but I'm still out here so keep in touch.

Jim "preacherman"
http://www.christianpoolplayers.com </div></div>

Good point, and that was the first live match I ever saw. It did seem to create an extra element of excitement. I should have tried that screen close-up, thanks preacher.