PDA

View Full Version : Breaking...

MAC
04-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Just wanted to get some opinions on everyones favorite break cue. Brand,weight, etc. I used a friends in my league the other night, and well now I want to buy one.

I would haved used the search option but its not working sorry. Im know the answer to this is 6 one way half a dozen the other.

Thanks, Mac

bsmutz
04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
It's what ever works best for you. I found a whole new gear on the break shot when I changed from a leather tip to a phenolic tip. Much more energy transfer for me. I use a Lucasi jump/break cue, but I don't think the brand matters too much. Some people feel that it's easier to get a lighter weight moving faster than a heavier weight, so opt for a lighter break cue. YMMV. I am by no means an expert on the subject.

MAC
04-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks, Bsmutz thats all I wanted was other peoples opinion. I did notice a huge difference in the phenolic tip as well. I found a Action jump/break cue that I like the looks of, Im just unsure of what weight would be best.

1hit1der
04-30-2008, 03:13 PM
I use a Stinger J/B. I can't really compare it to anything else though. I think it comes in at just over 18oz. I think the shaft is a little thicker than usual, which may take some getting used to, but I've heard the newer Stinger's have thinner shafts too.

Bambu
04-30-2008, 03:47 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wanted to get some opinions on everyones favorite break cue. Brand,weight, etc. I used a friends in my league the other night, and well now I want to buy one.

I would haved used the search option but its not working sorry. Im know the answer to this is 6 one way half a dozen the other.

Thanks, Mac</div></div>

I like the predator BK2, 18.4 oz. I also find it easier to jump balls with the bk2, rather than the predator air jumper. That is probably just my preference though, as I used a house cue to jump before I bought the bk2.
I find I have to aim higher on the cueball with the bk, so that is an adjustment to consider. I used to hit a hair below center with a house cue, but when I do that with the bk, the cueball draws too much. The plastic tip does take some getting used to.

Sid_Vicious
04-30-2008, 05:00 PM
You'll get a very good breaker with the Lusasi BJ cue, plus, for the money, you get a really phenominal, easy to jump with cue at the same time. Lucasi is a very well priced cue...sid

MAC
04-30-2008, 09:06 PM
I was actually looking at a Lucasi, then I also have been looking at one that Poison makes. I just dont know much about Poison, if anyone has a opinion about them I would love to hear it. The price is about the same as the Lucasi I was looking at, so its not like I would be saving any money I just like the looks of it. Thanks for all the responses I just joined and I really enjoy the site.

Mac

eb_in_nc
05-01-2008, 06:45 AM
If you go to this link, you can see some testing that was done on various break cues. They had a machine that stroked the break shot keeping the hit constant from cue to cue.

http://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_break.php

JoeW
05-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I have an older Mace break / jump cue with what I think is a water buffalo tip. It does a great job. I seem to remember reading that Phenolic tips were not allowed in some tournaments or leagues and that is why I bought the Mace. I am not allowed to break it down to a jump cue in our league but it does an excellent job here too.

I like the Mace particularly because it saves wear and tear on my playing cue. Seems to me that most break cues are comparable. They all take some getting used to.

Eric.
05-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Just to throw in my experience-

I find that just about any phenolic tipped cue will do the job. I've tried more expensive jump/break cues and currently, I use a $75 J&J jump/break. It seems to break and jump as good as any.

I'll agree with others that the key seems to be the phenolic tip. It just gives you more punch to your break over leather tips.

Eric

bsmutz
05-01-2008, 10:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, Bsmutz thats all I wanted was other peoples opinion. I did notice a huge difference in the phenolic tip as well. I found a Action jump/break cue that I like the looks of, Im just unsure of what weight would be best.</div></div>
I think the consensus has been that the ideal weight is different for each individual depending on their build, arm length, technique, etc. Ideally a couple of days with a radar gun testing different weights would get you the answer you seek. Unfortunately, it's not likely to happen.

MAC
05-02-2008, 09:42 AM
I just wanted to say thanks for all the input it has been a big help in my decision. I have decided to go with a Fury jump/break.
Mac

Deeman3
05-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Mac,

What part of Tennessee are you in?

MAC
05-02-2008, 02:04 PM
About 20 miles south of Nashville. The Franklin area

MAC
05-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Well I decided to go with the Fury J/B . Tonight will be the trial run to see how well I like it.