PDA

View Full Version : Let Congress sweat for the gas

Vapros
05-02-2008, 07:57 PM
The rebate checks will be most welcome, and there's no doubt that the economy needs a boost, but how about if they used those billions of dollars to subsidize the price of gasoline?

We need a law putting a ceiling on the price of gas - say about $2.25 per gallon, and make the federal government responsible for the difference. It seems likely that before long somebody in Washington would think of something helpful to deal with this problem. I'm not sure they are as helpless as they claim.

And we'd all get our rebates, over time, at the pumps.

I'm hoping this topic will be non-political, but I know better.

pooltchr
05-02-2008, 08:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vapros</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rebate checks will be most welcome, and there's no doubt that the economy needs a boost, but how about if they used those billions of dollars to subsidize the price of gasoline? <span style="color: #FF0000">I think that would amount to telling the oil companies they are going to be limited in what they can sell their product for. At some point, the oil companies will say screw it, it's not worth it, and close their companies down. The price of gas will be cheap...there just won't be any to be found! </span>

We need a law putting a ceiling on the price of gas - say about $2.25 per gallon, and make the federal government responsible for the difference. <span style="color: #FF0000"> That is the last thing we need. If you make the government responsible for the difference, where will the government get the money? By raising your taxes. You would be paying the same thing, just not as much at the pump, and the rest on April 15th.</span> It seems likely that before long somebody in Washington would think of something helpful to deal with this problem. I'm not sure they are as helpless as they claim. <span style="color: #FF0000">For the past 30 years or so, politicians have been saying we need to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. How can we do that? By developing our own sources of oil! But the environmentalists don't want us tapping into our oil. They say no in Alaska, no off the coast of Florida, no anywhere! Well, how about other alternatives? Nuclear energy doesn't produce greenhouse gasses, but the environmentalists don't want any more nuclear plants. Well, let's try biofuel. Oops, diverting food products to fuel just raises the price of food. Not to mention biofuel is more costly to produce than gasoline. Our gasoline prices are not as bad as many places in other countries. Our love for gas guzzling Hummers, giant pick-up trucks, boats, power lawn mowers, power weed trimmers, power leaf blowers, power everything is the reason we are in the position we are in. It's not the government's fault, and it's certainly not their job to control prices. Maybe when the price hits $5 a gallon, we will give up some things....but I doubt it.
Steve </span>

I'm hoping this topic will be non-political, but I know better. </div></div>

LWW
05-03-2008, 04:10 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vapros</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rebate checks will be most welcome, and there's no doubt that the economy needs a boost, but how about if they used those billions of dollars to subsidize the price of gasoline?

We need a law putting a ceiling on the price of gas - say about $2.25 per gallon, and make the federal government responsible for the difference. It seems likely that before long somebody in Washington would think of something helpful to deal with this problem. I'm not sure they are as helpless as they claim.

I'm hoping this topic will be non-political, but I know better. </div></div>
Gasoline would largely vanish from the market, or the deficit would explode.

Take your pick.

LWW

pooltchr
05-03-2008, 07:23 AM
I am not a fan of Obama by any means, but his stand on the suggestion of a gas tax holiday proposed by McCain and Clinton actually makes sense. If the government artificially lowers gas prices this summer, demand will probably increase as people decide they can afford to drive more. Increased demand could actually push gas prices higher. Since the federal gas tax is about .18 per gallon, the average savings over the 3 months would be about $30. Hardly a significant difference.

On a totally different subject, I am really pi$$ed at Obama today. He had one of his rally's last night at a location on one of the busiest commuter roads in town at 5:30pm...right in the middle of rush hour. The resulting traffic jam caused me to be about 45 minutes late getting home from work. My dog had a little "accident" waiting for me to get home and let her out. So now, I can honestly say that Obama made me clean up dog poop!!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
Steve

Gayle in MD
05-05-2008, 09:00 AM
How about controlling the energy traders who are responsible for driving up the prices? How about controlling the Enron loopholes that encourage corruption?

Your party's WOT, which is an oxymoron if ever there was one, along with their tax cuts, paid for by your children and grand children, have driven this country into economic disaster, along with their secret oil deals with big oil, Amnesty for illegal aliens, and Corporate Welfare, not to mention the Military Industrial Complex, and their raging profits, and you're still out there yapping about supply and demand! LMAO! and tax cuts, while you accuse others of being uninformed and dense?

Obviously, you never bothered watching when the Oil Representatives tesitfied before the Congress. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Gayle in Md.

Deeman3
05-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Hugo Chavez has it all worked out. Just nationalize the oil companies and the government can set their own prices! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r
05-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Now there is a man after gayle's heart.

eg8r

Deeman3
05-05-2008, 02:56 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif