PDA

View Full Version : American Cue Sports Alliance

JoeW
05-04-2008, 09:30 AM
I just found the web site for ACS and wonder what others know about this group. They look like very professional and I would like to know what experiences people have had.

American Cue Sports Alliance (http://www.americancuesports.org/DNN/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx)

Rich R.
05-04-2008, 07:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just found the web site for ACS and wonder what others know about this group. They look like very professional and I would like to know what experiences people have had.

American Cue Sports Alliance (http://www.americancuesports.org/DNN/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx) </div></div>
I don't know much, but IIRC, the ACS was formed by Cecil Messer and a group of others who were not happy when the BCA league system was sold. In the beginning, they pressured league operators to join the ACS and drop the BCA. They did not allow leagues to join both. I'm not sure where they stand on that point now and I know very little concerning the operation of their league. To the best of my knowledge, there is not an ACS league in my area.

JoeW
05-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks Rich, I have learned a little about the ACS in some private emails and appreciate all that I have learned from all those who commented.

jennycorvette
05-06-2008, 01:49 AM
They're very small, but we have a local ACS Tournament in South Bend, IN, and it's quite nice. The singles competition, at least for girls, was a race to 4 the year I played. The female team event was a Round Robin format leading to a finals board. The ACS only requires you to play 4 weeks of play in league. Nick Varner was there this year but I missed it.

Brian in VA
05-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Hi Joe,

I run an 8 Ball league that joined the ACS when it split from BCA Pool Leagues. The split was very contentious at the time although I think it's smoothed out some as time has passed. The ACS made a big deal about being a non-profit organization, which it's remained, while BCA Pool leagues are not although they've been run with all profits plowed back into the leagues according to the owner Mark Griffin who is also one of the principals of Diamond Billiard Tables.

I can tell you that last year, my players asked that we rejoin BCA and we became dual sanctioned at that time. There were no difficulty with doing so from either organization and now my players can play in either or both national tournaments.

I think both organizations bring some different things to the table so there may be a spot for both, at least for now.

Brian in VA

Harold Acosta
06-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Check out pages 14 and 16 of the Dec 2007 Billiards Digest magazine.