PDA

View Full Version : Jump Tip Query: Grooming

caedos
05-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Hi guys!

I know I've been off the radar, and mostly back to lurking once a month or so. That's what going back to school has done for me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I'm about to re-work my jump-break tip, and am considering installing a new tip on my Bunjee. After several years, it might be time to renew the surface at least, and maybe put on a new one.

Does anyone think that any radius is better than another when it comes to phenolic jumping? Thickness? Does texturing work?

My Jerico Stinger with the All-in-one tip still works great for breaking, but the phenolic pin is about used up with the pounding of so many break shots... either its been compressed, driven into the shaft, or is micro-fracturing itself apart on the impact-end. I'll know something more when I cut it off to do the repair.

That's all I've got. That and final exams this week.

Oz in Dallas

Rich R.
05-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Carl, I have an original Sledgehammer, with the all in one tip/ferrule. It came with a nickel radius on the tip and I have never done a thing to it. I use this cue mainly for breaking. I don't jump often and I'm not very good at it, but I can easily get the cue ball up and over other balls. My accuracy has much to be desired, but I don't think a different radius on the tip will help that.

Good luck with your exams.

Deeman3
05-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Caedos,

Hey guy. Wondered where you have been. I send a guy out for training not long ago (Tim). Now he's back here teaching everyone. He was very excited about the school and what he learned.

Get on those books! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

SpiderMan
05-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Carl,

I did an installation for (I believe) Jeff Georges a few months ago, using a fairly unique synthetic tip that he had purchased online. It was different from your run-of-the-mill phenolic in that the surface seemed to retain texturing, and would actually take chalk. Check with him to see what his long-term user outlook might be.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
05-07-2008, 12:11 PM
"Does anyone think that any radius is better than another when it comes to phenolic jumping? Thickness? Does texturing work?"

I believe in a quarter round shape. Even the quarter, at least with my economical $60 Lucasi, has produced action when asked, plus with the jump shot being primarily a "clear the ball and hit the intended ball" and seldom any INTENTIONAL english involved, it makes more sense imo to have roundness, yet as little as possible. Look at it this way, you ever played or watched stick ball(NPR)? Imagine the decrease in foul tips in that game if your "stick" was twice-three times the diameter as everyone elses in the game. The analogy really applies to the whiffle ball bat theory as an example as well.

Texturing?, I will sometimes tweak the phenolic into a cube scuffer once in a blue moon for what I term as a "cat's tounge" surface, but that's most likely more a mental thing under stress, probably my own poor execution band-aid since I don't practice as much as I used to.

As far as thickness goes, I'd install with approx. 1/2-1/3 of the customary tip height, but most bought'n phenolic tips these days already come in a stunted height to begin with, and could easlily be left as-is. jm2c...sid

Quick note concerning the Stinger comment you made,,,I have a friend who had one of these and it broke down at the ferrule twice, once broke right off. I'm sure Jerry would have kept making it right, yet the player decided it was simply a hassle and has pulled the Stinger from his carry case.

I will say though that the Stinger impressed me a lot when it was new, the jump section was great! I think there is some needed re-engineering needed on that BJ's ferrule assy for durability. sv