PDA

View Full Version : Help with researching a pool cue

theplummer
05-10-2008, 12:28 PM
I've received this pool cue from a now deceased family friend when I was 12 (I'm now 42).

I've recently moved and managed to find it back and decided to pick up the game again. So I took the stick to a local pro, Charles Darling(Spitball Charlie). He looked at the cue and indicated that it could be desirable. I'm in no way interested in selling the stick, but would rather research its origin and build date.

It's a double butterfly and I can see it has Purple heart wood on the upper butterfly, but the lower butterfly species is unknown to me. It's more brown, with very little graining, not like walnut at all, though the color reminds me of walnut.

The cue is rather short 57" in length and uses the old brass joint, and the male threads are on the tip end. In addition the tip is a rather small 10MM, and the cue is rather heavy for it's length. It has a flat area on the butt end and has a 29 X stamped on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

theplummer
05-10-2008, 03:59 PM
If I could figure out how to attach a file to this post, I have a digital photo of the aformentioned cue.

JoeW
05-11-2008, 08:03 AM
If you have not stored photos on-line before, go to
Photo bucket (http://photobucket.com/?special_track=nav_logo) where you can upload your photo for free. After registering on the site and uploading your photo you will see an option that allows you to click on "URL" to copy the photo URL to your clip board.

When you submit a reply on this forum swith to full screen edit mode. Select the third icon from the left in the edit menu (Enter an image) and then enter the URL for the photo. After entering the URL the forum software will ask you to enter a caption.

There are other on-line photo storage systems. I use Photobucket so it is easy for me to tell you how to use it.

BigRigTom
05-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Your description suggest a snooker cue, the flat side on the butt is common on snooker cues and the 10mm tip is also common on snooker cues.
You should get a copy of The Blue Book of Pool Cues by Brad Simpson (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/blboofpocu2b.html) and see if you can find it in there.
If you don't want to spend the money you can usually find this book at the library or often a good pool and billiards supply store will have a copy of it.

theplummer
05-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Ok, I'm loaded on Photobucket. Let's see if this works. http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll285/atheplummer/?albumview=slideshow

theplummer
05-11-2008, 10:35 AM
http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll285/atheplummer/?action=view&current=mystick.jpg

Try this one instead.

JoeW
05-11-2008, 01:51 PM
That is an interesting cue. It looks like a snooker cue sold on many sites in England. They sell for about $150.00 and go up in price from that starting point.

However, the tip looks like a pool cue tip. It is longer than a snooker tip. Perhaps someone had a pool cue shaft made for their snooker cue.

There are some people (of whom I am one) who prefer this style of cue. It appears to be a specialty item of interest to some players who prefer a thin shaft. It looks like someone may have replaced the ferrel (sp) it might be worth $150+ depending on who made it and the shaft. It could be worth a lot more if a well known cue maker made it. I would check with the British and Australian players as they might know more.

theplummer
05-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the input.

I too prefer this tip over any other that I have ever shot before. Yes the tip has been replaced (twice). When I was high school age, I used this stick exclusively. I even got second place in a tournement with it. During that time, the tip got broken off of it and the local pool hall bar owner put a new tip on it (exactly as it had before). If memory serves, he said that he had a hard time finding one so small, and it took forever to sand down the tip to fit the ferrel.

It was recently replaced when I took it to Spitball Charlie's (If your not familiar with him, do a youtube search for spitball charlie). He noticed that both the tip and ferrel had a gap in them and should have been replaced. He sent the stick off to his repair man and then called me and asked if I wanted the stick re-finished, as the original reason for repair was the white Ivory piece at the center had been either lost or broken, Once I got it back, All I can say is "WOW" I love it now, The whole stick is beautiful and shoots like a dream.

I've been doing as much research as I can and have found one cue that has the same brass screw, and it's mounted on the tip end, like mine, but it's a single butterfly design, with different wood colors in the inlay. Everything else is identical, and the owner of that cue believes it to be an early Brunswick conversion.

I have also seen one other double butterfly pattern that has the exact construction as mine, except it has again different species of wood construction. That one is listed for sale, only identified as "A Antique Double Butterfly Cue" and priced at $795. Now, I cannot tell on either of these cue's about the butt weight or tip width.

If anyone has anything else to add, I'd appreciate it.

Oh, P.S. I have one story to add to this cue, When it was given to me, the owner said that it had beaten "Minnesota Fats" One game. He met Minnesota somewhere once and Minnesota challenged him to a game. Once he won, Minnesota asked for another, and the family friend refused, saying that he now has the best story he could ever have right there.

I incidentially requested that Spitball Charlie be the first to use this cue after it was finshed being repaired and re-finished. He played with it on his 1890's Brunswick table that is set up in his shop.

How cool is that!!!