PDA

View Full Version : What's your idea or suggestion?

sack316
05-13-2008, 11:28 AM
Those who may frequent the NPR side of the forum will already know this, but for those who don't: I am back in the bar business helping some friends who bought out a poolhall (note: was originally a poolhall, then attempted to turn into a teen club, then attempted to turn into a country bar, and now purchased by these friends). Their goal was to bring it back to pool room status, and right off the bat we have brough in seven more tables than what was there from the country bar times, now giving us a total of ten--- with several more to come as the business grows and it can be afforded.

My main personal concern right now is that as we wait for that time to come, we have a fairly large dance floor leftover that takes up a lot of space. May actually be useful on some weekends, but other than that it's pretty well just wasted space within the facility. We've been throwing around ideas as to what we should do with this space currently until more tables can be put in. I've tossed out a few things such as foosball machines, air hockey, etc. and perhaps a few novelty fun and games things here and there (like maybe twister or something like that). But I'd love to hear some more opinions on what some others might like to see and enjoy in such a place until the new tables can be bought.

So feel free to pass on your ideas or thoughts! They would be greatly appreciated! And if your ever coming through Montgomery, AL be sure to give me a yell and come see us! We have all diamond tables with simonis 860... oh and we are the only bar I know of that serves sweet tea--- deeman that's for you!

Sack

BigRigTom
05-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Try some table tennis tables. They are fairly inexpensive and people who play table tennis tend to get thirsty!
I use to go to a bar in Chicago call "Shoes" and they were the only place that had a ping pong table. People came from all around to play, tournaments on Sunday afternoons. It was GREAT!

If you have a lot of room you may be surprised how many people love that game and it is good exercise while they drink to cool off and rag each other over the missed shots or great slams...which ever!

sack316
05-13-2008, 12:17 PM
not a bad idea there Tom, not bad at all and would be some great fun! Plus I'm sure between the bunch of us up there someone is likely to already have a table somewhere too. Heck, I think I may even have one somewhere in storage lol. Thanks for the input!

Sack

Deeman3
05-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Is Kathy thinking of having a pro shop? That might be good as I am not sure there is one in Montgomery. I think any arcade games woule be o.k. as long as the noise level does not hurt the pool atmosphere.

Can't wait for that sweet tea.

Tell Cathy I said "hello".

1Time
05-13-2008, 02:27 PM
I would be glad to offer my ideas, but it would help if you posted a rough layout of the place with approximate dimensions.

Eric.
05-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Kinda hard to make a good suggestion without seeing a pic of your floorplan.

A couple of ideas jump out:

Tables (the food kind) that can easily be moved for weekends when ppl might wanna dance.

Barboxes-they tend to be able to be moved a lot easier than 9 ft tables. Again, they can be moved for the weekend crowd.

This is assuming that your place is a nightclub/poolhall.

Eric

Rich R.
05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those who may frequent the NPR side of the forum will already know this, but for those who don't: I am back in the bar business helping some friends who bought out a poolhall (note: was originally a poolhall, then attempted to turn into a teen club, then attempted to turn into a country bar, and now purchased by these friends). Their goal was to bring it back to pool room status, and right off the bat we have brough in seven more tables than what was there from the country bar times, now giving us a total of ten--- with several more to come as the business grows and it can be afforded.

My main personal concern right now is that as we wait for that time to come, we have a fairly large dance floor leftover that takes up a lot of space. May actually be useful on some weekends, but other than that it's pretty well just wasted space within the facility. We've been throwing around ideas as to what we should do with this space currently until more tables can be put in. I've tossed out a few things such as foosball machines, air hockey, etc. and perhaps a few novelty fun and games things here and there (like maybe twister or something like that). But I'd love to hear some more opinions on what some others might like to see and enjoy in such a place until the new tables can be bought.

So feel free to pass on your ideas or thoughts! They would be greatly appreciated! And if your ever coming through Montgomery, AL be sure to give me a yell and come see us! We have all diamond tables with simonis 860... oh and we are the only bar I know of that serves sweet tea--- deeman that's for you!

Sack </div></div>
I love to play fooseball, but I'm not sure that would be the popular choice. Many people play for drinks, which whould increase the bar business. I think most young people prefer the electronic games.
Assuming you serve food, more food tables is always a good idea.

dg-in-centralpa
05-14-2008, 08:26 AM
How about a pole and some women? On a more serious side, how about a game called Dance Dance Revolution? This is popluar with the teenagers up here. Lines waiting to get on and use it.

DG

bmccaslin
05-14-2008, 09:49 AM
What you could also do is maybe add some dart lanes; we've got leagues here in Atlanta that are pretty popular, the problem is that a lot of bars will only have 1 or 2 lanes sometimes.

At the bars that have several though (4 - 6), they have regular open tournaments that usually bring in decent crowds, and if you're near Montgomery there's gotta be a decent population to draw from.

Also, how can you be the only bar in that area that sells sweet tea?! It's Alabama!!!! It seems like it would be harder to find a place that only serves unsweetened tea.

Deeman3
05-14-2008, 10:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmccaslin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also, how can you be the only bar in that area that sells sweet tea?! It's Alabama!!!! It seems like it would be harder to find a place that only serves unsweetened tea. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FFFF00">UNsweetened Tea! What Dat? </span>

wolfdancer
05-14-2008, 10:48 AM
DG, you done stole my line "a pole and some wimmen folk"
I'm shocked that someone from the Amish country would even think along them lines

Deeman3
05-14-2008, 12:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DG, you done stole my line "a pole and some wimmen folk"
I'm shocked that someone from the Amish country would even think along them lines </div></div>

<span style="color: #FFFF66">DG and I are the number one fans of Amish Strippers. We have supported them through thick and thick. Remember, it can be painful when you are forced to use those wooden poles!

DG, who you got for the Preakness this year? Think it will even be a contest? I made the right bet on the Derby but it didn't pay much. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif </span>

dg-in-centralpa
05-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Amish women... take their bonnet off and look out! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif I lost on the Derby and made a small bet on Big Brown. For the Preakness, so far I haven't seen any horse that can come close even if he runs flat footed. I'm surprised that none of the horses from the derby are in the Preakness. Maybe they will show up at the Belmont. Unfortunately I can't make the Belmont this year. I'll be in NYC, but just can't make it to the track. My daughter writes short stories for a class in high school, and she won some regional awards. They were sent to national competition and she won 2 awards there as well. One is best of show. The award ceremony is at Carnegie Hall. Then 2 weeks later, it's off to Disney, then time to get her ready for college in the fall.

DG

dg-in-centralpa
05-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Great minds think alike /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

DG

sack316
05-14-2008, 03:08 PM
I appreciate the thoughts guys... and actually the pole idea was one of the first thoughts me and one of the male owners came up with, followed by dirty looks from his wife (deeman knows these two). I'll try and snap a few pictures or something to show the layout, or at least come up with a rough floorplan sketch of it when I have some time. If it helps, the "wasted" space is really enough to comfortably accomodate another four or five tables at least with a decent seating area to boot.

Sack

p.s. Deeman, Kathy was excited to hear you'll be coming to visit sometime! And sack says you should not use the yellow colored type /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Deeman3
05-14-2008, 03:47 PM
DG,

Congratulations to your daughter, we all know she gets it frmo Mrs. DG!

Have a great time in MYC and in Florida.

dg-in-centralpa
05-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks! She really does get this from Mrs. DG. When it comes to this sort of thing, I'm lost. I can't even write a good x-rated story. I would jump right to the good part and forget everything leading up to it and afterwards. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

DG

dg-in-centralpa
05-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Sack,
Why not offer the first night dancing to the wives? Maybe they were jealous for not being asked. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

DG

Tony_in_MD
05-14-2008, 06:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dg-in-centralpa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks! She really does get this from Mrs. DG. When it comes to this sort of thing, I'm lost. I can't even write a good x-rated story. I would jump right to the good part and forget everything leading up to it and afterwards. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

DG</div></div>

Most good X rated movies are just like that. You may have more talent that you think.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

dg-in-centralpa
05-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I doubt it, but thanks for the compliment.

DG

Bambu
05-15-2008, 07:27 AM
Yeah, that dance game is popular. If kids are the draw, that'd be good. Also at dave and busters they have a car game, and its the size of a real car which actually moves in place. Another good draw, kids are always crowd around that.

Rich R.
05-15-2008, 07:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it helps, the "wasted" space is really enough to comfortably accomodate another four or five tables at least with a decent seating area to boot. </div></div>
Sack, at the end of the U.S. Open, they sell all of the Diamond tables at good prices. I think you should tell your boss that he has to send you to the Open, so you would make a deal for the tables you need to fill the space.

Just a thought. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
05-15-2008, 07:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[ I think you should tell your boss that he has to send you to the Open, so you would make a deal for the tables you need to fill the space.

Just a thought. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

And play in the CCB tournament as well, to represent your pool hall. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

DG

Deeman3
05-15-2008, 12:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dg-in-centralpa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks! She really does get this from Mrs. DG. When it comes to this sort of thing, I'm lost. I can't even write a good x-rated story. I would jump right to the good part and forget everything leading up to it and afterwards. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

DG </div></div>

<span style="color: #FF9900"> DG,

This sounds an awful lot like an admission of lack of foreplay on your part! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

sack316
05-15-2008, 01:52 PM
Rich and DG, you two are brilliant! Best ideas ever! I'm liking the way you think!

Some have actually been trying to talk me into playing the US Amateur open this year, but I keep reminding them that I'm coming back after an 8 month layoff and I now suck. I know, I've been watching myself /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

But a goodwill and promotional trip to the open and CCB tourney, that sounds like something I could handle!

Sack

SKennedy
05-15-2008, 02:43 PM
I say sink or swim! The indication is that you can't afford to put in the additional pool tables at this time. 10 tables just doesn't sound like very many and if you could put in 10 more, I would think you could at least increase you revenue on a busy night by at least 50% with the additional tables. I say beg, borrow, or steal...find a way to fill the space with tables if that is your intent all along. If not, then arcade machines that are popular and known money makers......

Assuming Montgomery is big enough, and you are the only place in town with those type of quality tables, and you are in a decent location, find some way to fill it with tables.
If they show up on Friday and Saturday and you have no tables available, folks will leave and may not return.

dg-in-centralpa
05-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Just trying to break the 10 second barrier. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

DG

dg-in-centralpa
05-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Sack,
It doesn't matter if you suck or not, the CCB tournament is all about fun and nothing more. We do a lot of sharking, but it's not serious. No one gets upset. Just a great time with friends. We also go out for dinner together. We would enjoy your company. As for the Open, it's a riot. The matches are unbelievable. This will be my fourth year going and I won't miss it.

DG

BigRigTom
05-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Another suggestion after watching this thread....if you invest in a bunch more tables maybe you want to get the word out to the APA both locally and nationally. They are always looking for quality venues for local, city, regional and national events. Not a lot of quality place around that have more that a dozen tables. I am sure they would be interested in establishing leagues out of a good BIG place.

sack316
05-16-2008, 05:23 AM
Oh, I'm not worried about my being rusty for the CCB tourney... I can carve up all of you hacks. And by all of you I mean the ones that won't be there /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Actually I don't think it will be too long before I can get back to 100%... I think most of it right now is regaining my focus, concentration, and stamina. Plus since I'm basically starting over anyway, I've been trying to re-learn on the big boy tight pocket tables so I don't get stuck just being decent on seven footers like I used to be.

I seriously doubt I'll be up to the task to play in any big tournaments anytime soon, but I do think it will be a blast to watch the open and FINALLY get to come hang out with all y'all for the CCB gatherings. But then again, I've been saying that for six years now and something always happens! lol

Sack

sack316
05-16-2008, 05:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another suggestion after watching this thread....if you invest in a bunch more tables maybe you want to get the word out to the APA both locally and nationally. They are always looking for quality venues for local, city, regional and national events. Not a lot of quality place around that have more that a dozen tables. I am sure they would be interested in establishing leagues out of a good BIG place. </div></div>

Well actually two of the owners are the local league operators /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

Rail Rat
05-16-2008, 04:46 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another suggestion after watching this thread....if you invest in a bunch more tables maybe you want to get the word out to the APA both locally and nationally. They are always looking for quality venues for local, city, regional and national events. Not a lot of quality place around that have more that a dozen tables. I am sure they would be interested in establishing leagues out of a good BIG place. </div></div>

Well actually two of the owners are the local league operators /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack </div></div>

Sounds like a good operation being set up. Only top clubs install Simonis as most ball bangers don't even know what it is.

I thought I would pass along my biggest irratation about a lot of pool halls which I'm sure most in this forum can identify with....

1. Blaring chain saw rock music.
2. Noisy video games near the tables.
3. Tables too close together.
4. No seperate area/tables for serious players. (Nothing more irratating then 6 ball banging kids on one table all standing around in your way.)
5. No places near tables to sit.

There's an excellent club near here (Vancouver) that has membership's for serious players with tables set aside for them. They have raised sitting areas for spectator viewing and lots of tournement play. Unfortunately they are the only one, most have the problems I mentioned above. -Rail Rat

KellyStick
05-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Card table maybe or just a casual seating area with coffee table. Instead of always the typical bar seating arrangement why not something with cushy chairs like maybe a hotel lobby might look like. Maybe TV for viewing the game in a homey setting.

BigRigTom
05-21-2008, 02:08 PM
One more idea:

A tournament final match arena setting with spectator type bleacher seats on one side and one end. Maybe you could mount a camera above the table with a picture transmitted to a big screen TV or Monitor above the bar or where ever it would draw attention.

This would be a great area for the Local APA Pro (assuming they have a local pro like we do) to give demo's or play challenge matches or for the APA city finals match. You may be the only place with that sort of set up.

Note the bleachers in the back ground of this IPT live streamed match recently from Hollywood, Ca.
http://hardingersystems.com/BAT-Forum/images/AustinMurphy3.jpg

Sid_Vicious
05-21-2008, 02:15 PM
If you do go with a dart area, and promote teams with perks such as the local places do here in Dallas/FW, one free shot ad sanction fees paid for in-house teams, you won't be sorry. Dart players drink and spend far more than pool players. Small perks kick back a high return, trust me. jm2c...sid~~~doesn't do darts himself, but sees the revenue easily

rodrivar
06-03-2008, 01:40 PM
I was recently playing league at a small dive bar with 2 bar tables. I dont really like the place much and I have always wondered how they stay in business as it isn't in that great of an area. Anyways while I was playing I kept seeing people walk by me to a room in the back, I didnt think much about it until like 20+ people walked by. So I decided to go back there and see what was going on. GUITAR HERO!!! yea they had a video game back there projected on a wall, had a little stage and all these guys playing a guitar on stage to this video game. They were all drinking and everything, having a good time. It was a different kind of crowd but I see how they stay in business now. So that is my suggestion. Guitar hero in the corner a little advertisment, maybe a tournament and the business will be booming!!

Rodrivar

Rail Rat
06-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Excellent suggestion. Whether it's videos or whatever.... Keep them seperate from the pool playng area!