PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 Racking Question

slipstroke
05-13-2008, 01:13 PM
For the break rack the rule states that the 1 ball should be on the rackers right corner and the 5 ball on the left corner. Just wondering what the reason is for this placement of the 1 and 5 balls?

Deeman3
05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
I never saw this rule and can see no reason, except perhaps, tracking the end position of those two balls after the break.

Maybe someone older than me can say....

Eric.
05-13-2008, 03:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never saw this rule and can see no reason, except perhaps, tracking the end position of those two balls after the break.

Maybe someone older than me can say.... </div></div>

I've nvr heard of a rule that states which numbered ball goes where. It is common courtesy to rack a solid ball at both corners so it is easier to sight your breakshot.

Aside from that, there is no real reason that I know of.

Eric &gt;younger than Dee

dg-in-centralpa
05-14-2008, 08:34 AM
I've never heard of that rule. Here we just put any ball on the corners. May not be the right way, but we're stubborn dutchmen.

DG - older than Eric but younger than Dee

bmccaslin
05-14-2008, 09:42 AM
I think it's more of a tradition than anything; it's also common to put a stripe at the apex on the initial break as well.

Not sure what the rules originally intended, but that's how I've always done it. Eric's reply makes a lot of sense though, making it easier to sight the break, since you would be gong for a thin cut most of the time.

Deeman3
05-14-2008, 10:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dg-in-centralpa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

DG - older than Eric but younger than Dee </div></div>

<span style="color: #FFFF00"> Yes, but I'm prettier than both of you combined! Say What? :0 </span>

Bob_Jewett
05-14-2008, 10:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slipstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the break rack the rule states that the 1 ball should be on the rackers right corner and the 5 ball on the left corner. Just wondering what the reason is for this placement of the 1 and 5 balls? </div></div>
That rule is no longer in the official rules. It disappeared in the 2008 revision of the World Standardized Rules. The new standard rules are available at http://www.wpa-pool.com

The rule of 1-and-5 appears in pretty much the first 14.1 rules. See Page 18 (PDF=20) in the rules from 1914 at http://www.sfbilliards.com/rules_1914tpr.pdf

Note that the 1914 rules also specify that the 15 should be placed at the apex of the rack. I believe that the 1-and-5 rule was to make the corners more visible for breaking, but I have no reference from the time. Maybe Shamos knows.

Deeman3
05-14-2008, 12:17 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob_Jewett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slipstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the break rack the rule states that the 1 ball should be on the rackers right corner and the 5 ball on the left corner. Just wondering what the reason is for this placement of the 1 and 5 balls? </div></div>
That rule is no longer in the official rules. It disappeared in the 2008 revision of the World Standardized Rules. The new standard rules are available at http://www.wpa-pool.com

The rule of 1-and-5 appears in pretty much the first 14.1 rules. See Page 18 (PDF=20) in the rules from 1914 at http://www.sfbilliards.com/rules_1914tpr.pdf

Note that the 1914 rules also specify that the 15 should be placed at the apex of the rack. I believe that the 1-and-5 rule was to make the corners more visible for breaking, but I have no reference from the time. Maybe Shamos knows. </div></div>

<span style="color: #FFFF66">Wow, told you guys you had to ask someone older than me but 1914? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

dg-in-centralpa
05-14-2008, 12:48 PM
I won't argue with you on that. I'm definitely no Brad Pitt.

DG /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

MikeShamos
05-15-2008, 02:26 AM
The reason is that the referee has to watch the two corner balls at the same time to be sure that they contact cushions. The 1 (bright yellow) and 5 (bright orange) offer the greatest visual contrast with green cloth.

JJFSTAR
05-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Mike Shamos how the heck are you man and where do you play pool these days. I want a game with you. It is John Fischer captain of Dee's Cafe 1. We just won the West Penn flight 2 league championship on Tuesday. If you thought Shootz was bad when you left there you should see it now, boy does it suck. Anyway good to see you here and just to let you know I am 5 times as good as the last time you saw me shoot.