PDA

View Full Version : took the splash

crow4435
05-17-2008, 10:57 PM
moved from newbies

well, i did it. bought myself a 8ft Olhausen Reno. i really really wanted a 8 1/2 or a 9ft'er but i opted for the space. hopefully, the table will last me awhile or be my first and last. i feel i did myself good by staying away from pooltablesdirect.com. any opinions?

Billy_Bob
05-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Buying the table is the inexpensive part. Now for the BIG expenses. Let's see...

Need a light fixture to hang above the table. Some of these can cost more than the table! (Screw on one of those potato chip bag clips to the top of the fixture to hold both player's money for gambling.)

Get the Pro ball set and a good rack.

Need cues for the guests, then racks to place them on the wall. Be sure to get short cues and a step stool for the kids.

Hand chalk and holder for the wall.

A box of cue chalk.

Then need stereo and don't forget a TV and DVD/VCR for playing instructional videos. Might as well add a video camera to record your playing.

Get plenty of different CD's with all different types of music. I guarantee than no two people will like the same music.

Then need a fully stocked bar, small fridge to hold the beer.

Get billiards related pictures and decorations for the walls.

Don't forget "high" billiard chairs with notches for cues and built-in cup holders.

Might want to get a couple of "HEPA" air cleaners to clear the smoke out of the room.

Billy_Bob
05-18-2008, 05:30 AM
P.S. Might want to make that a large fridge instead of a small fridge for the beer (Some of my friends can drink a LOT of beer!) /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Rich R.
05-18-2008, 06:13 AM
Billy Bob, you forgot to mention that Crow will absolutely need a $5K custom cue for himself. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Crow, as far as the table goes, you did good.

BigRigTom
05-18-2008, 06:27 AM
All good points Billy Bob.
Been there done that, bought the Tee Shirt too.

I have spent so much on the very stuff you listed I forgot how much I paid for the table.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I need a big refrig for the beer too!

Bambu
05-18-2008, 07:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Billy_Bob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buying the table is the inexpensive part. Now for the BIG expenses. Let's see...

Need a light fixture to hang above the table. Some of these can cost more than the table! (Screw on one of those potato chip bag clips to the top of the fixture to hold both player's money for gambling.)

Get the Pro ball set and a good rack.

Need cues for the guests, then racks to place them on the wall. Be sure to get short cues and a step stool for the kids.

Hand chalk and holder for the wall.

A box of cue chalk.

Then need stereo and don't forget a TV and DVD/VCR for playing instructional videos. Might as well add a video camera to record your playing.

Get plenty of different CD's with all different types of music. I guarantee than no two people will like the same music.

Then need a fully stocked bar, small fridge to hold the beer.

Get billiards related pictures and decorations for the walls.

Don't forget "high" billiard chairs with notches for cues and built-in cup holders.

Might want to get a couple of "HEPA" air cleaners to clear the smoke out of the room.
</div></div>

All good, except for the hand chalk. Keep that crap off my table!

JoeW
05-18-2008, 09:15 AM
Kay (my wife) and I take photographs of the players and their wives when they come over for our round robin tournaments. Print on the computer and have a special players' section in our room for all of the people who come over. Now when I refer to "8-Ball John" and a new acquaintence asks who is he? I point to a photo of the player and his wife. Helps me and others remember which spouse goes with which player too.

We have a Wii in our living room and the women who do not shoot pool often play cards, go boweling or play golf while the rest of us play pool into the wee hours of the morning.

Oh, yeah, if you have one this is a great time to hook your surround sound extra speakers outlets into the pool room. Now we have music throughout the house when there is a crowd over. The nice thing about hooking up the surround sound to the pool room is the idea that I get all that good music from Comcast and can select Country, Jazz, Classical or Classic Oldies (my personal favorite) or whatever for the crowd. Now I just select a station and let er rip. No changing cds and back to what is important, playing pool.

Did I mention the hot tub and the swimming pool as added attractions for the non-pool players. Ours is vacation home for pool players and their wives.

If you are a real pool plaer just file notches into the bar for a place to rest the cue. This saves a lot of fallen cues. Then too, I bought two cheap wall racks and took the plastic cue holders off the racks and screwed them into the walls at various strategic places, such as near the foot of the table, by the players chairs, etc. Adds to the room decor when there are cue lined up on the posts around the room in my post and beam house.

A smoke eater and a fan are definitely needed. Seems a lot of players smoke and it helps.

I also have wooden blinds on my windows so we can play during the day and not have that dreaded sun light in the room. Us retired folk play at all hours of the day.

Rail Rat
05-18-2008, 11:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crow4435</div><div class="ubbcode-body">moved from newbies

well, i did it. bought myself a 8ft Olhausen Reno. i really really wanted a 8 1/2 or a 9ft'er but i opted for the space. hopefully, the table will last me awhile or be my first and last. i feel i did myself good by staying away from pooltablesdirect.com. any opinions?
</div></div>

You did well to stay away from pooltables direct.com. These tables look great but many of them are junk underneath. There has been much discussion on Chinese tables in the market, but truth be told ALL main brand tables (except Diamond) are Chinese tables. This does'nt mean they are bad as some asian wood is good quality, but its buyer beware. You were smart to go with a good brand.

Rich R.
05-18-2008, 07:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigRigTom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All good points Billy Bob.
Been there done that, bought the Tee Shirt too.

I have spent so much on the very stuff you listed I forgot how much I paid for the table.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif</div></div>

That list ain't nothin'.
I added a 500 sq.ft. room to my house, so I could put the table in it.
The table was just a drop in the bucket. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Bambu
05-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Sounds like quite a setup, Joe. Good for you. But I'm not jealous. I like my setup too, mostly because its in the garage, in the back of the house. I have to rate getting away from my wife over the occasional swim!

Rail Rat
05-19-2008, 11:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kay (my wife) and I take photographs of the players and their wives when they come over for our round robin tournaments. Print on the computer and have a special players' section in our room for all of the people who come over. Now when I refer to "8-Ball John" and a new acquaintence asks who is he? I point to a photo of the player and his wife. Helps me and others remember which spouse goes with which player too.

We have a Wii in our living room and the women who do not shoot pool often play cards, go boweling or play golf while the rest of us play pool into the wee hours of the morning.

Oh, yeah, if you have one this is a great time to hook your surround sound extra speakers outlets into the pool room. Now we have music throughout the house when there is a crowd over. The nice thing about hooking up the surround sound to the pool room is the idea that I get all that good music from Comcast and can select Country, Jazz, Classical or Classic Oldies (my personal favorite) or whatever for the crowd. Now I just select a station and let er rip. No changing cds and back to what is important, playing pool.

Did I mention the hot tub and the swimming pool as added attractions for the non-pool players. Ours is vacation home for pool players and their wives.

If you are a real pool plaer just file notches into the bar for a place to rest the cue. This saves a lot of fallen cues. Then too, I bought two cheap wall racks and took the plastic cue holders off the racks and screwed them into the walls at various strategic places, such as near the foot of the table, by the players chairs, etc. Adds to the room decor when there are cue lined up on the posts around the room in my post and beam house.

A smoke eater and a fan are definitely needed. Seems a lot of players smoke and it helps.

I also have wooden blinds on my windows so we can play during the day and not have that dreaded sun light in the room. Us retired folk play at all hours of the day. </div></div>

OK Joe, the first boaster does'nt have a chance. :&gt;)

Our large house is on 2 levels on the side of a mountain. The lower floor is decked out like a country pool room. I have a 9' table with 860 Simonis. Around the table is high perch mahogany stools with glass and cue holders. There's a large seperate sitting area with bar and tables. We're up high with woods in the backyard and a view of the whole Vancouver lower valley from the front deck. Once I was practising and noticed a 6 point buck looking back at me through the window.

One of my pool buddies is a hunter, he says he's bringing his rifle with him next time.

JoeW
05-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Sorry it was not my intent to boast but indeed it sounds like Railrat wins the beautiful room contest.

Mine is actually a converted garage and we do live in the woods. In fact I have a woodburner in the pool room which was made from rough sawn oak purchsed from the local saw mill. Outside our windows are wild turkeys, racoons, and an eagle lives nearby. My son-in-law got his buck last year within five minutes of opening day as he sat on the hill about 250 feet from our home. My property is listed as "Swamp Hollow" on the geological maps and I tell my friends that I am a hillbilly ridge runner by choice.

So I guess that makes us country bumkins enjoying life in the woods.

Rail Rat
05-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Just kiddin Joe.

Sounds like you have a great set up, the kind of property I grew up on in Oregon and would love to go back to.

Good on ya. the Rat.

KellyStick
05-19-2008, 11:39 AM
I find a dry erase marker board to come in handy as well. Used for score keeping and to spell rules for group gatherings. Rules like no drinks on the table and so forth.

JoeW
05-19-2008, 12:12 PM
I did not take you seriously Railrat, just goofing off. If your in the country and you meet a fool, you probably brought him with you. But I am sure you knew that.

Friend of mine from the city (a blond of course) asks me how we get the deer to cross at those cute little signs. Told him we have some good rangers out our way. Then I gave him a bell for the few black bear we have around here. He wears it too and likes his trinket from the country.

I like Kelly's idea especially for posting round robin tournament results. That has always been a pain but I think I can design a dry earse board that will fix that. Thanks Kelly.

Rail Rat
05-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I use playing cards for score keeping... despite all my stuff I don't have a proper scoreboard!

I put my room together from my half of a divorce settlement, it's my dream pool hall which I worked a lifetime to build. But now that I have it, nobody on my families side plays pool so when they visit nobody wants to play. I have my pool buddies but we only play every Monday.

I liked some of your ideas on trying to get people involved, I think I will try some events you mentioned.

We tell out of towners the ocean is frozen here during the winter and you can ice skate to Seattle!

crow4435
05-19-2008, 01:10 PM
well, i have a small refrigerator, a tv and a computer set up so i can load CD's and mp3's. i ordered 6 cheap cues of various sizes so they can be broke, warp whatever. i bought 4 chairs so if there is a need for more they can bring their own. i got the racks, the aramith balls, chalk, accu-fast rails and upgraded the cloth. &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; he spilt water on it and cleaned it up.. i guess its liquid resistant. hanesworth? i think i'm ready to go.