PDA

View Full Version : PC Hard Drive Upgrade To You Gurus???

Sid_Vicious
05-18-2008, 02:10 PM
I have a new, bigger drive to replace my 40GB in the Dell Deminsion, the 40GB is stuffed. I am running XPHOME, it came on the nmachine several years back. The cables for an added HDD inside is not identical to the SATA primary, but my new drive is the same as the primary I wish to mirror to for the capacity increase.

How do I migrate from the small drive, to the 650GB drive, without losing data and, without having to purchace another copy of XP? tia...sid

Chopstick
05-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Install the 650. Partition it. Backup the current OS onto the second partition on the 650 using the backup/restore tools that come with wundows(no, I did not misspell wundows). Restore it to the primary partition on the 650. Setup the system for dual boot or set the primary partition on the 650 as the boot drive. Google it. The instructions for this are everywhere.

Or, you can throw that piece of crap Microsoft product out the window and go get a real OS.

Deeman3
05-19-2008, 10:04 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

nAz
05-19-2008, 01:03 PM
I've said a million times get Linux!

try this flavor... (its free and you can even dual boot)

http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

Sid_Vicious
05-19-2008, 02:28 PM
"The cables for an added HDD inside is not identical to the SATA primary,"

Chopstick...this is my dillema, there's only one cable compatable for the 2(old 40 and new 650) drives. I can install the new drive, utilize the partition and format ok, but just how do I marry up(total migration of the old system/application files from the 40GB back to the 650GB since both can not me connected at the same time? Maybe I'm missing the simplicity, but with the inability of having both drives inserted in the PC due to the cable format problem on the secondary cable, I don't see a clear cut approach...sid