PDA

View Full Version : How does a rail go dead?

sack316
05-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Just a random question that popped in my head. I would assume that it would be something that happens gradually over time through standard wear and tear being played on... but if that were so I would dare guess that the change would be noticeable as it happened gradually. But it seems that more often than not, it's all of the sudden "hey, that rail is dead". Anyone know of a good explanation on how this happens? Just curious

Sack

pooltchr
05-21-2008, 04:23 AM
I suppose there are a lot of possibilities. One that I am aware of is people sitting on the rail.
Steve

Rich R.
05-21-2008, 06:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suppose there are a lot of possibilities. One that I am aware of is people sitting on the rail.
Steve </div></div>
I think Steve has hit on the most common way rails become dead. People don't realize that, when they sit on the rails, they actually loosen the rubber from the wood and make the rail dead.

Another possibility is that the bolts holding the rail loosen up a little. Of course, this is an easier fix than the first problem.

The rubber itself should last for many years, before wearing out. If a rail suddenly goes dead, it must be a mechanical problem.

DeadCrab
05-21-2008, 06:13 AM
Glue between cushion and sub-rail disrupted (usually the result of using cushion as a handle, a chair, or a place to lean)

Loose rail bolts

Too stiff a glue used to bond pocket facing to cushion

Loose cloth

Eric.
05-21-2008, 09:19 AM
To add; a rail's rubber can harden over time, but this is not as common as the other possibilities.

Eric

Bob_Jewett
05-21-2008, 10:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To add; a rail's rubber can harden over time, but this is not as common as the other possibilities.... </div></div>
This is not true for some brands in recent years. The place I usually play opened with new tables about 15 years ago. Since then, they have had to replace about 60 cushion sections on their 24 pool tables. Other rooms in the area had similar experiences, from what I hear. The manufacturer has not provided any help. The cushions started to go dead within about 5 years of purchase.

Evidently, the cheapest bid is not always the best. The rubber supplier seems not to have had the right recipe. The rubber turns very, very hard.

I remember once when I was lagging on a table that I hadn't played on in a while. I felt like I hit it at a good speed, but there was a hollow thump when it hit the far rail and the ball died between the side pockets. That was with rubber less than 10 years old. The good news is that the replacement cushion rubber costs less than $40. The bad news is that it comes from the same company.

The moral: demand real gum rubber.

Loose rubber can also be a problem. There is one table store around here that is said to reglue the rubber on the brand new rails from one manufacturer so they won't have to make return calls after setup.

Eric.
05-21-2008, 12:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob_Jewett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To add; a rail's rubber can harden over time, but this is not as common as the other possibilities.... </div></div>
This is not true for some brands in recent years. The place I usually play opened with new tables about 15 years ago. Since then, they have had to replace about 60 cushion sections on their 24 pool tables. Other rooms in the area had similar experiences, from what I hear. The manufacturer has not provided any help. The cushions started to go dead within about 5 years of purchase.

Evidently, the cheapest bid is not always the best. The rubber supplier seems not to have had the right recipe. The rubber turns very, very hard.

I remember once when I was lagging on a table that I hadn't played on in a while. I felt like I hit it at a good speed, but there was a hollow thump when it hit the far rail and the ball died between the side pockets. That was with rubber less than 10 years old. The good news is that the replacement cushion rubber costs less than $40. The bad news is that it comes from the same company.

The moral: demand real gum rubber.

Loose rubber can also be a problem. There is one table store around here that is said to reglue the rubber on the brand new rails from one manufacturer so they won't have to make return calls after setup. </div></div>

Thanks for clarifying, Bob.

I should have said that "it is not common with GOOD rubber" and possibly more common with cheap rails or certain brands.

Eric &gt;demand a good rubber

Deeman3
05-21-2008, 12:25 PM
What causes a rail to go Dead?

Drive-by shootings

Hanging out with bad rails

Global Warming

GWB

Using bowling balls on the table

Lead from China

Eric.
05-21-2008, 12:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Lead from China

</div></div>

Off topic but..

The condescending public sentiment about this is laughable. While I agree with the studies showing how bad it is...don't forget WE were the biggest abusers of this a couple of decades ago.

Eric &gt;ate paint chips

Deeman3
05-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Eric,,I'm not forgetting, as I was one of the primary paint chip consumers in the South some saying that has caused my right leaning disposition. Of course, as most, I prefer my paint chips with a hint of ketchup, just not Heinz. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

cycopath
05-23-2008, 02:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer my paint chips with a hint of ketchup, just not Heinz. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

I'm as conservative as the next guy, I mean I run a gun shop for crips sake. That having been said, I can't stand any other form of ketchup besides Heinz. I realize who's getting my money, but dammit why can't Hunt's put out a decent ketchup.

Deeman3
05-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Cycopath,

In full disclosure, I like the Heinz better myself. I just have to send DeeWoman to buy it...

I feel so dirty now. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

sack316
05-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Cyco, I'm just trying to figure out if you really meant you run the gun shop for "crips" sake /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

cycopath
05-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Actually we do it for $'s sake, but crips doesn't sound so greedy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DickLeonard
05-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Deeman3 I was going to answer cycopath but I am anti gun shop owners.

How about Hunts twin sister Kraft Mayo.####

cycopath
05-24-2008, 09:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am anti gun shop owners.
</div></div>

Got Communism?