PDA

View Full Version : eye glasses

stefcarol7
05-21-2008, 07:49 AM
I am going to get a new prescription for the glasses I use to play pool..Iam a relitively (3Yr) player. What advise do you have for me.
instructions to optomologist, size of frame, etc

are there people out there who specialize in examinations/eye glasses for pool playing ??/

Billy_Bob
05-21-2008, 08:38 AM
They make glasses which are very high so the frame on the top does not get in the way of your view when aiming/shooting. Like this...
http://www.snookerspecs.com

Fenwick
05-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Or you could look into these. http://www.billiard-eyeglasses.com/ . Same glasses but a bit closer to home. Once you get the frames if your prescription changes you should be able to have them changed locally.

JoeW
05-21-2008, 09:24 AM
I bought mine from the fellow in Fenwick's link. Gordon is a nice guy, easy to work with and the glasses arrived quickly.

I got a new perscription from my local optomatrist. She took .5 diopter off the perscription and that is what Gordon used to make my glasses. Just explain to the opto how you will use the glasses and they will adjust the second perscription.

Without raving on I'll just say these are the best investment I have made in pool in the last five years.

The glasses do look a little goofy and the people in my league comment and then seem, if anything, a little envious (if they are like me in their 60s). I wear a baseball cap with mine as I feel they are goofy looking. But they make my game so much better that I can not play without them.

Get the anti-reflective option and this will reduce the overhead light glare. It was worth the extra $25.00.

1Time
05-21-2008, 10:56 AM
I recommend a rounder or oval style of glasses with an anti-reflective coating. The smaller or more retangular the frame is, the more of a chance you'll have a problem requiring an adaptation.

KellyStick
05-21-2008, 11:12 AM
I have worn glasses off an on for year while shooting pool. I have a very low stance but lift my chin high so I am not looking through the upper portion of my glasses and so don't feel the need to get anything special. On the other hand I get older and/or less flexible maybe this will be different. My current lenses are quite small and I don't have any problems with them.

I have also worn contacts. The issue I had with them was if I occasionally wanted to give my eyes a rest from contacts it would take several days for my vision to adjust to glasses. If I swapped to glasses and immediately pick up my stick I would see a curve to it. If I rotated the stick the curve would look the same which meant I was not seeing accurately. Shooting like this of course was not very good at all as I would be as much as 1/4" or more off on many shots. This is pretty bad for any shot that require much accuracy. The shots just wouldn't end up where I thought I was aiming.