PDA

View Full Version : 9-Ball - Rule Question - In the Book ?

Troy
08-07-2002, 08:11 PM
During our weekly 9-Ball Tournament last night, Player A was shooting the 7-ball to a far corner pocket, but missed. The 7 came off the end rail back up-table and hit Player A's cue shaft changing the direction of the 7.

Player B asked me for a call and I said "Ball in Hand" for Player B.

Today I looked in The Book but could not locate anything definitive.

Two questions ---
1. Did I make the correct call ? (Yes or No)
2. What's the rule in the Book ?

Thanks...

Troy...~~~ Slowly learning, but hopefully getting better at this

Nostroke
08-07-2002, 08:24 PM
Gotta call a foul- what if it deflected off the shaft and into a pocket? I even know a guy who tried this on a bank shot. He didnt get away with it.

Any touching of the balls with anything but the tip is officially a foul and in this case i think its universally enforced.

Troy
08-07-2002, 09:47 PM
OK, so you agree that it's a foul, but I can't find anything in the rules except maybe 3.21 "Foul By Touching" which specifically says "contact the Cue Ball".

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Nostroke:</font><hr> Gotta call a foul- what if it deflected off the shaft and into a pocket? I even know a guy who tried this on a bank shot. He didnt get away with it.

Any touching of the balls with anything but the tip is officially a foul and in this case i think its universally enforced. <hr></blockquote>

08-07-2002, 11:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Nostroke:</font><hr> Gotta call a foul- what if it deflected off the shaft and into a pocket? I even know a guy who tried this on a bank shot. He didnt get away with it.

Any touching of the balls with anything but the tip is officially a foul and in this case i think its universally enforced. <hr></blockquote>

well, sorta.

"cue ball fouls only" talks mostly about stationary balls and says it's not a foul to make incidental contact with an o.b. as long as you:

A) allow the other guy the opportunity to restore if the touch came before the shot or:

B) the ball you moved does not come in or out of the path of a ball moved in the shot.

then, "fouls by touching balls" talks about moving balls or "balls in play". that's what we're talking about here and it's clear that touching a legally moving ball is a foul.

dan

Rod
08-08-2002, 01:06 AM
Troy, don't need to look at a rule book, touch a ball in motion--------------it's a FOUL. It's in the book.

jjinfla
08-08-2002, 05:35 AM
BCA Rule 3.21 - it's a foul to touch any ball in play. Jake

phil in sofla
08-08-2002, 05:41 PM
If a ball is still 'in play' until it stops rolling, what happens if you make the 9, the cue ball is rolling slowly, obviously to nowhere close to a pocket, and since 'the game is over,' you grab up the cue ball to send it to the kitchen to prepare for the next rack?

Sounds like this would be a foul since it is touching a ball still in play, but I see it all the time. Is this a good faith exception, by custom, or something? Is it still a foul, which might be called on you, so you need to be sure never to do it, or what?