PDA

View Full Version : Ferrule

Jager85
05-23-2008, 11:21 AM
I am going to put a bit of money in my cue and was wondering what difference a different ferrule will make. I am going to have Meuller turn down the shaft and replace the tip and was wondering if putting an Ivory ferrule on it would be worth the extra money.

1Time
05-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Doing so won't guarantee an improvement in performance, hit, or playability. The more you think it might, the more likely you'll consider the risk worth the extra money. First comparing a cue with an ivory ferrule and one without would help.

Using ivory helps elephant poachers.

The more you value using ivory for it's looks or status, the more likely you'll consider it worth the extra money.

The more disposable money you have and the less you value it, the more likely you'll consider it worth the extra money.

Rich R.
05-24-2008, 07:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1Time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Using ivory helps elephant poachers. </div></div>
This statement is so wrong on so many levels.

Fresh ivory from poachers can not be used in cues for any purpose, including ferrules. It has to be dried for a very long time. Ivory currently being used, by cue makers, is all pre-ban ivory. I also doubt that any cue maker wants to risk buying illegal ivory. The risk is too great and the return too small.

Elephants, with tusks, do die of natural causes. Some ivory is also confiscated from poachers when they are caught and arrested. There are huge stockpiles of legally obtained ivory, in the hands of the authorities.

Because of the ivory ban, the countries trying to protect the elephants can't sell legally obtained ivory. Their people have trouble surviving and they have very little money available to protect the elephants.
These countries have had a couple of small legal sales of ivory, however, so many countries have laws against anyone buying and importint the ivory, the sales were not successful.

If they were able to sell the legally obtained ivory, it would be a tremendous boost to their economy and they would have the money available to provide better protection for the elephants.

You really should study the facts of the situation before making statements that are blatantly wrong.

1Time
05-24-2008, 11:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You really should study the facts of the situation before making statements that are blatantly wrong. </div></div>
I didn't bother reading the entirety of your elephant lesson, but I do appreciate your correction. Thanks

Tony_in_MD
05-25-2008, 04:07 AM
I have ivory ferrules on all of my cues. The reason is not for the hit, as the biggest thing that changes the feel of the cue is the tip.

I have ivory because it can be kept very clean, and is very resistant to chaulk dust and stains. I hate the look of dirty ferrules /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Are Ivory ferrules worth the extra money? From a playability standpoint no...

Rich R.
05-25-2008, 06:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony_in_MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have ivory because it can be kept very clean, and is very resistant to chaulk dust and stains. I hate the look of dirty ferrules /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif </div></div>
I totally agree. This is the biggest advantage to using ivory ferrules.

Bambu
05-26-2008, 10:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony_in_MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have ivory ferrules on all of my cues. The reason is not for the hit, as the biggest thing that changes the feel of the cue is the tip.

I have ivory because it can be kept very clean, and is very resistant to chaulk dust and stains. I hate the look of dirty ferrules /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Are Ivory ferrules worth the extra money? From a playability standpoint no...</div></div>

Thanks Tony, never knew that. I happen to have a friend who is a fanatic about a clean ferrule. He actually sands his, just to clean it. Around how much should that cost, an ivory ferrule with a new moori, installed?

Tony_in_MD
05-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Depends on who does the work but I would think anywhere from 100 to 150 dollars for both ferrule and tip.

There are other and cheaper ivory substitutes out there that mimic the characteristics of ivory too.

I would recommend you looking into those

Saber T
Elforyn

this link to Muellers Cue repair has the most reasonable prices for ferrule and tip replacement I have seen.

http://www.poolndarts.com/54-Professional-Cue-Repair-Tips-Ferrules/

The man who does this work Ryan Theewen aka RatCues on AZ has an excellent reputation with his work. Give him a call or email, as he has had experience with all of these types of ferrules.

Ryan Theewen-Rat cues
Mueller Recreational Products
cuerepair@poolndarts.com
800-627-8888
http://www.myspace.com/ratcues

Bambu
05-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Didnt know muller serviced cues. Thanks alot, Tony.

sygfrid
06-05-2008, 03:55 PM
You might consider investing in a lot stronger & lighter ferrule like IVORINE III. IMO, ivory is more for "show" than for play

cushioncrawler
06-05-2008, 06:11 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jager85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to put a bit of money in my cue and was wondering what difference a different ferrule will make. I am going to have Meuller turn down the shaft and replace the tip and was wondering if putting an Ivory ferrule on it would be worth the extra money.</div></div>Why not hav zero ferrule?? I dont uze ferrules anymore. I prefer to uze tips with a bakelite backing, theze dont need a ferrule, the hard backing stops the wood from failing, ie splitting or mushrooming. But if i need to uze a BlueDiamond etc that duznt hav a hard backing, i glue some sort of washer tween tip and shaft. Aktually, nowadayz, i save old bakelite backings and uze them.

Re keeping the shaft clean (of chalk), and avoiding damage to the shaft (from chalking), this iz eezy, dont drill into your chalk-block. But, if u hav trouble with chalking, do what i do, cut the blocks of chalk in half -- that way u dont end up with a deep drill-hole -- or, if u insist on uzing full blocks, keep grinding the skirt off the block so that the drill-hole iz never deep.

I regularly bash the ballz az hard az i possibly can, and sometimes tips come off and sometimes break (az per normal), but i hav had zero problems with the woody ends of the shafts. madMac.