PDA

View Full Version : Adam Pool Cue

mikgordon
05-26-2008, 04:40 AM
I picked up a Adam pool cue at a yeard sale yesterday and was wondering if any one new much about them. It has a grey stained butt with the letters IV printed on the butt cap along with the Adam logo. Any information would be great.

Rich R.
05-26-2008, 06:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikgordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I picked up a Adam pool cue at a yeard sale yesterday and was wondering if any one new much about them. It has a grey stained butt with the letters IV printed on the butt cap along with the Adam logo. Any information would be great. </div></div>
I don't know a lot about them, other than they are production cues. They are most likely made in Asia and it should be a good cue for a beginner.

Fenwick
05-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Adam cues Started in 1968 by Richard Helmstetter and using his expertise in woodworking,
he helped create the finest line of production custom cues in the world.
Adam pool cues are made in Japan.

The above statement is from the link below. I have no first hand knowledge regarding Adams cues.

http://www.cheapcues.com/Adam_pool_cues.asp

eb_in_nc
05-26-2008, 12:20 PM
I own a 15 year old Adam cue and it still hits well. As stated by Rich, they are good beginner cues.

mikgordon
05-27-2008, 04:01 AM
Thanks everyone

Deeman3
05-27-2008, 08:28 AM
I have an Adams from 1970 I bought new. They are very nice cues, epecially from this period as Richard designed and oversaw their quality. I think they were the best production cues of the era.

DickLeonard
05-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Fenwick Richard Helmstetter went on to create Big Bertha and the Calloway GolfClub Company. I don't think he ever thinks about a pool cue these days.####

Deeman3
05-27-2008, 10:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fenwick Richard Helmstetter went on to create Big Bertha and the Calloway GolfClub Company. I don't think he ever thinks about a pool cue these days.#### </div></div>

<span style="color: #FFFF66"> Yep,

He showed the only way for a pool player to make money is to get into another business! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </span>

SpiderMan
05-27-2008, 01:01 PM
I believe Adam cues were imported from Japan and distributed by Palmer billiards co. in the 1970s and early 1980s. The complete Adam line was shown in Palmer's dealer literature, and some of the Adam cues featured the same joints as the Palmer cues. Adam was also one of the first lines of cues to feature shaft interchangeability, ie you could purchase a replacement shaft without sending in the butt for fitment.

I would not be surprised to find that some of the Adam cues would be collector's items today.

BTW, the "Palmer" branded cues sold today are not the same as those of the '70s, apparently the name is now attached to a line of cheap Chinese imports.

SpiderMan

Fran Crimi
05-27-2008, 01:34 PM
My first cue was an Adams. I always remember the name with an 's' on the end. Maybe it's just what we used to call them back in the 70's. I still have it somewhere. It's tiger-striped wood with a lavender wrap. It cost $35 plus tax. I eventually graduated to a Palmer but that Adams was a good hitting cue. Were they made in Japan back then too? I think maybe not.

Fran

Deeman3
05-27-2008, 03:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My first cue was an Adams. I always remember the name with an 's' on the end. Maybe it's just what we used to call them back in the 70's. I still have it somewhere. It's tiger-striped wood with a lavender wrap. It cost $35 plus tax. I eventually graduated to a Palmer but that Adams was a good hitting cue. Were they made in Japan back then too? I think maybe not.

Fran </div></div>

Fran,

Yes, with the exception of the original masters that Richard made up, they were all made in Japan to my knowledge and as you said, they were very good hitting cues. Mine still is. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

ought2Ba5
05-30-2008, 06:41 PM
I've been playing with mine for 20+ years. It was the first, and only cue I ever bought. It's still straight.

I've thought about new cues often over the years, but the Adam is like an old pair of bluejeans. Tough to give up.

It's a very simple Dark brown with orange tips, and no wrap. For some reason I have something against wrap.

I play league pool (APA) 2 nights a week in the 5 - 6 SL range. I can't see changing now.

DickLeonard
05-31-2008, 01:03 PM
ought2ba5 I replaced a Rambow with a Paradise and the first day I ran 185 balls with it. So Change is Good. Find the right Tip is the secret.

I am sick when I see my rambow is worth 25,000 in the Pool Cue Blue Book. The Paradise played better and my Palmer played better than all of them.####