PDA

View Full Version : christian pool league

bluewolf
08-08-2002, 06:57 AM
Preacherman,

What are your requirements gonna be to join this league? Will it be kind of loose or do the people in it have to endorse a particular doctrine? Do they have to be non-drinkers? Non-smokers?

bluewolf

rackmup
08-08-2002, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr>Do they have to be non-drinkers? Non-smokers?<hr></blockquote>

The bible doesn't condemn drinking alchoholic beverages but does speak against being "drunk" (see below.)

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>The Bible sometimes portrays alcohol as something good and enjoyable. Jesusí first miracle involved turning water into wine for a wedding celebration. (John 2:3-11) Psalm 104 says, "He makes grass to grow for the cattle, and plants for man to cultivateóbringing forth food from the earth; wine that gladdens the heart of man, oil to make his face shine, and bread that sustains his heart." (v. 14-15)

The Bible forbids drunkenness. Although the Bible never says that alcohol itself is sinful, it does say many times that drunkenness is a sin. God says, "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit." (Ephesians 5:6) In fact, there are many verses in the Bible which speak out against drunkenness. (For a few examples, see Romans 13:13; Galatians 5:19-21; 1 Peter 4:3.)
<hr></blockquote>

What does the Bible say about smoking? You will find no text that says, "Thou shalt not smoke." Tobacco is not mentioned in the Bible for a very good reason; its use is of comparatively recent origin and was not known in Bible times. In fact, Western Europe was introduced to it from the Americas in the sixteen century.

Just an FYI,

Ken

bluewolf
08-08-2002, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: bluewolf:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; Do they have to be non-drinkers? Non-smokers?&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

The bible doesn't condemn drinking alchoholic beverages but does speak against being "drunk".

Just an FYI,

Ken <hr></blockquote>

Personally I dont drink, but that is a personal thing. i dont think the bible condemns having a glass of wine so I have no condemnation.

I also know christians who smoke but it is a bad habit just like being obese.

I also know christians who have different beliefs. ex- presbytarians have some differences than say baptists or lutherans or catholics.

So was really curious about the 'rules' for this new league.

bluewolf

Drake
08-08-2002, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure about the CPL but I do know about the CPPA. I spoke to Jim yesterday and expressed my beliefs about there being a big difference between wagering on one's pool game and plain out gambling. His response was that Nobody's perfect and Yes, there is a difference between the two. Gambling is usually directly related to betting to high and sort of a drug addicted "fix". Wagering is betting within one's limit that really has no repercussions on one's lifestyle......It's just like playing around with stock market. So, In MY OPINION, One can wager and have an ocassional drink and still be a christian. Jim said the CPPA would gladly accept me as a member This is usually a very touchy subject and EVERYONE has different feelings on the subject....hence...so many different types of religions.

TomBrooklyn
08-08-2002, 10:14 AM
Interesting question bluewolf.

I'll be interested to see if The Christian League adopts the Biblically supported opposition to homosexuality. Maybe it will be a don't ask, don't tell league.

Also, will women who practice birth control be allowed to join?