PDA

View Full Version : Sack's Endtime Prophecy

sack316
06-02-2008, 03:29 PM
Wrote this real quick as a post elsewhere, but figured I'd share it here as well /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

For those who look at and study all the armageddon and end times prophecies, you know the signs of some of these thousand plus year old predicitions coming to light in recent time. The rebuilding of Babylon for tourism purposes (they will flock to Babylon...), certain world leaders coming into place saying they will feed the world (the antichrist will come and feed the hungry...), etc. etc. etc. All pretty wild stuff..... BUT......

your old friend Sack has indesputable proof that our world will end before we get to see 2009. What is this evidence you ask? Well the Cubs have the best record in baseball! They have become favored to win their first world series title since 1908. Now, as a lifelong Cubs fan I can dare say I am an expert on the Chicago franchise, even to the point where I did a speech and presentation on their curse. Even I know, that no matter what, something will prevent them from winning a championship.

So I shall coin it "Sack's endtime Prophecy". The time is late October/ early November. The Cubs are one game away from winning the world series... game 6 in Chicago to be exact. Bottom of the ninth, two men out, Kerry Wood is on the mound attempting to get the final out to end the 100 year drought. Suddenly, all life will cease and our world will end.

That's it, that's how it gonna go down. So enjoy life to the fullest for the next few months. The only possible hole in my theory is that I'm assuming Wood can stay healthy for an entire season...

Sack

wolfdancer
06-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Sack, no team is more snake bit then the NY/SF Giants....they always found a way to lose the final game, and in 1989 they even added an earthquake in the mix.
I'm sure though that I did see a mention of the Cubbies in Revelations....

hondo
06-03-2008, 06:07 AM
A few years ago an acquaintance of mine said ,
" You can tell the world is changing when the best golfer is black, the best rapper is white, the tallest NBA player is Chinese, and the Germans don't want to fight anymore."

LWW
06-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Manny Ramirez broke the Curse of the Bambino.

Cincinnati Reds, just before the 1990 playoffs, management begged Pedro Borbon to remove the curse he had placed on them after being traded. Borbon agreed and the Reds pulled off one of the greatest upsets in World Series history.

According to the descendants of Billy Sianis the curse on the Cubs is easy to break ... all they need do is have a change of heart allow billy goats into Wrigley Field because the like them and not as a publicity stunt.

This curse has gone so far that having the most ex Cubs on your roster seems to to tilt the scales against you.

Hiring Lou Piniella might trick the curse however since he has many goatish tendencies yet was a beloved manager everywhere he has managed.

It wouldn't hurt to buy him a billy goat however, they would probably get along fine.

"CURSE OF THE BAMBINO!" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Bambino)

"THE CURSE OF PEDRO BORBON!" (http://www.chinmusic.net/borbon.html)

"THE CURSE OF THE BILLY GOAT!" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Billy_Goat)

LWW

sack316
06-03-2008, 11:03 AM
LWW, I actually agree with you about the goat thing. I've always known about the curse since I was little and had a general idea about it, but a 6 minute speech I was supposed to give about it actually turned into about a 20 minute presentation after I researched it deeply... there was just so much that I didn't feel should be left out simply to comform to time restraints /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Hondo, I've heard that quote before too... always loved it! Now there's a few more things to add to it... perhaps both the Cubs, and some other things but I won't get this thread going political /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

And wolfie, while I agree the Giants stuff is pretty bad as well, I still don't think it can compare to that of the Cubs or the Sox... now that the Sox's is over maybe they can jump up to the #2 spot, but I just can't place a team that has still at least won and made appearances in the World Series more recently than the Cubs have even made it there above them. Hopefully after this year that can change though, my friend!

Oh, and one more for LWW... I know you're a Reds fan... and I tell ya, they have a stockpile of young talent coming up, so good that if they can manage to hold on to most of it they will be a force to deal with in the next few years. I think if they unload Griffey after this season or next, and use that money to keep all those blue chippers happy and loyal, that you may again soon see another title in Cincy

Sack

LWW
06-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Griffey's contract is up unless they Reds pick up his option at $16.5M ... which they won't.

He may stay at a greatly reduced rate and I hope he does.

As to talent, yes. The rotation has Harang, Volquez, and Cueto who are all young with Homer Bailey and Bobby Livingston are not far behind. Jared Burton, Matt Belisle have a lot of promise. All are under 30 except Harang who turned 30 last month. Several are 25 or younger. Bronson Arroyo is tough and only 31. They desperately needed a closer and signed Francisco Cordero in the offseason, and at 33 he's the graybeard so to speak of their key pitchers

Jay Bruce and Adam Dunn are the other 2/3's of a great outfield. A lot of people want to get rid of Dunn ... and I think they're nutjobs. Ryan Freel and Jerry Hairston are probably the 2best utility player in the game and are 30 and 31.

Brandon Phillips, Joey Votto, Paul Janish, Edwin Encarnacion, and Jeff Keppinger are a strong young infield and the oldest is 28.

We need a catcher and may have it in Ryan Hannigan at AAA. Good hitter, no power.

The new ownership are baseball people who know how to win in a small market and have money.

LWW

sack316
06-04-2008, 04:28 AM
I love players like Freel and Hairston... just the grinders who do their jobs day in and day out. I know with my Cubbies the likes of Lee, Soriano, Ramirez, Dempster (who is finally showing what a good starter I said he was years ago when he was in Florida), Wood, etc. will all get top billing and deservedly recieve a lot of credit for any success. But if you ask a guy like me who the biggest part of the Cubs success is thus far this year, I'm gonna say we couldn't do it without Mark DeRosa. I love a guy who can fill in for any injury/ off days for someone else and play the position well, and at the same time then go ride the pine for a few games and suddenly jump off the bench to pinch hit, and still play like he hasn't missed a beat.

Sack

p.s. then again I am a bit biased towards utility men, because that's what I was too /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

LWW
06-04-2008, 07:29 AM
The scary guy is Jay Bruce ... who it seems may have sold his soul to Satan for a good price.

LWW

sack316
06-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Jay Bruce... Jay Bruce is a freak!

Sack

LWW
06-04-2008, 12:36 PM
A very polite and intelligent young man with a phenomenal work ethic as well.

When he was in Dayton 2 years ago his car was routinely first in the players parking lot and last to leave.

LWW

sack316
06-04-2008, 12:55 PM
yeah, I love guys like that. A good friend of mine, Marlon Anderson (currently with the Mets) is a player like that. He was drafted and playing in the minors when I was in high school. Now, he was never the biggest, strongest, or fastest player around. He wasn't even close to the most talented player in this area when he was coming up. But he worked freakin hard! Even in the minors, when he had time off and would come visit with family and friends, he was at every high school practice with us. Not to gloat, or show off, or "give back"... he was there to be on the field and work (which did consequently give us all a small thrill too!).

Although he wasn't ever the top blue chipper talent wise, his hard work developed him into an all american in college, and now what is a decade plus career in the majors. He probably won't ever see an All-Star game, and won't be a hall of famer... but as what was considered the least talented of 3 brothers, he's proof of what hard work can do, as he is the only one who "made it" all the way.

Now mix all that hard work with some good natural talent and ability, and you get a Jay Bruce /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack