PDA

View Full Version : On the subject of life and pool and CCB'ers

rackmup
08-08-2002, 08:28 AM
Have you ever really stepped back and looked at your life? I mean, really looked and seen everything? The good and the bad? I've had time to do so in the past four months and I have to say, while I viewed a lot that I didn't like, I discovered some other areas that I have spent a lifetime overlooking.

Since moving to Texas, I have learned to appreciate God's gifts a little more. The wildlife, the landscape, the green trees and rolling prairies. Texas is the only place where I have lived that allows you to be withing 30 minutes of the largest city, yet feel like you are in the country. Texas is beautiful.

I've also learned to appreciate how much my children really mean to me. It's tough being so far from home and not being able to see my beautiful daughters. I am missing so much in their lives. They are getting older and those Father/Daughter times are eluding us.

I've discovered that complete strangers (CCB'ers) can be your best friends in your "time of need". Other CCB'ers that I have met (or spoken with) are wonderful as well (Ward, Spiderman, SPetty, Scott Lee, Dr D and Sid Vicious.)

I have spent more time in Church since moving to Texas than I had in my entire time in Arizona. It has brought me peace in a time of great personal turmoil. It is something that may not be FOR everyone but is THERE for anyone.

I've also learned that even though I have felt at "rock bottom" many times recently, there are others out there in far more precarious positions.

I appreciate my friends at CLICK'S in Arlington (Steve "ABear", Les M., Crazy Jack, Mike N., Don W., Ed, Jack, Doc, Robin, Hank and others) and at HAWLEY'S in Dallas (Michelle, Sharon, Walter and Ed.) They have allowed me time to "vent" and have helped in ways that cannot receive sufficient thanks.

I've learned to swallow my pride and accept help when it is offered.

My league team is a welcome break every Tuesday night. Even though they are all a little crazy, they are wonderful people.

I've even learned to appreciate my dogs a little more. I can yell at them, put them outside, kick them off the furniture and force them to endure the often needed bath and yet, they still greet me at the door everyday, at a time when no one else does and their love is unconditional (except for the occasional Milk Bone.)

Perhaps it is a good thing to be forced during the "down" times to look at one's life. It puts everything into greater perspective, makes us stronger and gives us direction.

I will be 44 this Sunday. I am not at the position in life that I dreamed I would be at 44 but at least I am here, with my health, my friends and family (near and far), my cues and my dogs.

I have it better than a lot of people and I live in a great country. We have what is truly a very short time here on this earth and I have learned that it is far better to move forward, step over the obstacles and reach the next challenge than to remain stuck in the past, fighting the same battles that cannot be won and complaining about it.

Thanks to all of you who have been there for me, for lending a compassionate ear and for the private messages that made me stronger. You all know who you are and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lastly, I apologize for the long post. To those casual "lurkers" that don't understand the post, at least understand that I am taking the time to do something we often forget to do in our busy lives; to offer simple thanks to others.

Sincerely,

Ken (getting better everyday)

Paul_Mon
08-08-2002, 08:34 AM
tap..tap...tap

Thanks for the reminder

Kato
08-08-2002, 08:39 AM
>~~~~~~SPEECHLESS

Kato

Sid_Vicious
08-08-2002, 08:45 AM
I've often found the clearest vision comes at the bottom of emotions, sometimes as simple as seeing a glorious sunset, the smile of a stranger or the wave of a playing toddler sitting on someone's front lawn. The tiny things in life are the biggest sometimes...sid

Lester
08-08-2002, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> Have you ever really stepped back and looked at your life?
Sincerely,

Ken (getting better everyday) <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift - - - that's why it's called "the present". thanks for the reminder Ken. ***Lester***

Doctor_D
08-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Good afternoon:

An early Happy Birthday to you my dear Ex!!! Remembering that your Birthday falls exactly Three (3) days after mine /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Take care, we are here if you need us.

Dr. D.

rackmup
08-08-2002, 09:55 AM
Well, Happy Birthday to you my dear ex! I always forgot the important dates (birthdays, anniversaries and trash day.)

Regards,

Ken

Sid_Vicious
08-08-2002, 10:01 AM
It's easy to remember birthdays and anniversaries,,,just align taking the trash out to that date every year and you won't forget the other ;-) sid~~~Male Improvement 101

Doctor_D
08-08-2002, 10:15 AM
Good afternoon Pookie:

Well my dear Ex, now that you will be "44", we can chalk your absent mindedness up to having had experienced a "Senior Moment" !!!

/ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Dr. D.

Kato
08-08-2002, 10:40 AM
Ken, that's why women invented calendars, they idiot proof it for us not to get in trouble. Have a woman you know write in your trash days on the calendar, if not, send me a calendar and my Mom will do it.

Kato~~~a real bundle of help.

Lester
08-08-2002, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> Well, Happy Birthday to you my dear ex! I always forgot the important dates (birthdays, anniversaries and trash day.)

Regards,

Ken <hr></blockquote>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Ken, I take Ginko-Biloba that helps alot with that - - -(when I remember to take it). ***Lester***

SPetty
08-08-2002, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Doctor_D:</font><hr> ...your Birthday falls exactly Three (3) days after mine <hr></blockquote>Dr. D! That means that *today* is your birthday!

Happy birthday to you, my dear.

SPetty
08-08-2002, 11:53 AM
Nice post, Ken. You'll find in the next few months (especially at the open - I am so jealous!) that the more CCBers you meet, the better they get! I cherish my meetings with each CCBer that I didn't know before. You are already a little bit mistaken when you refer to the CCBers as "strangers". We know each other before we even know each other, and we are already the best of friends.

So, are we going to do your birthday party thing this Sunday?

Doctor_D
08-08-2002, 12:03 PM
Good afternoon SPetty!

Yes, today is my Birthday... 48 years young...

Time sure flies when you are having fun...

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Dr. D.

Karatemom
08-08-2002, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lester:</font><hr>
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift - - - that's why it's called "the present". thanks for the reminder Ken. ***Lester*** <hr></blockquote>

That's a beautiful saying. I think that story jilted us all.

Heide ~ thinks of her life and smiles

Karatemom
08-08-2002, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SPetty:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Doctor_D:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; ...your Birthday falls exactly Three (3) days after mine &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;Dr. D! That means that *today* is your birthday!

Happy birthday to you, my dear. <hr></blockquote>

As long as we're on the subject of birthdays, mine is the 15th and Christ's is the 19th of this month. 33 and 10 respectively. Happy Birthday to you, Dr. D., and in case I forget, Happy Birthday to you Ken.

Heide ~ now knows 2 more people who have August birthdays!!!

bluewolf
08-08-2002, 02:06 PM
This is a pretty amazing group! Havent been here that long to really know anybody but find those whose posts I have read to be very supportive and non-judgemental. The humor here is nice too.

bluewolf

Michelle
08-08-2002, 03:41 PM
Ken,
*smiling*
We all get caught up in the things that are going wrong in our lives, no matter how small the problems are. It's always nice to be reminded of just how "OK" you really are, in comparision to many others. Thanks for the reminder, and thanks for your thoughts. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

"Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger."
It also makes us smarter! /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
08-08-2002, 05:25 PM
One of my favorite definitions of Friendship is:

"Friends" are people that "know all about you" and, still like you..

Ken.. its got to get better.. always does..

08-08-2002, 08:34 PM
My favorite is "An aquaintance will help you move furniture. A friend will help you move bodies." (Lorri hopes it won't come to this! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif )

Scott Lee
08-08-2002, 10:38 PM
Nice post, Ken! Happy Birthday to YOU, Dr. D, Heide, and Crist...and any other August CCB'ers! LOL

Scott Lee

MikeM
08-09-2002, 07:11 AM
Glad to see you getting back to the brighter side Ken. Your right about this board. Many wonderful people here. I feel like I've doubled my number of good friends since I joined in March. Your posts have always been a highlight of the CCB. Have a great birthday!

MM

Ralph S.
08-09-2002, 06:19 PM
Ken, that is a very good and well thought article. I too, have had to do some re-evaluating recently and must agree alot with the way you seem to feel about things. I am off for some much needed practice. Take care.
Ralph S.