PDA

View Full Version : APA 9 ball rule

Cotton
06-05-2008, 12:40 PM
One rule I don't like in APA 9 ball is the No push after the break rule. It's never any fun to break and be hooked right out of the gate. Not sure why they don't allow a push out after the break, nobody has been able to give me a really good reason for it.

BrakenRun
06-05-2008, 02:23 PM
I totally agree! I play in the APA Masters and they will allow the push. I don't really know but my thought is that the regular 9ball and 8ball is specifically designed for the beginners and average players. I think that they don't want to throw in too much of a strategy factor into the game. The no push rule is much more of an advantage for the lesser player. This is just what my thoughts are. Brakenrun

bmccaslin
06-05-2008, 02:33 PM
I also hate the no-push rule; but I'm also not a fan of the format in general.

I would much rather the 9-ball league be a race to x-number-of-racks like it is in 8-ball.

SpiderMan
06-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Spotting games in 9-ball is not a very effective method of handicapping players whose skill levels are far apart. The expert player will only lose "entire games" to the beginner in a somewhat random fashion, and quite infrequently.

Not that I'm a fan of 9-ball, in general /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

SpiderMan

eb_in_nc
06-05-2008, 02:43 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmccaslin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also hate the no-push rule; but I'm also not a fan of the format in general.

I would much rather the 9-ball league be a race to x-number-of-racks like it is in 8-ball. </div></div>

I grew up playing 9-ball and love the game, but have no desire to play it in the APA as it seems to be more suited for the lower skill level player (no push out rule being one), and the fact that the match is point based. It's kind of sad that making the 9-ball has little (other than getting 2 points) to do with the objective of winning the match.

Tony_in_MD
06-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I still remember a match I lost years ago to a 6. I was an 8 at the time, I would break, get hooked, my opponent would run 4-6 balls then mess up. I would finish the rack. Believe it or not this went on and on, but because we both split the racks points he made his handicap before mine and I lost the set, without losing a single game!

Learned to hate APA 9 ball that evening.

eb_in_nc
06-06-2008, 07:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony_in_MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still remember a match I lost years ago to a 6. I was an 8 at the time, I would break, get hooked, my opponent would run 4-6 balls then mess up. I would finish the rack. Believe it or not this went on and on, but because we both split the racks points he made his handicap before mine and I lost the set, without losing a single game!

</div></div>

Yep, that sucks big time and it's no fun for certain. I'm surprised so many people still play APA 9 ball.

Deeman3
06-06-2008, 07:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eb_in_nc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony_in_MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still remember a match I lost years ago to a 6. I was an 8 at the time, I would break, get hooked, my opponent would run 4-6 balls then mess up. I would finish the rack. Believe it or not this went on and on, but because we both split the racks points he made his handicap before mine and I lost the set, without losing a single game!

</div></div>

Yep, that sucks big time and it's no fun for certain. I'm surprised so many people still play APA 9 ball. </div></div>

Probabaly because that the only game out there in many areas where there is no alternative. Here, we have nothing so we just play by the real rules. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Rich R.
06-06-2008, 07:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eb_in_nc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I grew up playing 9-ball and love the game, but have no desire to play it in the APA as it seems to be more suited for the lower skill level player (no push out rule being one), and the fact that the match is point based. It's kind of sad that making the 9-ball has little (other than getting 2 points) to do with the objective of winning the match. </div></div>

APA 9-ball isn't a bad game. I was obviously developed to even the playing field between players with a wide variety of skills.

IMHO, you guys have to stop considering APA 9-ball as the same game as regular 9-ball.

The first thing you have to remember is, it is a points based game. Stop thinking about making the 9-ball. Make balls. Balls mean points. If you can't make the ball, play a safe. It is as simple as that.

When approached properly, APA 9-ball is a good game and it can be enjoyed by everyone, of all skill levels. No, you will not win every match and, in an even game, you shouldn't. It has never been regular 9-ball and it never will be. Stop bitching and play it with the correct attitude.

eb_in_nc
06-09-2008, 06:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eb_in_nc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I grew up playing 9-ball and love the game, but have no desire to play it in the APA as it seems to be more suited for the lower skill level player (no push out rule being one), and the fact that the match is point based. It's kind of sad that making the 9-ball has little (other than getting 2 points) to do with the objective of winning the match. </div></div>

APA 9-ball isn't a bad game. I was obviously developed to even the playing field between players with a wide variety of skills.

IMHO, you guys have to stop considering APA 9-ball as the same game as regular 9-ball.

The first thing you have to remember is, it is a points based game. Stop thinking about making the 9-ball. Make balls. Balls mean points. If you can't make the ball, play a safe. It is as simple as that.

When approached properly, APA 9-ball is a good game and it can be enjoyed by everyone, of all skill levels. No, you will not win every match and, in an even game, you shouldn't. It has never been regular 9-ball and it never will be. Stop bitching and play it with the correct attitude.
</div></div>

It may be enjoyable by everyone but I chose not to play it because it does not hold the allure it does when it is truly a "9-ball" game. Changing the rules of old established games may work for some people but it does not work for me. The game is called 9 ball for a reason, and to make the 9 and not win the game seems a tad odd at best.

This is not bitching, it's just telling it like it is.

Rail Rat
06-09-2008, 10:29 AM
I agree that the 9Ball point system in APA play is frustrating as it completely changes up the object of the game, but its designed so that everyone can play and have a chance.

For advanced players its best to get into A leaugues with no handi caps, you will be playing top amatuers but its pure 9ball and a lot of fun.

Otherwise if you stay in the APA its a different game and you just have to think about pocketing balls and safetys.

Jager85
06-16-2008, 10:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eb_in_nc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I grew up playing 9-ball and love the game, but have no desire to play it in the APA as it seems to be more suited for the lower skill level player (no push out rule being one), and the fact that the match is point based. It's kind of sad that making the 9-ball has little (other than getting 2 points) to do with the objective of winning the match. </div></div>

</div></div>

The concern here is not points or games, it is the push out. Any 5 or 6 can run 5-6 balls any day of the week when given an open shot. When you get hooked off of the break, no skill whatsoever came from the opponent yet he may have a good opportunity to run 5 or 6 balls. If this happens every rack, then he can easily beat a higher skill level with the handicap difference.

I know someone will make a comment about the higher skill level should adjust his break, yada yada yada, but there was a poll done a few years ago about win % in the pros when they break and actually in the pros when they break they only won ~30% of the time.

The APA, you are right, is a different game than regular 9 ball though, and it is tweaked to give everyone a good chance at winning, and also to make the games go a bit quicker.