PDA

View Full Version : whole house fan

nAz
06-09-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm planning on setting up a pair of small electric attic
exhaust fan this week, its way too hot up there. anyways came I came across this Whole house fan (http://www.airscapefans.com/products/whf17).
I'm wondering if its worth the price... has anyone here ever used one of these set ups before?

moblsv
06-09-2008, 07:31 AM
So that's what that is for :-)

I have one of those in my house. It was there when I bought the home and I have never turned it on, other than to see that it worked when first looking at the house. It seems like mine was quite loud when I tested it.

Deeman3
06-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Of course, in the South before air conditioning, this was air conditioning!

They were great to move air, albeit hot air thorough the entire house if places properly. The old ones were very noisey but effective in bring in new air. If you positioned bed correctly and let the draft flow aross the bed, you could, at least, sleep at night. Of course, the old Hunter ceiling fans over the beds and in living rooms helped as well.

nAz
06-09-2008, 09:09 AM
the noise is what bothers me... I keep thinking i may jump out of bed in the middle of the night thinking something had blown up? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

nAz
06-09-2008, 09:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course, in the South before air conditioning, this was air conditioning!

They were great to move air, albeit hot air thorough the entire house if places properly. The old ones were very noisey but effective in bring in new air. If you positioned bed correctly and let the draft flow aross the bed, you could, at least, sleep at night. Of course, the old Hunter ceiling fans over the beds and in living rooms helped as well. </div></div>

so it's probably not worth it huh? i may just stick with the two small exhaust fan up there.
I tell you I'm not too crazy about sleeping in AC, i sometimes wake up feeling somewhat larthargic.
thought this may help with that and the cut the cost of running the AC too.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-09-2008, 10:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm wondering if its worth the price... has anyone here ever used one of these set ups before? </div></div>

I have one of those. It was there when we moved in. It works great but I don't think I would have paid $900 for it.

Mine only has one speed. It is noisy. I would never leave it on all night. Don't really need to because it moves so much air. If it is 75 outside when I get home and it's 80 inside the house it will cool the house down to 75 in about 20 minutes.

I notice the one you show has a low speed of 1000 cfm. A typical bathroom fan is about 80 cfm. At high speed of 1700 cfm it would turn over all the air in your house in 5 or 10 minutes.

You might be able to get by with the exhaust fan(s) you mentioned. Depends on your budget I guess. There are a lot of options.

Personally I can't sleep without AC

Deeman3
06-09-2008, 12:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course, in the South before air conditioning, this was air conditioning!

They were great to move air, albeit hot air thorough the entire house if places properly. The old ones were very noisey but effective in bring in new air. If you positioned bed correctly and let the draft flow aross the bed, you could, at least, sleep at night. Of course, the old Hunter ceiling fans over the beds and in living rooms helped as well. </div></div>

so it's probably not worth it huh? i may just stick with the two small exhaust fan up there.
I tell you I'm not too crazy about sleeping in AC, i sometimes wake up feeling somewhat larthargic.
thought this may help with that and the cut the cost of running the AC too.

</div></div>

The ceiling fands might help as much with much less expense. I am a pussy now, so I can't do without air conditioning. As a kid back in Arkansas, I didn't know what A/C was. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

nAz
06-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Wally after doing some more reading on the subject Im beginning to look into buying just the two... I did not consider the resulting negative pressure in the attic, which then results in even greater leakage of AC from the house into the attic through the cans, fixture holes and through the edges of vent boots. Its too hot up there for my to go and reseal and cracks and openings. I took a temperature while i was up there earlier and it was @ 152F!

Deeman3
06-09-2008, 12:19 PM
152 degrees?

Open nAz's Sauna! Their are Europeans who will pay to visit it if you dress it up a bit! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

nAz
06-09-2008, 02:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As a kid back in Arkansas, I didn't know what A/C was. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif [/b] </div></div>
my great grand ma use to say the same thing... except she was a kid in Venezuela. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I shit you not about the temp up there, maybe ill paint my shingle white and deflect so of the sun rays /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

"Open nAz's Sauna! Their are Europeans who will pay to visit it if you dress it up a bit! \:\)"

now thats an idea... im sure Q would enjoy it... shoot i may like it.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-09-2008, 02:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did not consider the resulting negative pressure in the attic, which then results in even greater leakage of AC from the house into the attic </div></div>

You need an air intake from the outside into the attic to avoid that problem. Soffit vents would be ideal but maybe that is not an option.

What about those turbine vents that are driven by the wind to exhaust some of that without raising your electric bill?

at 152 you need to try something. That's really a problem.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-09-2008, 03:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">152 degrees?

Open nAz's Sauna! Their are Europeans who will pay to visit it if you dress it up a bit! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</div></div>

Deeman, believe it or not, when I used to run, in the summer I would go to the attic for a sauna bath after an afternoon run.

Much much younger then.

Deeman3
06-09-2008, 03:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wally_in_Cincy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">152 degrees?

Open nAz's Sauna! Their are Europeans who will pay to visit it if you dress it up a bit! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif</div></div>

Deeman, believe it or not, when I used to run, in the summer I would go to the attic for a sauna bath after an afternoon run.

Much much younger then. </div></div>

The first time I stepped into a Sauna in Sweden I said, we had these in Arkansas when I was a kid! We called them living rooms!