PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with cue case

hawk
06-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Search is not working. Are we allowed to take cue cases on as carry-on? I'm guessing not, but thought I would ask.

Rich R.
06-09-2008, 07:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Search is not working. Are we allowed to take cue cases on as carry-on? I'm guessing not, but thought I would ask. </div></div>
You are correct.

Fran Crimi
06-09-2008, 07:42 PM
You can take the case as a carryon but not with a cue in it. I'm not being sarcastic. That's how I used to travel. I'd put my cues in my suitcase and carry my empty case on the plane. Never had a problem.

Fran

Deeman3
06-10-2008, 07:33 AM
I think I have finally reached a point in my life where I won't have to suffer the indignities of airline travel unless forced at gunpoint.

What a load of crap for a human to have to be subjected to.

Rail Rat
06-10-2008, 10:35 AM
I hear ya Deeman. I saw a guy have to throw out a bottle of aged single malt scotch after he tried to carry it on.

georgiekuntz
06-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Rules and how they are enforced vary widely from airport to airport. I had a pint of expensive scotch in a plastic flask and they tried to pull it. I insisted on a supervisor, they took it back and tested it and I went on board with it. But it was a 15 minute delay. I had arrive early so I could wait them out.

Carry your scotch in the little airline bottles. If you have 3 or 4 of them, they will let them go through. I don't think they want to allow any liquids on now. If you have to dump them, no great loss. Living on either the west, or East coast makes us use plane more than those in the midwest who can drive to more places. What happened to airline travel. How did it get to this sorry state of affairs.

Now that they are charging for luggage, I put my cue in a large suitcase, hardshell, pack clothes around it and send it to my hotel fedex with a signature required to prove they got it. It is usually cheaper than paying them $80 for an extra piece and one over 50lbs. Just send it off with a 3 or 4 day delivery and the price then becomes affordable. Tell the front desk it is coming and mark your name all over it. I go from La to Vegas a lot and I have never had a problem doing this.

Rail Rat
06-10-2008, 11:57 AM
I know a player who is so afraid of losing his cue, he drives down to Vegas (we're in Canada.) FedEx is deffinately the best way. Its a bit of a hassle, but much better than not getting it in time for play, or losing it all together.

Hass
06-11-2008, 11:17 AM
LOL...Fast Larry is using his "george kuntz" fake identity he used on RSB and PoolChat...hilarious Larry!

Thanks.

Rail Rat
06-11-2008, 11:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL...Fast Larry is using his "george kuntz" fake identity he used on RSB and PoolChat...hilarious Larry!

Thanks. </div></div>

Oh God... is he back?

Cornerman
06-11-2008, 12:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Search is not working. Are we allowed to take cue cases on as carry-on? I'm guessing not, but thought I would ask. </div></div> Yes, you can carry your case on board. You can't carry your cues on board, however. And, you can't carry anything on board that might be considered a tool. So, plan accordingly.

IMO, you should just check the case in as luggage in the various methods discussed.

Fred

Deeman3
06-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Fred,

I know a pool cue would make a somewhat wicked weapon on a commercial airliner but I always wondered if you should screw it together before swinging it at the waitress or captain? That, a pair of explosive shoes and a couple or ounces of liquid shampoo and we could hijack a 737 to Vegas.

A couple of years ago I had to throw away my tip tapper before boarding, my friggin' tip tapper! I figured about 280 sharp raps across the forehead of a flight attendant would probably raise a nice whelp. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

A guy can't afford to be mobile and an equipment whore anymore.

Joeyjay
06-11-2008, 04:02 PM
I know this is humor, but you want to be careful saying any thing now over the phone, or on the net, that they can pick up key words and key in on you, which you did. They have cpus and crawlers searching for these key words. Tell a joke like that at the airport and they will cuff and stuff ya. These guys are so gung Ho, so ruthless, they are just sitting there wanting you to make their day so they can send in their storm troppers and ruin your life my friend. It is best, to now, say nothing, in public. When I go through the airport now I do not say anything other than yes or no. I am like a jar head, yes sir, no sir.

The largest thing you get out of me, Is I don't know. And a big smile. Yeah, they took my nail file too. It's all badly over the top, but what are you going to do.

Just friendly advice, please take it that way, please.

Deeman3
06-11-2008, 04:18 PM
I would not be so foolish as to utter anything in a line at the airport but if they mst come and get me over a chuckle on the internet, I'll go with them all the way to the mat, so to speak.

You asked what are you going to do? Just get to the point in your life where you can send others in your stead on any trips that are not necessary to save the world. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I'll give them a couple of "key words" right here, right now just so they understand my position on the whole airline security thing. THEY ARE ALL A BUNCH OF BLITHERING IDIOTS WHO COULD NOT FIND A BADLY WOUNDED ELEPHANT IN SIX FEET OF FRESH SNOW MUCH LESS A TERRORIST BOARDING AN AIRCRAFT!

Think they will come after me now? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Joeyjay
06-11-2008, 04:46 PM
I love you guys in bama. You are truly the last great americans, who love america and will stand up to defend her. I must say I agree with all of your final comments, which may be final. Yes, the low end idiots they hire, could not find their Willie in their pants with a spot light.

But, I just saw two blackhawks take off out of Dobbins heading West and I would say you are toast. If you find a cattle probe up one of you cavities tonight, do me a favor, you never heard of me, and if they ask me, I will day, deeman who. Put enough voltage on that probe and you can get that good ole boy to deal cards in Vegas, or do a good dog act. He could put Roy and Seigfried to shame.

Deeman3
06-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Two Blackhawks down, a few more to go.

After my colon exam last week, and my subsequent call to the Rape Crisis Center, their cattle prods are simply inadeguate to get me to deal, cards or anything. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Paul_Mon
06-13-2008, 09:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cornerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Search is not working. Are we allowed to take cue cases on as carry-on? I'm guessing not, but thought I would ask. </div></div> Yes, you can carry your case on board. You can't carry your cues on board, however. And, you can't carry anything on board that might be considered a tool. So, plan accordingly.

IMO, you should just check the case in as luggage in the various methods discussed.

Fred </div></div>

Fred,

I've been traveling quite a bit lately and what surprises me is the number of fishing poles carried on planes. Last week I saw a guy with 3 broken down poles wrapped in a rubber band, large surf casting ones. They are at least 12mm in diameter and longer than half a pool cue. You notice anything similar?

FWIW, I put my entire cue case into the largest suitcase I own. I carry my fish poles, also large surf casting rods in a hard golf club case.

Paul

DickLeonard
06-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Georgie Why would you contaminate expensive Scotch by eating away the plastic bottle. Might as well pour it down the sink.####

mike60
06-14-2008, 02:18 AM
The TSA will steal anything from checked luggage. I've lost two very nice pocket knives and a pair of expensive shoes. I heard of more than one pool cue going missing from locked checked luggage. I put my case into a shipping tube and
Express Mail it overnight. Usually $40 or so and never a problem. I travel alot and the US Mail has always come through.

jht1953
08-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Not pool related but funny none the less. I play tournament chess, shortly after 9/11 I flew from West Palm Beach to Tampa for a weekend tournament (20 minute flight VS 4 hours drive time)I had all carry on, Including my chess set, roll-up board and clock. Well, the pieces are lead weighted, and the clock (2 clocks together to time each player)is also made of metal....anyway, when it went under the x-ray machine the image on the monitor looked highly suspicious, the agent asked "What's that?" when I told him they pulled me and my chess stuff into a side office to open it, much to their relief they saw I wasn't kidding and they had a good laugh.