PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting to table lights

nAz
06-09-2008, 10:15 PM
I have been having trouble adjusting my eyes to the lighting @ the table when it's my turn to shoot. seems that the room i have been playing lately keeps the lights turned down (Dimmer) around the room but the table lights are nice and bright.

I use to enjoy playing in these conditions. sitting in the dark when my inning ended i am able to focus on and study my opponent shooting patterns a lot better then i do in a bright room.

I never had a problem getting my eyes adjusted to the table. but now im having a devil of a time with it, especially when im sighting my shot.
anyone else having this issue or am i just getting old?

1Time
06-10-2008, 01:47 AM
Try wearing a baseball style cap or visor when shooting.

JoeW
06-10-2008, 06:11 AM
I can no longer sit in a dark room and watch TV. There needs to be some sort of dim light on. I think it is age (I am 65 this year). If the room is darkened I get a headache after about two hours.

I got the glare correcting billiard glasses for playing pool and they seem to help.

I also wear a baseball cap when I am playing and it too helps.

My room is darkened during play but I have a few lights on outside the pool table area that are on a dimmer switch and this seems to help.

In another area I removed a few bulbs from an overhead light this allowed for some light over the bar that does not interfere with the pool table.

Perhaps one or more of those solutions will help. When used in combination as described here I can play for 6 - 8 hours with no problems.

I should also mentionthat the players' chairs are bar stools at the bar under a dim light. I never really thought about it but sitting under these dim lights at the bar may be more helpful than I realized. My bar is actually a back bar: It is against the wall and there is no room for a bartender the player sits where the bartneder would be in a commercial establishment. The back bar has mirror tiles on the wall as seen in many establishments and this reflects some light back on the players.
It is darker than the pool area and you could not read a book but it is lighted well enough that you can see your shoe laces.

Brunswick recommends this new full spectrum lighting. I have eight four foot tubes over my nine foot Gold Crown III. I bought all the stuff at Home Depot for about $100.00. These lights are daylight qualaity and are very easy on the eyes. I think that they are the real reason I can play for so long now. I can send you a photo of how I set mine up if you are interested.

Rich R.
06-10-2008, 06:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have been having trouble adjusting my eyes to the lighting @ the table when it's my turn to shoot. seems that the room i have been playing lately keeps the lights turned down (Dimmer) around the room but the table lights are nice and bright.

I use to enjoy playing in these conditions. sitting in the dark when my inning ended i am able to focus on and study my opponent shooting patterns a lot better then i do in a bright room.

I never had a problem getting my eyes adjusted to the table. but now im having a devil of a time with it, especially when im sighting my shot.
anyone else having this issue or am i just getting old? </div></div>

nAz, your getting old. Accept it and embrace it. Make the necessary adjustments.
After all, getting old is better than the alternative. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

BTW, Fast Larry may have an extra visor for you. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Eric.
06-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Hey nAz,

You didnt say what the real issue is, such as; eyes being sensitive to light.

I have an anti glare coating on my glasses, maybe you should try a pair of driving shades or very light sunglasses to see if that helps? (assuming that glare is the issue)

Eric &gt;glares on occasion

BigRigTom
06-10-2008, 10:10 AM
I wear a pair of RayBans that are tinted dark at the top then the tint lessens toward the bottom plus they polarize the light which reduces glare.
http://hardingersystems.com/BAT-Forum/images/2006-08-04-George-V-Hotel-Paris-004.jpg
I discovered their impact by pure accident.
I actually bought them about a year ago for driving (This Southern California sun is murder on the eyes and the street lights at night are just as bad!)
I put the glasses on, drove over to the bar where the APA regionals were being held. I started playing on the practice table, I was playing great and after about 5 minutes I realized I still had my sun glasses on. BANG!
I now wear those RayBans when ever I play in a bar where the lights are down low but the table lights are bright.

It turns out that my eyes don't adjust quickly from dark to light and the top tinting on the glasses act to shade my eyes from the bright table lights while the polarization keep the glare to a minimum. I am totally convinced that I play better with them on.

georgiekuntz
06-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Quote: Fast Larry may have an extra visor for you.

I don't think he sells them. His come from the Masters tournament, note the little flag of the usa on the front?
He sells a lot of pool things but not hats or clothes.

You can get one at any golf course, and they are better than a ball cap, because they do not trap heat at the top of your head.
The top is open. They are coooler to wear indoors than a ball cap. They sell them for men, or for ladies. A lady would have trouble wearing a ball cap if she has a lot of hair.

Larry was not first to begin wearing or playing with a visor. You can see this being done in 1961 in the pool movie on the Twilight zone, a game of pool, where Johnathan Winters is playing with a poker shade visor to keep the glare of the lights from his eyes. His era was the 1930's. Players were doing this a century ago. Try playing with one for a week and then do with out it. You will then notice how badly the glare affects you. You won't be able then to play with out it.

Georgie

Eric.
06-10-2008, 01:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: georgiekuntz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quote: Fast Larry may have an extra visor for you.

I don't think he sells them. His come from the Masters tournament, note the little flag of the usa on the front?

Georgie </div></div>

Fast Larry probably gets his visors off of eBay, like everyone else. FL just makes up a good story to go with it.

Eric &gt;the return of Fast Liarry?

TCOB
06-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Yes you can buy golf visors off of ebay. But you can't buy Masters visors, shirts, or anything with their logo on it, which is a yellow usa with a flag in the ne corner where Augusta is. Any one selling with this logo on ebay, would be sued and put out of business.

The only way to acquire masters head gear, shirts, sweaters is to enter the grounds during masters week and buy them in the gift shops. Getting inside to do that, is very hard, as tickets to the events have not been sold since 1976 and to buy a ticket for the event runs now about $6,000. That is for the actual tournament, thur-sun.

Two things are clear, you don't have $6,000, and you have never been on the grounds, or you would know this.

Some people send off for practice round tickets, for Mon-tue-wed. It is a lottery drawing, hard to get them, but not impossible. That will get you into the gift shops to buy the masters products and see the players practice before the event unfolds. Those applications are being mailed out now.

Any way, who cares where this guy gets his visors from. Are you jealous he has one and you cant get inside to get one too? Why is that a problem. Why is it impossible to fathom, the guy has tickets to the event. There has to be a half million guys out there wearing the masters visors. They let 50,000 people in every day, so its 200,000 during the week.

eb_in_nc
06-10-2008, 02:00 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: georgiekuntz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quote: Fast Larry may have an extra visor for you.

You can get one at any golf course, and they are better than a ball cap, because they do not trap heat at the top of your head.
The top is open. They are coooler to wear indoors than a ball cap. They sell them for men, or for ladies. A lady would have trouble wearing a ball cap if she has a lot of hair.

Larry was not first to begin wearing or playing with a visor. You can see this being done in 1961 in the pool movie on the Twilight zone, a game of pool, where Johnathan Winters is playing with a poker shade visor to keep the glare of the lights from his eyes. His era was the 1930's. Players were doing this a century ago. Try playing with one for a week and then do with out it. You will then notice how badly the glare affects you. You won't be able then to play with out it.

Georgie </div></div>

I saw that one just the other night, Jonathan Winters and Jack Klugman. Not much good pool being shot to be honest, but great mind game by the great Rod Serling. I did remember seeing the visor being worn by Jon W.

Eric.
06-10-2008, 02:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCOB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes you can buy golf visors off of ebay. But you can't buy Masters visors, shirts, or anything with their logo on it, which is a yellow usa with a flag in the ne corner where Augusta is. Any one selling with this logo on ebay, would be sued and put out of business.

The only way to acquire masters head gear, shirts, sweaters is to enter the grounds during masters week and buy them in the gift shops. Getting inside to do that, is very hard, as tickets to the events have not been sold since 1976 and to buy a ticket for the event runs now about $6,000. That is for the actual tournament, thur-sun.

Two things are clear, you don't have $6,000, and you have never been on the grounds, or you would know this.

Some people send off for practice round tickets, for Mon-tue-wed. It is a lottery drawing, hard to get them, but not impossible. That will get you into the gift shops to buy the masters products and see the players practice before the event unfolds. Those applications are being mailed out now.

Any way, who cares where this guy gets his visors from. Are you jealous he has one and you cant get inside to get one too? Why is that a problem. Why is it impossible to fathom, the guy has tickets to the event. There has to be a half million guys out there wearing the masters visors. They let 50,000 people in every day, so its 200,000 during the week. </div></div>

Eric.
06-10-2008, 02:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCOB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes you can buy golf visors off of ebay. But you can't buy Masters visors, shirts, or anything with their logo on it, which is a yellow usa with a flag in the ne corner where Augusta is. Any one selling with this logo on ebay, would be sued and put out of business.

Any way, who cares where this guy gets his visors from. Are you jealous he has one and you cant get inside to get one too? Why is that a problem. Why is it impossible to fathom, the guy has tickets to the event. There has to be a half million guys out there wearing the masters visors. They let 50,000 people in every day, so its 200,000 during the week. </div></div>

http://www.mmogolf.com/

Eric &gt;or http://groups.google.com/group/larryguningerisaliar

dg-in-centralpa
06-10-2008, 06:46 PM
" try this link for Masters visors, Fast Larry.. "

My thought as well. Hmmm....

DG

cushioncrawler
06-10-2008, 08:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....I also wear a baseball cap when I am playing and it too helps.

....Brunswick recommends this new full spectrum lighting. I have eight four foot tubes over my nine foot Gold Crown III. I bought all the stuff at Home Depot for about $100.00. These lights are daylight qualaity and are very easy on the eyes. I think that they are the real reason I can play for so long now. I can send you a photo of how I set mine up if you are interested.</div></div>Joe -- I had a terrible experience while wearing a vizor playing billiardz. My game went off. After a while i realized that the vizor woz down too far, and woz a bit lopsided, and it woz blocking the view for my right-eye, and i woz missing my aiming-point on the objektball by at least 5mm. Being right-eye-dominant i hadnt noticed.

8 No 38watt fluoroz = 304watts, on a 9' table -- hell thats a lot of light -- 7.5watts per sqft. Say it iznt so Joe, say it iznt so.

Me, i uze 8 No 23watt comapact fluoroz = 184watts, on a 12' table -- 2.6watts per sqft. But mine are mirror style floodlights, so might be equivalent to say 300watts of (your) troffer style (white background). madMac.

Rich R.
06-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey guys, my comment about the visor from Fast Larry was suppose to be a joke. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif
Obviously, many of you don't know the history of Fast Larry and all of the internet pool forums and I'm not about to bring it up here.
Take my word for it, most of us wouldn't buy a visor, or anything else, from Larry even if he was the only source in the world for them. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

JoeW
06-10-2008, 09:43 PM
8 No 38watt fluoroz = 304watts, on a 9' table -- hell thats a lot of light -- 7.5watts per sqft. Say it iznt so Joe, say it iznt so.

Oh its true and I can play for hours and hours. Tonight we played for over 6 hours and I am tired but my eyes are fine. In fact I am going to go read for a while before going to bed.

The table is like playing outdoors at noon, but only the table is lighted that well. The lamps are about 36 inches off the surface. Now the Scotch and the Irish whiskey -- oh that is another story.

We do not get a lot of sunlight in NE Ohio so we make our own. Something less than 50 - 60 days a year due to the cloud cover from the Great Lakes.

TCOB
06-11-2008, 08:37 AM
I did not realize they were actually selling Masters logo clothes to the general public, thanks for informing me and I stand corrected. But why not, since most of you can't get inside the gates to buy it, why not rip you off over the internet charging you 2 to 3 times more than what I pay inside the gates. It only makes good business sense. If you see a pal wearing a visor he paid 20 for he bought there and want one, you will pay 60 over the net?
Larry does not sell visors and I would imagine he would not care what you wear or where you get it from.

You all get off topic so fast. The topic is, wear one, see how much glare it reduces and give one a try.

Eric.
06-11-2008, 09:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCOB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did not realize they were actually selling Masters logo clothes to the general public, thanks for informing me and I stand corrected. But why not, since most of you can't get inside the gates to buy it, why not rip you off over the internet charging you 2 to 3 times more than what I pay inside the gates. It only makes good business sense. If you see a pal wearing a visor he paid 20 for he bought there and want one, you will pay 60 over the net?
Larry does not sell visors and I would imagine he would not care what you wear or where you get it from.

You all get off topic so fast. The topic is, wear one, see how much glare it reduces and give one a try. </div></div>

Still pretending that you are part of some elite group, Fast Larry?

Eric &gt; http://groups.google.com/group/larryguningerisaliar

TCOB
06-11-2008, 09:37 AM
What kind of a person spends all that time and effort, to create a website, to slander and degrade a pro with made up lies?
I would think, a very sick criminal would do such a thing. To keep posting that link.

What kind of site, would allow it. A good one, would erase that link, and ban that sicko, which is you. Slander and criminal behavior like this, should never be allowed on any site, for any reason.

People who hold masters badges are not an elite group. They are just lucky people. Most live within a 200 mile radius of Augusta, most are in Atlanta, augusta, or SC. They bought badges back in the early 70's before the access to them was cut off to the general public. Most are white, middle aged corporate guys who belong to country clubs. They now pay $175 for a 4 day badge, that would cost you 3 to 4K to get from a ticket broker.

Since you do not think Larry has such badges, then why don't you just bet him $3,000 he can not supply a 2008 badge from april 10th to the 13th event. If you are not prepared to do that, then you should shut up please. The badge has Hogans bridge, rays creek and the 12th green on it. Only a holder of the badge, would know that. The ID number begin with R and are 5 digits.

Why do you care. Did you just get out of a mental hospital or have something dropped on your head?

Hass
06-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Do NOT make a bet with Fast Larry...he welches every time. He still owes about 6 people $10k when he lied about filming a prime-tie network show last year. Also, he owes me another $1k for betting I was some guy named Eric. I opened up a Paypal escrow account, put my $1k in, but he wouldn't put up his cash. Pathetic really for a guy who claims to have illions and millions of dollars. Oh well.

Joeyjay
06-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Hass is a new account just created by Eric T Hu, he has used this for years on RSB, to attack Larry with it. Check the IP's, both will go back to Edison, NJ. Is this not a violation of board policy, to be using alias's, to attack people you do not like? If Larry has welched on a bet, how about you submit proof, any body can post made up lies.

Hass
06-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Larry, you know I'm not Eric...you know my IP won't "trace" to Edison NJ. I set up the escrow, put my $1k in and you didn't...no problem.

Joeyjay
06-13-2008, 08:43 AM
About the dumbest most stupid thing one could do, would be to even try and make a bet, with some jerk hiding behind his cpu, using some fake name. So I have a simple policy, no bets with Jerks, strangers, on the net, or with drunks in bars. Come up to me in public, where I can see who you are and offer the proper bet, I may be interested in, put the money on the rail, and we can get down. I only make bets, when the cash is in a 3rd parties hand.

Your attempts to gamble money on this site, should be against the forum rules dear sir. Some forums would kick you off for such low rent behavior deeming you as a undesirable.

You did not create this new account for the good purpose of coming in here to talk pool. It was created for evil unjust purposes, to attack and slander a pro, which you have been doing now for 5 full years. You chase that pro, from board to board, setting him up, trashing his efforts to teach attacking him in numberous false names. You call his phone 20 times a day to harrass him, showing what a sick stalker you are. This has been going on for years as well. You are not well,not normal to do these things, you are,a psycho. You have even attacked him physically in public, the last one you mugged and sucker punched him from behind which got you arrested and convicted as a criminal. Normal people, do not do such things. Criminals do.

You have stolen his identity, his name, his picture, his logo, his email, and made over 1,000 posts on every board, but mostly on rsb, framing him. You make posts using his name, he never made. You make an entire web site of nothing but frames and made up lies. You even posted a link on here, to direct people off this site into your site of filth and slanders. That should have gotten you banned.

This is called slander, libel, criminal behavior. No board should allow, or put up with you doing this. Only RSB does, because they have no Moderator.

Your new account would be easily traced to Edison, NJ, and your true identity revealed. Having extra accounts, used only to attack people, gets you kicked off most boards I know of. You have one like that, and I think you should be removed. I will guar rone tee U, that is IP, will trace to Vancouver, or Edison.
As the two of you have been tag teaming these attacks for years as well.

Eric.
06-13-2008, 08:55 AM
http://groups.google.com/group/larryguningerisaliar

Joeyjay
06-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Posting a link, to redirect people, off here, to a web site you set up, with all lies, slanders, libels, and untrue frames, shows what kind of person you really are. What normal person, would do such a thing, unless they were sick, very sick, or a psycho?

This is nothing but slander against a pro. This is criminal behavior, and this board should have rules against this, and act on you. Most boards would ban you for this.

How does this help pool? How does this help the board. All this does, is help your sick vendetta.