PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a pool table in my home

poolturtle
06-11-2008, 09:59 AM
I have an 8ft table in storage right now. A friend recently bought a 7ft table, and, of course, I got bit by the pool bug again and decided to try and put my table in my apartment. I've misplace my tape measure, so i don't know the exact dimensions of the living room, but I know it will fit. The problem is making it fit without ditching every other piece of furniture in the room. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My question is whether there is any feasible and practicle way to put the table on rollers or sliders or something so I can push it against the wall if I have company over or whatever. The room is carpeted with fairly thick carpet.

Rail Rat
06-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Is the table a slate table? It will be quite heavy.

How big is the room where it goes, You need at least a 6' clearance around each side.

How will you balance it, does it have adjustable legs?

On a positive note you could cover it and use it as a dining room table when not in use.

Deeman3
06-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Poolturtle,

Great to see you posting again!

poolturtle
06-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Yes, it's a slate table. inch thick in 3 pieces. and yes, it's heavy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I'm not sure about the legs being adjustable to be honest. It's been in storage for about 6 yrs. When I originally had it set up, it was in a shop behind the house and was level. I can't remember if we did it ourselves or it just happened that way. As far as the clearance, I'm not sure about the exact dimensions of the room. That's tonight's project. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif The room is longer from front to back than wide, and with the direction I'm planning on putting it, there shouldn't be any problem with the shooting room length-wise. The width is the possible problem. I know I can have one side with enough room, but I'm not sure if I can get both sides set right without losing the entire room to it.

Joeyjay
06-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Yes you could convert the table, at high expense, I have seen this down twice, where it can be jacked up and rolled to another place on 4 wheels and then let back down. Bad idea, you will be cracking the filling between the slates and the table will never be level. Forget that one.

Just buy the table pads which fill up the middle, put a quality cover over it, buy chairs and turn it into a dinning room table when not in use. This is what I did and it worked out great.

JoeW
06-11-2008, 03:56 PM
There are some table jacks available for seven foot tables that are used to move tables in and out of the Moose Lodege for competitions. I will check tonight with some friends to see what I can learn.

Rail Rat
06-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Well deciding between a living/dining room and a pool room is a no brainer for me, but a significant other may have a different view. :>)

Sounds like Joeyjay has the best answer.

You could get by with 5' clearance but that leaves very little room for your backstroke with the QB ball on the rail. I would say 5' 6 " is your minumum.

Joeyjay
06-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Trying to sell any woman to allow a pool table in her living room, has odds about 10,000 to 1. If you sell that one, you are a God. We shall all bow down to worship you. A statue should be erected of you.

To sell this, go into the Ohio table pad web site, show her how wonderful it will look. Thick pads fill up the middle of the table. A fabricon cover goes over all of it. You find stadium bar chairs at Costco or Sams and you are set.

Sell her, its not a pool table, but a dining room table. She can take the dining room cloth off, and iron clothes on the pool table cloth under it, sort her clothes out of the wash, lay out literature, do ebay shipments, there is a zillion things one can do on one big flat surface. Do not hang a bud light bar box fixture over it, put lights on the ceiling, like in an office and it will all look great. Go to Home Depot, $100, two 4' 4 light fixtures, hang them sideways, with difussion covers. She will be happy, and so will you.

And do not allow here to pick the color of the cloth to match the room. Never allow a woman to do that, or you will end up with red, black, orange, something you will live to hate.

You want, pool hall green, electric blue, camel, one of those 3.
Simonis 860 0nly, do not skimp on that one. Let her go out and buy and pick the color of the table cloth that hides the pool table. Send her to Target. Her friends can come by and never know one is there.

KellyStick
06-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Oh yess! JoeyJay has to bow down to me! In fact I think he implied the "You all" had to do that if I recall correctly... I am now elevated to god status (lower case g of course). Before my wife also got the pool bug I talked her into putting the table smack dab in the middle of the living room. Of course shortly after that we ended up buying a new house with a different kind of pool in the back yard. But that is irrelevant . Bow before me and remove all powder blocks from pool rooms as this is my first decree.

Bambu
06-24-2008, 07:29 AM
I had the same problem at my upstate home, no room for a table. I hunted craigs list for a few months, and found a nice 6 footer for a mere 200 bucks. Plenty of room, and the woman thinks its "cute." Use real balls and cloth, and it beats bar pool.