PDA

View Full Version : Tim Russert Dead!

Deeman3
06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
What a terrible thing. He was a great communicator and story teller. At only 58.

I really enjoyed his pleasant presonality and the ease at which he could conduct an interview. This is a big loss for journalism in America.

Wally_in_Cincy
06-13-2008, 02:24 PM
One of the few who was not afraid to ask the tough question. But he was calways civil at the same time.

Bobbyrx
06-13-2008, 02:41 PM
...a BIG loss....

Deeman3
06-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Even with the heavy left lean of the press, there are just some guys you trust. I trusted him and loved hearing about Big Russ!

Meet the Press will be hard pressed to get a fairminded replacement. They may not even want one anymore.

pooltchr
06-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I agree. I think he was one of a very few who would take one both sides with the same vigor. He will be greatly missed.
Steve

nAz
06-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Ya i enjoyed watching his Sunday show... so what did he die of?

pooltchr
06-14-2008, 04:35 AM
He had a heart attack in his office.
Steve

mike60
06-15-2008, 07:12 PM
This was posted in a Philadelphia, Pa newspaper: Posted by Wayne 12:07 PM, 06/15/2008
I will be tactful at this sad moment and not recite chapter and verse all of the ways Russert, in as obsequious a manner as possible, dutifully communicated the narratives fed to him by his corporate handlers to reinforce the messages that Democrats are hopelessly divided and ultimately incompetent, the Republicans are all knowing and eternally correct, and liberal bloggers are indecent, foul-mouthed louts who are perpetually wrong. Instead, I will only wonder why it took the untimely passing of someone in your inner circle to suddenly feel a shred of sympathy for a child no longer without a parent or a father who has lost a son. There are abundant examples to be found in the casualty list of Dubya's Iraq war, and none of these people ever earned a $5 million salary or owned a $7 million home on Nantucket Island.
Russert once stated that all information is off the record to keep his access to the powerful he needed to suck up to...

Deeman3
06-16-2008, 07:32 AM
mike60,

You are an idiot. Tim Russert was the most prepared journalist of our time. He was respected by both Democrats and Republicas and was tough on both sides. I never saw him bitter nor did he give anyone a pass in his interviews.

When people pass away unexpectely they are on most occasions given credit they may or may not deserve. I feel the man, this time, was truely being supported by all edges of the political spectrum because he earned it though hard work and being true to his values, something that we have far too little of today.

I hope he has room for one more friend.

Deeman3
06-16-2008, 12:12 PM
I apologise for calling someone on here an idiot. However, it is not the purported right leanings on here that the left does not like. Russert was a Democrat.

What the left is not comfortable with is that he was a man who had faith in God and valued family. The preferred newsman is one who has no regard for faith and prefers family as defined by the left, anything goes, no critique of lifestyle nor of poor judgements nor of honest assessment of political debate.

Don't worry, we are getting more and more of themn each year and men like Russert will soon be completely eliminated from the process.

mike60
06-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Deeman, I respect your opinion although i do not agree. Tim was involved in the run
up to the present war by repeating lies and by not telling the truth. Tim had the chance to save a lot of lives and he failed. He was not ignorant of the facts but allowed the liars to set the rules. Tim considered all information "off the record",
that is subject to approval by the teller. That is not being a newsperson. That is being a stenographer. A nice smile does not always mean a nice guy. The news isn't
republican or democratic its the facts. His values were lacking when they interfered
with the truth. Access to politicians has ruined the morals of more than just Tim.
Judith Miller when at the New York Times comes to mind. He was an adequate
interviewer but never went near the lies about the war until years after the fact.
There are several honest sites on the internet that record all the news and when
it was reported and by whom. A little research will show you how Tim fits into
the real world of news. He was less than up front about too many things too many
times. He was too young to die and i grieve for his family.

nAz
06-16-2008, 06:26 PM
hey Mike60... you know he was not alone in that, i say 90% of the media went along with it.

sack316
06-16-2008, 08:05 PM
I say people that think news is about facts, don't know much about the history of what news and media is... be it in this country or worldwide.

Sack

Gayle in MD
06-19-2008, 10:30 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What the left is not comfortable with is that he was a man who had faith in God and valued family. <span style="color: #000066">FYI, the "Left" is chock full of religious people, Deeman. I, for one, admire faith, just not Evangelical madness, and not fundamentlist insanity. There is a difference. Trying to frame all liberals, or all democratics, as faithless, and without family values, is surely unfair, IMO. </span> The preferred newsman is one who has no regard for faith and prefers family as defined by the left, anything goes, no critique of lifestyle nor of poor judgements nor of honest assessment of political debate.

<span style="color: #000066">While you and your friend, Poolteacher are constantly yapping about the left, accusing anyone who is against the many illegal activiies of this administration of hatred, I'd say that your posts demonstrate plenty of hatred, for Democratics, for liberals, for the Clintons and for anyone who posts anything that goes against your own belief system.

I think Tim Russart was a wonderful man, however, there has been only one journalist who stood up against the lies that this administration told to this country, and that was Helen Thomas, the First Lady Of The White House Press Corps, who was moved out of her forty year front row seat by the Bush Administration, and insulted, over and over again, by Dana Perino.

You have a lot of nerve accusing people of hatred, and then writing statements about Democratics and Liberals that suggest that they have no value in faith and family values. If there is any hatred around, I'd say that both you and Steve, Ed, and a few others here, have the corner on it.

Gayle in Md.
</span>

</div></div>

eg8r
06-19-2008, 01:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If there is any hatred around, I'd say that both you and Steve, Ed, and a few others here, have the corner on it.</div></div>It has always been impossible for you to see reality with those blinders on.

eg8r

mike60
06-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Hatred is an ugly word. It seems that the differences of opinion here bring out the true nature in a few of us. I don't hate right wing gas bags, i pity them.

mike60 Republican&open minded

Deeman3
06-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Gayle,

They only moved Helen Thomas from the front row because she kept tipping over into the floor. The persons in front of her now prevent that. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Years ago, I do think Helen was a good reporter.

mike60
06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Helen Thomas is back in the front row. Noone would sit in her seat out of respect for her seniority.

mike60 paying attention

Deeman3
06-19-2008, 02:27 PM
I know. I was just ribbing Gayle. She knows I think Helen is a good reporter.

mike60
06-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Good one.

mike60

Gayle in MD
06-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Helen Thomas is a national treasure. She is now writing for Hearst, opinion articles. She loves it, and says she gets up every morening and asks herself, "Let's see now, who am I mad at today!"

Helen was the only reporter who tried to force George Bush to answer a simple question...

after reiterating facts, she asked, "So why did you go to war?"

No reasonable answer followed, of course.

Speaking of Tim Russart, I think we should all remember that few people felt free to openly state their resistance to the administration's case for Iraq. It was a case of the administration exploiting the patriotic cohesion which emerged on the national front, as we grieved together as a nation for our losses on 9/11. At that time, Republicans painted any descent from Bush's policies as unpatriotic. While Russart did not back BUsh up immediately, we should recall, that it took some time before certain CIA, Pantagon, and Military people began to speak out, resigning in protest, and writing books, and offering interviews, but Russart did, on many occasions, after we began to understand that we had all been lied to, back CHeney, Rice, Rumsfeld, and others, into a corner, pressing them for answeres.

Helen, was the only reporter who did so from the start. Helen has been around a long time. Helen isn't a newcomer, as Russart is in comparison. helen can spot a liar a mile away, but then, she has been covering presidents since before Kennedy! She saw right through this administration. She is a national treasure, as was Russart.

BTW, did you know that they were playing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" as the congregation filed out of the church the day of Russart's funeral, and a double rainbow appeared over Washington D.C. right at that moment?

It was really something! Gave me chills! russart was a wonderful man, and one has only to observe his son, to fully appreciate that.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
06-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Mike,
Fox news is sitting in her seat during the Presidential Press conferences.

Gayle in Md.