PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Ball Rules for Grownups

av84fun
06-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Just kidding about the grownups but as you will see, this is a more difficult way to play against the 8 Ball Ghost or less.

First my issue with Ghost Ball...as I have posted here before, is that it is all offensive and therefore is a poor way to rate one's self since the break, safeties, push outs and kicks are completely ignored.

That's why I created another version...Ghost Plus that allows safety play where if you get a hook, you get BIH again and continue.

But back to the new rules.

Most people (all?) play the 8 Ball Ghost and less by starting with a rack containing the Ghost # of balls...i.e. 8 balls if you are playing the 8 Ball Ghost.

That is a terrible idea for several reasons including that you don't get a realistic break result.

In addition, I think the game should simulate what spot you need to play against better players and in actual games, if you are getting the 8 ball as weight, you have to start with 9 balls and RUN OUT to the 8 in order to win.

So here are the rules to Ghost Plus+.

1. Rack and break 9 balls. Place the Ghost Ball # behind the 1 ball as you would any weight ball. Making the weight ball or the 9 ball on the break is a WIN just as in a real game.
2. A scratch on the break is a LOSS...just as in a real game.
3. Start with BIH after the break and attempt to run out to the Ghost #...whatever it might be.
4. ONCE per rack you have a safety option in which you play a safety and if you get a hook (no distance safeties allowed)you get BIH again and continue the run. If ANY part of the OB is available to a straight shot (curve shot possibilities do NOT nullify the safety) you lose the rack so only opt for a safety over a bank/kick etc. if you are sure you can get a hook.

The rack is won if you pocket your weight ball legally at ANY time during the rack so caroms/combos etc. come into play.

Playing by the above rules will give you a MUCH better idea about what spot you need to beat better players than the standard rules plus you will hone your skills at looking for safety opportunities and shooting them...plus you get normal break practice...plus you have combo/carom opportunities to make your weight ball early.

All in all, there are a lot of plusses to Ghost Ball Plus+

Enjoy.
Jim

JJFSTAR
06-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Jim I am a completely confused because I don’t know what "regular ghost 8 ball" is; most of the time the term “ghost ball” is used as a reference to an aiming method. I will tell you this though I am against any game where a scratch on the break is in and of itself a loss of game. That rule is usually played by people who know nothing about the game, but I would bet that it’s in the rules at some tournament somewhere.

av84fun
06-14-2008, 01:32 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim I am a completely confused because I don’t know what "regular ghost 8 ball" is; most of the time the term “ghost ball” is used as a reference to an aiming method. I will tell you this though I am against any game where a scratch on the break is in and of itself a loss of game. That rule is usually played by people who know nothing about the game, but I would bet that it’s in the rules at some tournament somewhere. </div></div>

I am surprised that you have never heard of the game of Ghost Ball since it is so widely known and commented about.

But it is a practice game and one that seeks to rank a player's skill although, as I posted, I don't think it does a very good job of doing so.

In Ghost Ball, the player breaks and then takes BIH and attempts to run out. Since the "Ghost" opponent never misses, any time the shooter misses = loss of game. That is why scractching on the break should = loss of game.

In calibrating a player's skill, if they can't beat the "9 Ball Ghost" then they attempt to beat the 8 Ball Ghost and so on.

But when player the smaller number Ghosts, the shooter typically breaks only the Ghost # of balls i.e. 8 or 7 or 6 or whatever.

Having so few balls on the table from the beginning makes such an approached entirely different than getting those balls as weight in a regular 9 Ball match.

That is why I modified the rules to make playing the Ghost more like regular 9 Ball.

Regards,
Jim

Koenig
06-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Including safeties (and the break) should be great practice pre-tournament. Will try next season. Maybe 10-ball then. Or playing 5 ahead 9-ball or something.

Thanks.

av84fun
06-14-2008, 05:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Koenig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Including safeties (and the break) should be great practice pre-tournament. Will try next season. Maybe 10-ball then. Or playing 5 ahead 9-ball or something.

Thanks. </div></div>

You're welcome. Enjoy.

Regards,
Jim