PDA

View Full Version : how do you give a rail?

sack316
06-14-2008, 06:17 PM
New one to me I heard offered to someone as a spot the other day. I heard a guy offer someone else the back rail... meaning if at any point during the game he made a legal hit which made th 9-ball contact the back rail, he won.

Sounded interesting and different to me, but I am curious how you play when giving that spot to someone. The guy didn't take it, and I wanna know what type of strategy you use giving a spot such as that. Other than simply not allow your opponent to the table /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

av84fun
06-14-2008, 06:31 PM
That is a spot given by a top player to sucker a banger in an ahead set (usually) with a winner breaks format.

The hustle is that the banger is going to break dry or scratch often enough that he will never make, say, a six pack.

On the other hand, the top player is a constant threat to run packs with the banger sitting in his chair so the weight is worthless.

I have never seen the 9 ball to the back rail given as weight but have often seen top players give a banger "any legally pockected shot" other than the break.

I would say that an APA 3-4 would have no chance against a top roadie in an 8 ahead/winner breaks format. There would be just too many times where the banger breaks dry or has to push. He just isn't going to put an 8 pack on and the roadie will get back even and recycle the score.

Regards,
Jim

Rail Rat
06-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Another spot I used to see was the top player could only make one ball per turn at the table. Thats really not that tough of a spot because all he has to do is pocket then leave it tough. When its finally down to the nine the top player usually has the advantage.

For the the rail spot, the mark should never get to the 9 to try it, and of course he would'nt get that chance in a normal game anyway.

Jager85
06-16-2008, 10:13 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rail Rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another spot I used to see was the top player could only make one ball per turn at the table. Thats really not that tough of a spot because all he has to do is pocket then leave it tough. When its finally down to the nine the top player usually has the advantage.

For the the rail spot, the mark should never get to the 9 to try it, and of course he would'nt get that chance in a normal game anyway. </div></div>

The rail spot means anytime during the game not only when he is on the 9 ball, meaning he can hit the 1 ball into the 9 ball into the rail and win. Almost any decent blast of the object ball into the 9 can accomplish this.

Rail Rat
06-16-2008, 10:29 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jager85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rail spot means anytime during the game not only when he is on the 9 ball, meaning he can hit the 1 ball into the 9 ball into the rail and win. Almost any decent blast of the object ball into the 9 can accomplish this. </div></div>

Not that easy for the handi capped player as the better player will never give him an angle to the 9. Remember the better player will have control of the game.

There is the luck factor but odds are with the roadie.

allenHopkins_jr
06-27-2008, 06:08 PM
I heard an even better version of 1 rail, my dad has spotted players "any rail" (back when he was younger and on the road)... he just figured he would break and run out more often than the other player would be able to hit their object ball into a rail... He has also played one pocket spotting the other guy both pockets. This may be more common, but I've never seen it myself...