PDA

View Full Version : Most optimistic article

Bobbyrx
06-17-2008, 03:25 PM
that I've seen from the AP. AP article from B'ham News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080616/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_turning_point)
and this guy is the Associated Press bureau chief in Baghdad

mike60
06-17-2008, 04:25 PM
This caught my eye: Despite the signs of progress, recent opinion surveys show that more than 60 percent of the American public opposes the war and believes it will end badly. Democrats lashed out at presumptive Republican presidential nominee John McCain for saying it was "not too important" when American troops leave Iraq.
There is rumbling in the Republican camp that McCain won't be the candidate in Nov. There may be a new candidate selected at the RNC because McCain is not trusted to end the war and wants to continue Bush policies.
The push by the Bush apparatus to build 59 bases in Iraq is being refused by the
Iraqi people as too much too long and too colonial.
As for optimism the numbers of dead on all sides is still too high for any meaningful chance of peace breaking out.

LWW
06-17-2008, 05:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This caught my eye: Despite the signs of progress, recent opinion surveys show that more than 60 percent of the American public opposes the war and believes it will end badly.</div></div>
Are you suggesting the nation be ran by polls?

The fact that the number is only 60% after a 5 year full court press by the MSM speaks quite well for the underlying support of the effort ... especially by those who seek out the truth in the news instead of having an agenda spoon fed to them.

LWW

mike60
06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
"Underlying support"? For the war. The MSM you speak of help start this mess.
Ask any troop what they think. This phony war is costing the country money into the distant future. 5 years of bullshit from old men who can't go to fight. There are too
many dead and ruined troops. You like the war then go fight it old man.

sack316
06-18-2008, 01:56 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Democrats lashed out at presumptive Republican presidential nominee John McCain for saying it was "not too important" when American troops leave Iraq.

</div></div>

Taken out of context and misconstruing what he actually meant. To believe any candidate could give an actual timetable of when our troops will come home, such as "X number of months after I'm elected"... is absurd. The man is saying that he doesn't know exactly when, he's gotta get information from... oh I don't know maybe some commanding officers that are actually there before he can give any specific time, but what is most important now is that casualties go down and when the troops come home that they can do so with honor. Sure he said it in a pretty easy way to twist all up, obviously. But come on, anyone who believes McCain really doesn't give a crap when our troops come home is as stupid as those of us on the right who believe all the exaggerated trash thrown around about Obama.

Sack

mike60
06-18-2008, 03:55 AM
Sack, Any time the troops come will be with honor. They've earned it and it will never be too soon. McCain has repeated again and again that 100 years in Iraq
is ok with him. It will just be another Germany or Korea, as if. The reality on the
ground is that the civil war is on forever or until a lot more mortality. Right now there is an on going mess with Bush wanting a pass for the Blackwater thugs forever
and 59 military bases and the Iraqis saying no way. McCain is ok with this crap.
McCain has switched positions on this recently and who knows what he will say next.
I believe personally that McCain wants the troops home yesterday. But the idiot
war mongering right wing want a warrior to watch on TV. Good Luck Suckers.

mike60 veteran&old

sack316
06-18-2008, 06:59 AM
I actually agree with you for the most part there Mike... I do believe they should come home with honor regardless just for serving. And trust me... I really personally wish we weren't in Korea still (for selfish reasons). But that gal I got over there sure is proud of what she's doing... for the life of me I don't think I'll ever know what it is exactly, but she's proud of it. As are a number of my friends who volunteered to go to Iraq not once, but twice, believing they are doing something wonderful... and they are determined to get "the job" done (again, whatever that may actually be). And I think I'm safe in saying, that the people such as that that I know--- well they'd likely still feel honorable but it would be with a side of disappointment.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but I really feel if we pull out anytime soon we'd just be right back there before we know it.

Sack

Bobbyrx
06-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Yeah, you sound like a life long Republican.........So, tell us please, since you've got this thing about McCain, are you supporting Obama?

Deeman3
06-18-2008, 08:39 AM
He is about as lifelong republican as Gayle. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif One of us might call him a sheep in wolf's clothing.

but not me....if he starts talking about running up San Juan Hill, let me know. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Bobbyrx
06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
BWT, I finally found that word you used earlier in the dictionary:

Gayleboating (verb) "a political jargon that is used as a strong pejorative kind of attack (an ad hominem attack or a smear campaign) against anything or anyone Republican usually consisting of more words that anyone has time to read, saying the same thing over and over with a few Bwa Ha Ha's added in"

Deeman3
06-18-2008, 12:25 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

mike60
06-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Gentlemen, and i use the term loosely. The Republican Party began with the most noble of ideas. President Abe Lincoln freed the slaves and restored the Union.
Any modern manifestation of the GOP has to be judged by whether or not Abe would agree with the actions of the GOP. I feel he would damn the present GOP for what it has become. A party of obstructionist twits that aren't half of what Abe had in mind when he started it. There are plenty of honorable people in the GOP and we will prevail in taking back the leadership and restoring Abes ideals. So i do sound like a life long Republican. Who i vote for is none of your business. You may believe i am a wolf in sheeps clothing. I don't care what you believe as long as you're honest.
I once walked up San Juan Hill to place a wreath for a friend. It was a sad duty.
So all you tough guys can take a long walk on a short pier for all i care.
Try starting a new political party and see how many join. As if.
mike60 vet&voting

Bobbyrx
06-19-2008, 01:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemen, and i use the term loosely. The Republican Party began with the most noble of ideas. President Abe Lincoln freed the slaves and restored the Union. <span style="color: #FF0000">Really???!!!??? </span>
Any modern manifestation of the GOP has to be judged by whether or not Abe would agree with the actions of the GOP. <span style="color: #FF0000">uh, no it doesn't. Neither party is even close to the same as they were 30 years ago much less 150 years ago </span> I feel he would damn the present GOP for what it has become. A party of obstructionist twits that aren't half of what Abe had in mind when he started it. <span style="color: #FF0000">Since he didn't start it, he wasn't even their first candidate for president </span> There are plenty of honorable people in the GOP and we will prevail in taking back the leadership and restoring Abes ideals. So i do sound like a life long Republican. <span style="color: #FF0000">about as much as Gayle does </span> Who i vote for is none of your business. You may believe i am a wolf in sheeps clothing. I don't care what you believe as long as you're honest. <span style="color: #FF0000">I honestly believe you haven't voted for a Republican since Lincoln </span>
I once walked up San Juan Hill to place a wreath for a friend. It was a sad duty.
So all you tough guys can take a long walk on a short pier for all i care.
Try starting a new political party and see how many join. As if.
mike60 vet&voting </div></div>

mike60
06-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Bobbyrx, Start with a history textbook. Really. The GOP certainly is different than before and not for the better. GOP founded in1854, first GOP President was Abe.
They may well have had another candidate before Abe, who was he? I wish i could have voted for Abe but then we wouldn't be having this little talk. I did vote for Nixon the first time and i don't regret it. His later problems stained what should have been an honorable service. Bygones are gone. I like Gayle, she's smart and caring. I don't really care too much for you but in a poolroom and not a political argument that could change. What do you think of Chuck Hagle

mike60

Bobbyrx
06-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Why do I need the history textbook? John C. Fremont 1956

Yes Gayle is smart and caring

Hagle - a Republican Joe Lieberman

mike60
06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Bobbyrx, Thank you, real information i didn't know.
How exactly is Hagle a Joe Liebermen? Hagle isn't a cross the aisle twit with no agenda but to keep his job no matter the cost. No honor and no future for Liebermen.

mike60