PDA

View Full Version : used coin op tables

xjruss
06-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi All,

First post, tried searching but keep getting a database error... anyway, what's the consensus on the quality of coin op tables? I'm thinking of picking up a used one for the garage as I've seen them listed as low as $200 on craigslist.

Thanks.
Russ

Deeman3
06-18-2008, 01:39 PM
You usually get what you pay for but I am spoiled to the Diamonds when I have to play on a bar box. Truth being said, I WISH I was playing on more Diamonds....

dg-in-centralpa
06-18-2008, 02:31 PM
I bought a coin op table and had no trouble. Although I got mine from a vending machine owner. It had new cloth, new bar sticks, balls, and they set it up for me. I paid $795 about 15 years ago.

DG - I also like the Diamonds

MAC
06-18-2008, 02:53 PM
I have a old Valley in my basement, plays pretty good for a free table. I also have to say the Diamonds are great bar boxes.

Billy_Bob
06-19-2008, 09:00 AM
If you are going to play in tournaments and the tournaments use bar tables, then get a bar table.

The only thing is if it is your table... you can make it perfectly level, keep it very clean, get brand new cushions, etc.

Don't do this!

My advice if you are going to play in bar table tournaments is to keep your table at home not so level and in the same not-so-good condition as the tables where the tournaments are.

For example if your table is perfectly level, you can shoot very slow shots and the cue ball will go straight. Then you go to a bar and the table is not level and you try to shoot a very slow shot, then the ball curves and totally misses the object ball. Foul!

xjruss
06-19-2008, 09:31 AM
There are no tournaments in my future.

I'm just looking for a decent, used, table for personal use at home... for as little money as possible (obviously). I've always wanted a full-size table at home but can't justify the cost of a new one (especially the big names). If I can find something with good slate under $500 I'll be happy.

Rival Crown
06-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey, My suggestion is, IF you have room for a full regulation size, get that. and NO, you don't have to buy it new. A great place to look for pool tables is on Craigslist, that's where I got my 9ft Olhausen table fro 1300. I put new cloth and the works on it. You can even find ppl on CL who want to give away their table for free, because they're moving,or such and such. well, I did earlier at least. Maybe it's just me, I hate bar tables. or the oversized cue ball at least. but goodluck!

DeadCrab
06-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Garage is a good place for one, as the one-piece slate makes them difficult to move around corners or negotiate stairs.

Ditch the oversize or magnetic cueball.

Sometimes the pockets on bar tables have funky dimensions. If you like the table and are willing to put some money into it, after-market rails are available for major brands that may improve playability.

Shaft
06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
I have a new 8-ft Valley Black Cat coin op.

Pros: One-pc slate so I can move it without ($$$) professional help. Very easy to level. Built like a friggin' tank. I removed the ball keeper (two bolts) and thereby disabled the coin mechanism. Magnetic cue ball or oversized ball (Heaven forbid!) is not necessary.

Cons: Good, but relatively slow cloth (I will replace with a faster Simonis eventually). Wide corner pockets (2 balls can jiggle in the jaws), similar to 9-ft Diamonds I've played on, but way looser than 9-ft Brunswicks GCs. Ugly (but I don't care).

Some people say 8-ft is an odd size: most tournaments are on 9-ft or 7-ft tables. I don't care, I am not tournament material.

xjruss
07-01-2008, 04:14 PM
This all good input... I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on any table but I'm also not in any rush. I need to first clean up the disaster area I call my garage. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif