PDA

View Full Version : How Many Cues Do You Own?

TomBrooklyn
02-26-2002, 04:13 AM
<font color=blue>How many cues do you own?

Which is your favorite?

Do you play with them all, just one, or just some?</font color=blue>

02-26-2002, 04:30 AM

well 2 to come.....

2 vikings......1 players.....1 mali.......and one 3 piece sneaky pete.....

love my mali....my first cue hits great......after playing with my viking for oh......6 months....i retired it cause it lost me too much money.....the mali has been doing great ever since......just won me a tournament last thursday and got me 2nd the day before......

stickman
02-26-2002, 04:43 AM
I have three cues. One is a fairly inexpensive one, two piece unwrapped, that I use primarily for breaking. A friend borrowed it. (Never loan a cue.) That's a whole other thread of it's own. :-(

I also have a custom Pierpoint. It is a great stick, with a 12mm tip. When my game is on, I've never shot anything like it.

My third stick is a Viking. It is a good solid playing stick, with the standard 13mm tip. I shoot with it when my game is a little off. The larger tip is a little more forgiving.

I've found that if I'm having a slump, changing sticks often helped me get my game back. (Can't tell you why) Fortunately, my game has been pretty good for a while, and I'm using my favorite (Pierpoint) most of the time. :-)

Kato
02-26-2002, 08:21 AM
4 cues. 1 Cuetec Break/Jump cue, 1 Predator (1 is being sold), and 2 Helmstetters. New Predator comes in today then the ferrule experiment will begin. What the heck, it's only money.

Saw Troy Frank breaking with the Predator break cue. Although he breaks soft to medium I'm dying to get my hands on 1 of those puppies. Other posters say they are awesome.

R.J.

BillPorter
02-26-2002, 08:33 AM
Tom,

I own six cues. A very old sneaky pete made by a local cue guy that I never use (it's 57 inches...too short for me). An old Buddy Hall model Meucci which was my main playing cue for quite a while. An inexpensive Players that I bought to have something to play with while the Meucci was being repaired, rewrapped, refinished. A Predator that I bought sort of on impulse at Hawley's in Dallas when I was there last summer. The Predator plays great and was my main playing cue beating out the Meucci. Last month, while at a tournament in Louisville, KY I bought a Capone from Mike Capone. I'd heard a lot of good things about his cues and had never had a pricey custom cue....so I laid down 12 Ben Franklins and bought one. I like the Capone, but probably not $1,200 worth. I play with the Capone at times, but still use the Predator as well. And even the Meucci from time to time. I alomst forgot...I have a Lucasi break/jump stick, though why I can't really say since I don't know how to jump a ball and my break isn't hard enough to damage one of my regular playing cues.

Jay M
02-26-2002, 08:33 AM
4 cues

Meucci Gambler
2 point cheap Meucci
McDermott RS-12 (for sale)
Joss Patriot Cup edition (for sale with a large portion of the sale going to charity) This cue is new with only a couple of balls hit to see how it played, it's solid.

I only play with the Meucci's, the McDermott was purchased when the Meuccis were stolen and I needed a cue to use for a match and later the US Open. The Joss was won at the recent Patriot Cup Charity Tournament.

I should also mention that I have a Predator case, signed in silver ink by a large number of pros, that I am selling with the majority of the proceeds going to charity. The case was won at the Charity tournament for the Predator Women's 9 ball Open and is signed by several notables including:
All of the Patriot Cup participants with the exception of Mike Zuglan
Ewa Mataya Lawrence (sp)
Mike Sigel
Tiffany Nelson
Sarah Ellerby

There are other sigs, but those are the most notable ones. If you are interested in this case, let me know at compforce@hotmail.com

Jay M

SPetty
02-26-2002, 09:31 AM
Hi Jay,

Via what mechanism are you selling the case and cue? Just via word of mouth here? eBay? Your web site?

And, where's the pics?

Thanks.

Rich R.
02-26-2002, 09:32 AM
I have a table at home and I threw away the stock house cues when they became more U shaped, than straight. LOL. I have about 6 two-piece cues, all costing about $125 or less, that I use as house cues. Most play good enough for the intended use and are better than the cheap one piece cues they replaced. I use them often, when only hitting balls for a short time. My main cues, housed in my case, are a 33 year old cue, made by Leo Galli, a small time cue maker from NE Pennsylvania. This cue has mostly sentimental value, although last year I had Timmy Scruggs make me a new shaft for it. I use it as a break cue. My main playing cue is a Tim Scruggs cue, made last year also. This is the cue I use for any serious play or practice. Rich R.

cheesemouse
02-26-2002, 10:00 AM
Tom,
<ul type="square"> 2-McDermott 1-Mali 1-Palmer 1-Action(door prize) 1-sneaky pete two Preditor shafts[/list]

rackmup
02-26-2002, 10:03 AM
Just three:

Playing cue: McDermott D-15 with additional "custom" additions added by McDermott; mother-of-pearl inlay and a stain other than the "off the rack" models as well as a second, matching shaft. Bought new for me by my Grandad in 1984 for only $50.00! Still looks like new today and I play with it daily.

Break cue: McDermott Break cue. Black with I.L. wrap.

Jump cue: Meucci (no longer made)

Soon to be joined by: A Richard Black "Double Oval" model and a Predator Break cue.

Regards,

Ken

cuechick
02-26-2002, 10:08 AM
How much do we love talking about our cues! I have 5, and have sold 2 others. My first cue a birthday present (from an x-boyfirend) is "Slyfox"(HA!) I sometimes use it to break with.
A Viking I won in Vegas at the APA NAtionals is my favorite break cue but needs a new tip. 2 Joss's one with a predator shaft ( I have been breaking with it and use for a local bar tourny) , I won both in leagues at Corner Billiards.
The only cue I actually ever bought is a beautiful Troy Downey Custom cue and it really stops traffic! Lately I have put 3 dents in it from pure clumsiness, I am hoping to get it repaired in Vegas!

Mike D2
02-26-2002, 10:08 AM
I have a Southwest, Huebler, Alex Brick custom snekey pete, a Mali, and i have two more but i can't remember what they are.

02-26-2002, 01:48 PM
I own:

Two Cognoscentis (two shafts for one, four for the other)
One Predator break cue (two shafts)
A Joss 18 oz. (two shafts)
A Falcon 18 oz. (two shafts)
A Frog jump cue
A Bungee jump cue
A cuetec graphits (three shafts)

My favorite of course is the nicer of the two Cog's.

I carry in my case:
My nicer Cog, four shafts
Predator break cue, two shafts

02-26-2002, 01:50 PM
Sorry. Premature posting. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

In my cue case, I also carry my Bungee jumper.

All the other cues are sitting in a corner of my walk-in closet.

02-26-2002, 04:20 PM
Break Cue: "Mace" jump Break cue

Playing cue: Cuemaker unknown, has a SouthWest pin and is the best playing cue I have ever played with (2-shafts).
Cues owned previously: Schon, Joss, Helmstetter, Huebler,Mali.

CarolNYC
02-26-2002, 05:41 PM
2 Helmstetters-one the H-9 with predator shaft(3 other shafts)
Stamboulini
Eliminator break cue
"Star of David" Meucci
Viking cue with predator shaft
I play with the helmstetter!
Carol

Rod
02-26-2002, 06:40 PM
I own a few. 1 Willlie Hoppe w/3shafts, retired) 2 Palmer's,
1 w/5 shafts, retired) 1 Joss w/2 shafts, used as a break
cue sometimes. 1 Schön w/5 shafts, regular playing cue.
1 Mcdermott, cut off for a jump cue. 1 Pechauer, single shaft. Cuetec, Viking and ? Can't remember just cheapies.

Tom_In_Cincy
02-26-2002, 06:58 PM
Three Cues
Play with a Joss
Break with a Bludworth
Retired a Meucci Road Agent

Jay M
02-26-2002, 09:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>Hi Jay,

Via what mechanism are you selling the case and cue? Just via word of mouth here? eBay? Your web site?

And, where's the pics?
<hr></blockquote>

I'm putting them on my site. If I don't sell the Joss and the case before my events start, I'll auction them at the event and make the donation to the charity during the awards ceremony as a part of the check presentations.

I don't have pics of the Joss or case yet, but the info and pic of the Mcdermott is http://www.pooltournamentcentral.com/showitem.asp?adID=15

Jay

SPetty
02-27-2002, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr>I'm putting them on my site. If I don't sell the Joss and the case before my events start, I'll auction them at the event and make the donation to the charity during the awards ceremony as a part of the check presentations.

Jay <hr></blockquote>

Okay, Jay, now you're just begging this question: When is/are your event(s)? I recall months ago you were talking about putting something together. Is it now imminent? Details, man!

MinnesotaSlim
02-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Only own one cue. Huebler AS-H7, I have had it for a few years now and really like the feel of it. It cracked a few weeks ago and now just doesn't seem to feel the same. I am still in the market for a cue but not sure what to get. Leaning towards a Meucci or Viking.

Any sugestions?

Also, is a new balabushka really worth the money?

02-27-2002, 01:21 PM
IF you liked the Huebler so much why not get another one? A Meucci or a Viking will not have near the same feel as your Huebler did. My $.02

02-27-2002, 06:45 PM
(1) Jerry Olivier "plain jane" with a little butt inlay, 2 shafts, predator shaft.

(2) Sneaky Pete Jump/Break made by a local guy.

I actually bought a larger case to accomidate more cues. However, I now think I am going to sell the jump/break. I just never get it out of the case. It comes in handy at bars, and allot of my friends like to shoot with it. Yet, I like the Olivier allot, and I think it pairs well with the Predator shaft. Consequently, I use it for everything. I may try to get Jerry to make me a jump/break. I think it would be cool to have a interchangable system of butts and shafts. But my minimalist side wonders "do you really need more than one cue?" Uhm... Perhaps.

Rodney

Pizza Bob
04-18-2002, 07:41 AM
I have somewher in the neighborhood of 50 cues - but let me qualify that - most of those are inexpensive Brunswicks (NOT Taiwanese B'wicks) from the mid-60's to the mid-70's. I collect this era Brunswick cues, as it is the era in which I started playing pool and these B'wicks are largely ignored. Hopefully I'm ahead of the curve, here. Have about 10 or so cues (included in that 50)that I have played with or currently play with. Some of these are production cues (neatest is a McD D-22) and some customs. As in the previous post about switching cues, I pretty much stick with just one play and one break cue - both Capones.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Barbara
04-18-2002, 10:26 AM
Hmmmm, let's see....

I have a couple Palmer cues. A couple old Brunswicks. One collectible cue, never chalked. A Ted Harris sneaky pete made of some beautiful cocobolo. And one custom cue.

I play with the SP for the bar league. And I play with my custom cue everywhere else.

And I play with both shafts of my custom cue.

Barbara~~~admitting she's not TRULY a "one cue woman" with a couple "boyfriends" on the side...

Vicki
04-18-2002, 11:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Pizza Bob:</font><hr> I pretty much stick with just one play and one break cue - both Capones. <hr></blockquote>

Hi Bob,

We have the Capone thing in common. I have only two cues that matter - and those are my Capone's. I have other cues but they have not seen the light of day since I took delivery. I guess I found what I really like and I feel no desire to try something new or revert back to what I was using before. I know a bunch of players who switch now and then but everyone I know who has a Capone plays with it exclusively. See you in New Orleans, my friend.

Harold Acosta
04-18-2002, 11:54 AM
1 Schon ST-7 with 4 shafts (Retired - recently refinished)
1 Lucasi L-10U with 2 shafts (one is a Predator)
1 McDermott D-14 (Retired with Pro Players signatures)
4 Players cue
1 Mizerak cue
1 Action Jump/Break
1 Bunjee Jump

I'm currently playing with my Lucasi with Talisman Pro soft tips, using the Mizerak as a Break Cue. The bunjee jump will replace my Action Jump/Break as soon as I receive it.

I take the less expensive Players cues with me to bar table tournaments because if they are stolen, it wont hurt that much.

In addition, I own:
Jack Justis 2x4 case
Porper 2x4 case
Giuseppe 2x4 case
Instroke 3x7 case
Proline 1x1 case
Proline 1x2 case
Action 1x1 case
No Brand soft 2x2 case (purchased at Champs Sports)

Every cue and case is being used. All cues have Talisman Soft except the Mizerak and Action Break/Jump which have a Triangle tip.

Cuemage
04-18-2002, 05:48 PM
4 cues:
1. Schon STL3 12.5 mm, 59 inches long, 2 shafts, both with Le Pro tips, 19 oz.
2. Cuetech jump/break cue with Talisman Pro hard tip, 19.5 oz, 13mm.
3. Old school Meucci, 13mm, Le Pro tip, other stats unknown but shoots really well
4. Custom made Mike Lancaster (VA)...13mm, Le Pro tip...looks kinda like a Schon

Now I play with the Schon(favorite) &amp; break with the Cuetech.

Tha Cuemage

Barbara
04-18-2002, 08:21 PM
Hey Pizza Bob! When we hook up, I'll show you mine if you show me your Capones.

BTW do you know Trenton Marty? And if so, where the heck has he been?? I miss him! He also shoots with a Capone.

Barbara~~~got her first lesson from Marty---what a teacher!!

Elvis
04-18-2002, 08:52 PM
Over the years I have had about 5 cues made by Jeff Olney (IA). Love them but I now carry McDermott EK-6 with Predator shaft and Bungee Jump cue. I won the McDermott in a raffle at a tourney.