PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Predator 314 Shaft

08-08-2002, 12:30 PM
After 8 years of playing with stock Schon shaft, I have made the switch to a predator 314 shaft. No particular reasons, just thought I'd give it a try.

Guess what? I am having a little trouble adjusting to it. Aiming seems to be a little different. Have any of you made the switch and experienced an adjustment phase? What are the differences you noticed between conventional shafts versus the predator? Were there any benefits to switching to the predator?

Other than "messing up" my game, the shaft looks and shoots great.

Mark

08-08-2002, 01:18 PM
Don't make any adjustments as you did before. Where you aim is where it hits, even if you load up with extreme english.

jjinfla
08-08-2002, 01:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> After 8 years of playing with stock Schon shaft, I have made the switch to a predator 314 shaftMark <hr></blockquote> I am confused. (happens a lot lately) But I thought a Schon cue is a work of art valued around $2,000. Why would someone want to put a $200 shaft on it? Or is 90% of the value of a Schon in the butt? Jake

Michelle
08-08-2002, 01:39 PM
Yes, most of the value of a Schon cue is in the butt...the shafts hit well, but as far as price, they still cost about $50 less than a Predator shaft.

As for adjustment periods, most people do need one for the 314 shaft. Some people only take a few hours, some take a few weeks. I have found that the Predator shaft is more accurate, meaning, if I use 1 tip of right English, I get one tip of right English, no more, no less. Whereas with less stiff shafts, 1 tip of right English can give you much more English than you would expect. I use a Moori tip which does give a little more grip that I like, personally.

I know the 314 rocks/sux debates has gone on here over and over, but...half of the pros are using 314 shafts right now, so there has to be something to it.
If you like it, after getting used to it, great!
If you don't, at least you tried. /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Cueless Joey
08-08-2002, 01:58 PM
I have started a Predator Orphanage. For those poor orphan Predators whose owners didn't like them, I'll be happy to adopt the poor souls. Send them my way and I'll take care of them.

08-08-2002, 02:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> After 8 years of playing with stock Schon shaft, I have made the switch to a predator 314 shaft. No particular reasons, just thought I'd give it a try.

Guess what? I am having a little trouble adjusting to it. Aiming seems to be a little different. Have any of you made the switch and experienced an adjustment phase? What are the differences you noticed between conventional shafts versus the predator? Were there any benefits to switching to the predator?

Other than "messing up" my game, the shaft looks and shoots great.

Mark <hr></blockquote>

first, you should know that i sold my last regular cue, a pechauer, a couple of days ago and have completed my inventory to 3 pred. s.p.w. clearly, i'm sold on predator. been with it for about a year or more. i'm an experienced player. not a world beater.

there are really two factors which make the pred different. maybe better but different for sure.

one is radial consistancy. depending on how you turn a cue it will be stiffer or softer. some old timers learned to always look down and make sure they were shooting "on the feathers" to get that. preds radial splicing eliminates that variable. turn it any which way and it'll have the same stiffness.

second is the hole in the last few inches of the shaft and the light weight ferrule. when using lots of side english the cue ball will wind up going somewhat straighter with a pred. it does not completely eliminate throw but it reduces it.

i've found some very experienced players who simply cannot make that adjustment. or simply don't want to.

i took to the pred. the first time i really gave it a full evening workout. previously, i had tried it a bit but didn't like it much. it took some full power shots to convince me.

i'll let you in on a secret. the pred. sales guys will give the shaft to pro players and hand them the 314/cat decal separately with the understanding that they can use the shaft without the label and not screw-up their cue maker sponsorships. the pred. website lists something like half the major pro field using their shaft but there are a lot more using it who can't admit it.

in my experience, those shooters who make the transition never come back but some just don't like it period. the worst thing you can do is go back and forth between a pred. and a regular shaft. the adjustment is too subtle and you get all screwed up.

the best test is to try some real power shots with lots of english. if it's going to work for you, that's where you'll feel it first.

dan

08-08-2002, 02:27 PM
Don't make any adjustments as you did before. Where you aim is where it hits, even if you load up with extreme english.
Exactly.... That is what I tell everyone who gets a new 314 shaft. You don't have to adjust for throw anymore. Also it seems the firmer you hit with it the more accurate it is. Strange but true. In my opinion the Predator shaft is the greatest thing to happen to pool since the invention of resin balls.

Michelle
08-08-2002, 03:07 PM
MMMMM...Predator SPW, good...but have you tried the SPWU yet?? Very very nice.

08-08-2002, 03:53 PM
ok, looked it up. that's the stainless joint with the unilock. i really like a wood to wood joint. not sure why, just do. unilock is nice i guess for folks who don't have time to screw the thing in.

looks like your prices went up. bought one from you maybe a year ago and i think pred was selling it for $320 and y'all were $260. great service, got it the next day. i failed an i.q. test on that one. if'n ida gone to an out of state vendor on line i coulda saved the sales tax.

it is worthwhile to remind people that the best price on this stuff is not from the factory. they have to protect their vendors.

dan

phil in sofla
08-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Just before I got my 314, I had begun to understand how much to adjust my aimline for deflection on harder hit English shots, using the shaft that came with my Helmstedter. Once I switched, I had to quickly unlearn those adjustments, because my experience is like what has already been said on this thread: the ball isn't squirting enough to require an aim adjustment, 90% of the time or better.

It still does, somewhat, so, for instance, you can make those 'impossible' 90%+ cuts for balls frozen on the rail that you are dead straight on, by aiming much fuller than the edge of the ball, maybe almost a quarter ball, and hitting with firm bottom inside English, which deflects the cue ball towards the edge of the ball, missing it, and then kicking it in off the rail. I had that shot down cold with my original shaft, and had to relearn it with the 314, but it still works, showing that there is some deflection still left in the shaft. But as I say, for 90% or more of shots, I make no adjustments to allow for deflection.

Kato
08-08-2002, 06:41 PM
I played with Helmstetter's for the first 5 years of my development and decided to switch to Predator, bought a SP because Dan Jones loved his. Spent 6 weeks getting used to it and didn't think it had all the shots. Sold it and bought a SLP, only took a couple days to love that cue. Now I've gotten a Predator shaft for my Helmstetter 97-10. My big adjustment now is that I'm playing with a Moori med-hard. I'm going back to my 4-6 week adjustment period.

I can't comment on deflection because I don't recognize it. I just know it feels right. Give it time, you'll like it.

Kato~~~I like it alot.

jjinfla
08-08-2002, 07:59 PM
I have had my 314 for over a year and last month or so I had a Tiger tip put on and I am still not sure if I like the new tip. It sure is tough. I worked and worked to get it shaped and was ready to replace it several times but I am getting used to it now.

TonyM
08-08-2002, 08:06 PM
Sure some Schon's are worth a few grand, but you can buy a plain Schon for a lot less than that! And yes, the value is in the butt!

Tony

jjinfla
08-08-2002, 08:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: B.B:</font><hr>
You don't have to adjust for throw anymore. Also it seems the firmer you hit with it the more accurate it is. Strange but true. <hr></blockquote>

Well, I believe that the firmer (harder) you stroke with any cue you will have less swerve. But on that long shot wher the OB is on the rail and I am using low inside and trying to hit the rail first I still have to aim at the OB because I get swerve on a soft shot. Now when using top R/L I find I just make a very, very slight aiming adjustment. But, bottom line, I like it. Jake

griffith_d
08-09-2002, 06:48 AM
I got my Pred BK back last night from being fixed (New Tip) and I was trying to play with it also,...I tried this shot,...OB to the right of the side pocket a couple of inches, and the CB straight back on the opposite side. I used high left english and hit it very hard,...the cue ball came almost straight back, never touching anything, like I had given it draw. I was baffled. I worked better than draw.

I did the shot 5 times,...with the same result. Someone explain.

Griff

MikeM
08-09-2002, 07:33 AM
Mark,

There definitely is an adjustment period. I too got a predator shaft for my Schon. I have yet to find the patience to go through the adjustment period. I always go back to my Schon shafts. They do have Moori tips on them which may be the difference, but even with a new Talisman soft on the Predator, I've never felt comfortable enough to make the switch permanent. Hopefully you have more patience than I and will stick with it. Let us know the results.