PDA

View Full Version : Staying Down On Your Shot

TomBrooklyn
08-08-2002, 12:54 PM
Jimmy Reid has been known to say "stay down after you hit the cue ball for three seconds or until the balls stop rolling." Sometimes he says count 1001, 1002, 1003.

I think he was exagerating the amount of time to make the point that the shooter needs to stay down. Three seconds is a pretty long time to stay down after a shot.

Karatemom
08-08-2002, 01:03 PM
I have seen his No Time for Negative videos and he does state to stay down for 3 seconds after the object ball has been pocketed. However, I don't believe he means this literally. I have seen him count real fast and then get up. He still counted to 3, just quicker. I think it's just a conditioner to make sure you are staying down on the ball after contact, and not jumping up.

JMHO,

Heide

Lester
08-08-2002, 01:12 PM
Tom
I think that is the biggest (noticeable) mistake one can make. (I'm hoping Fran will validate this) If I match up with someone I see is "jumping up", I just wait until this starts making him miss, and then it gets worse because he can't figure out what he is doing wrong. What's amazing, is that in practice you can make all kinds of shots "jumping up", but add the pressure of a match or tournament play and this bad habit is magnified 100 times. Consequently, any trick that reminds you to stay down through the stroke would be a plus. JMHO ***Lester***

Wally_in_Cincy
08-08-2002, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Jimmy Reid has been known to say "stay down after you hit the cue ball for three seconds (count 1001, 1002, 1003) or until the balls stop rolling."

I think he was exagerating the amount of time required to get students used to staying down. Three seconds is a pretty long time to stay down after the shot. <hr></blockquote>

I try to stay down until the CB stops rolling. Unless I have to get out of the way of course. I think counting would be quite distracting.

Tom_In_Cincy
08-08-2002, 05:40 PM
I'm not one to argue with the likes of Jimmy Reid, but 3 seconds does sound a bit too long.

I think if you stay down after the cue ball makes contact with the OB.. that will be enough. Its just a matter of not getting up too quickley after you follow through.

TonyM
08-08-2002, 08:13 PM
Well I'm not so sure. I like to stay down until either the ball is in the pcoket, or the cueball stops rolling, unless I am in the way of either ball!

To help achieve that, I keep my forearm on the table (like a Snooker player). Try it, you cannot lift your head above a few inches without raising your arm off the table.

Also, I watch the point of aim until the cue ball has struck the object ball, and then, turn my eyes to watch the cueball, or the object ball.

Tony
-probably for at least 2 seconds, maybe 3.....

cheesemouse
08-08-2002, 10:06 PM
Tom,
I like 'down for the sound'; either the sound of the cb hitting the ob or the ob hitting the pocket. It just seems like long enough.

Scott Lee
08-08-2002, 10:25 PM
Tom...I teach to stay down until the OB goes in...on a soft shot this could easily be Jimmy Reid's "3 seconds"!

Scott Lee

Voodoo Daddy
08-09-2002, 12:22 AM
Well, I couldnt resist this post. I'm a believer in the 3 second rule. I have taught this to countless people with some good results, but once a player can draw whitey, they all but shelve those important rules only to come back to them...one of which I firmly believe is the 3 second rule. I hope I set the example of this rule...bad back and all.

Rich R.
08-09-2002, 05:05 AM
I have seen Jimmy Reid's video and I have taken a lesson from Scott Lee. I am a firm believer that you should stay down after your shot, until the OB is in the pocket.
Unfortunately, my opponents think I should get out of their way, so they can take their shot. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.

cheesemouse
08-09-2002, 05:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rich R.:</font><hr> I have seen Jimmy Reid's video and I have taken a lesson from Scott Lee. I am a firm believer that you should stay down after your shot, until the OB is in the pocket.
Unfortunately, my opponents think I should get out of their way, so they can take their shot. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R. <hr></blockquote>
That's funny; I like funny... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Q-guy
08-09-2002, 05:26 AM
He may be asking you to stay down a little long as a training aid to develop the habit. There is no doubt though that staying down briefly, is key to playing consistent pool. Jumping up, or trying to physically steer the cueball after you shoot can be come a hard habit to break. It is better to form good habits in the beginning, then to be trying to break bad ones. I think that is his point and a short cut to learning the game. That may be the biggest reason for the need for instruction. It is much better to learn right, then to be trying to correct bad habits later.

bluewolf
08-09-2002, 05:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> Well, I couldnt resist this post. I'm a believer in the 3 second rule. I have taught this to countless people with some good results, but once a player can draw whitey, they all but shelve those important rules only to come back to them...one of which I firmly believe is the 3 second rule. I hope I set the example of this rule...bad back and all. <hr></blockquote>

i stay down until i have made contact with the cb and completed my follow through.not sure if i stay down any longer than that since i havent counted the seconds

bluewolf

griffith_d
08-09-2002, 06:35 AM
I bought one of Jimmy's tape,...very informative and the 3 second rule was there. I stay down, but not as long as I should. Every once in a while I stay down a long time,...just to enjoy the ball dropping.

Griff

Q-guy
08-09-2002, 07:55 AM
You know, a real place where staying down and not trying to watch the object ball go in the pocket is on cross side and cross corner banks. The player may have a tendency to want to turn and see if they made the bank. The anticipation of this can affect the shot. Shoot the bank and listen but don't turn. Be aware though that balls on the table are moving and don't foul a moving ball with your bridge hand still resting in the table. It is amazing how many little things you learn to help you play your best. It never ends.

08-09-2002, 08:14 AM
Me too. Staying down too long has a lot less disasterous effects as getting up too quick. I'd bet that 90 percent of the people who play pool don't know what it feels like to stay down on their shots. They think they do, but when they actually do it, it feels to them like they're down longer than they need to be.

I always tell my students, if they think they stayed down long enough, they probably didn't, and if they think they stayed down too long, it's probably just right.

Fran

TomBrooklyn
08-09-2002, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Tom...I teach to stay down until the OB goes in...on a soft shot this could easily be Jimmy Reid's "3 seconds"!<hr></blockquote>In addition to making sure you are not jerking the cue in any way on the hit, maybe watching the ball into the pocket (or where it misses to) helps ingrain in your mind where the OB goes and the CB goes after being hit the way you hit them.

If you don't stay focused on the path of the balls on a miss, and you get up with exasperation or some other thoughts/emotions instead of just watching the balls, maybe you don't get as much benefit of having the shot you took engrained in the hand/eye/brain computer. Sometimes I felt that.
-TB-

Rod
08-09-2002, 09:48 AM
Quote Tom,I think he was exagerating the amount of time to make the point that the shooter needs to stay down. Three seconds is a pretty long time to stay down after a shot."

HA, I will say this, if 95+ percent of the pool playing population stayed down three seconds, " they would wonder what time of day it is". /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif It is important, after all where would you go in that 3 seconds? If there is something more important at the time, then why don't you do that instead of playing pool.lol I can't remember of ever telling some one, Oh you stayed down to long. Some shots won't allow that time of course but it is a good habit, especially if you compare it to jerking up. It will help most players with concentration because most people lose it at the time the cue tip makes contact with the c/b, or before, when they play bad. Good Question Tom, do exaggerate this.

Kato
08-09-2002, 09:52 AM
You didn't just go there Rich?/ccboard/images/icons/tongue.gif

Kato

CarolNYC
08-09-2002, 03:19 PM
Well, of course I learned the hardway! Thanks for buying the STUN-GUN,Fran!lol
Carol-tries VERY hard to stay down!

bluewolf
08-09-2002, 03:45 PM
since i started staying lower on the ball, my head stays down. when i was more upright, the head popped up more.

bluewolf

TomBrooklyn
08-09-2002, 04:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I'd bet that 90 percent of the people who play pool don't know what it feels like to stay down on their shots.<hr></blockquote>I was surprised by the size of your estimate Fran. Are you are including all the ball-bangers in the world, or did you mean 90% of the serious players?

08-09-2002, 04:21 PM
I'm including ball-bangers, of course. But ball-bangers can be ball-bangers all the way through intermediate level. Haha!

Fran

bluewolf
08-10-2002, 01:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cheesemouse:</font><hr> Tom,
I like 'down for the sound'; either the sound of the cb hitting the ob or the ob hitting the pocket. It just seems like long enough. <hr></blockquote>

when i was watching the women pro championship today (rerun), one of them stayed down until the ob went in. the other one stayed down until she had done her followthrough

bluewolf

Chris Cass
08-10-2002, 11:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr> I have seen his No Time for Negative videos and he does state to stay down for 3 seconds after the object ball has been pocketed. However, I don't believe he means this literally. I have seen him count real fast and then get up. He still counted to 3, just quicker. I think it's just a conditioner to make sure you are staying down on the ball after contact, and not jumping up.
JMHO,
Heide <hr></blockquote>

Believe my Heide. After watching you shoot. The 5 min rule applies. haha Just remember, get down and get comfortable. LOLLOLLOLLOL

I think you've heard that enough.

C.C.~~ in her sleep all I hear is..get down and get cofortable...Jimmy Reid is burnt in her brain muscle. LOL

Karatemom
08-11-2002, 12:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr>
Believe my Heide. After watching you shoot. The 5 min rule applies. haha Just remember, get down and get comfortable. LOLLOLLOLLOL

I think you've heard that enough.

C.C.~~ in her sleep all I hear is..get down and get cofortable...Jimmy Reid is burnt in her brain muscle. LOL <hr></blockquote>

Boy you are just so funny, I can't hardly contain myself. You'll pay for that one.

Heide ~ up to no good, again

08-11-2002, 01:03 PM
At last, something sensible.

bluewolf
08-12-2002, 10:43 AM
this is the kind of thing i want to focus on in my lesson with Scott. To make sure I have all of the fundamentals exactly right.

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-13-2002, 03:40 AM
Ive have been told i am not staying down on my shot the way i should be. bummers. i was staying down until i hit the cb but that is not long enough. obviously a fundamental i need to work on.

we see scott lee in 10 days or less.we are getting videitaped too.i really want to master these fundamentals so i can move on from there and be more consistent