PDA

View Full Version : I Q / B S -- Same thing

08-08-2002, 01:49 PM
WHO REALLY CARES!!!!! i personally know many people that i consider to be geniuses in their chosen fields. this has nothing to do with IQ or education but with simply applying themselves to the skill at hand, dedicating themselves to be the best & the gaining of knowledge & experinece over long periods of trial & error. just show me anyone that gets it right the first time and every time.
it seems that we've become a culture that puts more emphasis on "certified intelligence", usually in the form of a sheep skin, and care little about knowledge & experinece. my degree did not prepare me for what i learned from a life of hard knocks in the 60's & 70's or have any influence in making me the type person I WANTED TO BE.
i've been around the world, dIvorced from a ugly woman, seen 2 goat roping & a ape raping and still cannot understand how just by having a high I Q anyone can say "I'M BETTER THAN YOU"

those that think they know everything about everything certainly make it hard on us that know somethings about somethings

08-08-2002, 08:40 PM
Simsd-
Yo man, Chill! You're gonna pop a vessel with all that vitriole! Listen, IQ is not bull$hit, but neither is it the be-all and end-all. Simply put, intelligence is the ability to take prior knowledge and apply it to new situations/problems. It is unfortunate that there are those who would use their supposed intelligence to disparage or repress others. We call them "pseudo-intellectuals". Don't let them get to you, Bro.

bluewolf
08-09-2002, 06:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> Simsd-
Yo man, Chill! You're gonna pop a vessel with all that vitriole! Listen, IQ is not bull$hit, but neither is it the be-all and end-all. Simply put, intelligence is the ability to take prior knowledge and apply it to new situations/problems. It is unfortunate that there are those who would use their supposed intelligence to disparage or repress others. We call them "pseudo-intellectuals". Don't let them get to you, Bro. <hr></blockquote>

Agreed IQ is not BS. in learning it usually mean you are capable of getting to the same place faster. but if the intelligence is too high, the person can feel alienated, alone and in the case of my son:went from menial job to menial job, frustrated because he knew he was brilliant but unable to get his s*** together in ordinary things of life.finally at 28, he became determined he was going to get on with his life and works full time and goes to school full time now with an a average since the courses are easy for him. before, he would go to one class, go home, stay up all night and read the book, then not go back because the classes now seemed stupid

"Just because a person acts stupid, does not mean they are stupid"

Bluewolf

TomBrooklyn
08-09-2002, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr> "Just because a person acts stupid, does not mean they are stupid"<hr></blockquote>That reminds me of what Forrest Gump's mother used to say: "Stupid is as stupid does."

I have no idea what that means. It's nonsense, isn't it?

Patrick
08-09-2002, 05:44 PM
There is nobody who understands me.

Patrick

bluewolf
08-10-2002, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Patrick:</font><hr> There is nobody who understands me.

Patrick <hr></blockquote>

You are right patrick. When someone is extremely brilliant,they often feel quite alone, because they are alone.Mere mortals cannot understand their mind.

I had a friend like that.He told me how alone he felt and could not connect with anyone due to his intelligence. He went through drugs etc to kill the pain of isolation. Eventually he got his stuff together got his doc at purdue in chemistry and became a professor there.

Although I did not have his brain, he found in me a friend who would listen to his frustraions and what he is feeling.

It is impossible to understand a brain that complex. All any of us can do is be a friend by listening.

bluewolf

stickman
08-10-2002, 08:05 AM
simsd, I haven't read the other thread because it's too long, I've been away on vacation, and I doubt it will do much to improve my pool. As far as IQ as I understand it, it is only a measure of one's capacity to learn, and not a true measure of intelligence. I have a brother that is in the genious catagory. He has the same life's struggles as the rest of us. He also seems to struggle with common sense issues.

As for my own IQ, depending on the test used, I fall at or just below the genious level. This doesn't make me any better than anyone. I feel I've been blessed in that I have been able to do just about anything within reason that I've ever wanted to do, but not without working at it. Everyone is blessed in some manner or another.

cheesemouse
08-10-2002, 08:30 AM
I don't know what my IQ is and I just use the wet finger in the air method of judging anothers IQ. If I meet someone with a lower IQ then me there is no breeze, if they have a higher IQ there is a breeze created. I think I must be over the 50% mark because I meet more calm people than windy ones... LOL LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Patrick creates a breeze thru my monitor.....heeheheheh

bluewolf
08-10-2002, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: stickman:</font><hr> simsd, I haven't read the other thread because it's too long, I've been away on vacation, and I doubt it will do much to improve my pool. As far as IQ as I understand it, it is only a measure of one's capacity to learn, and not a true measure of intelligence. I have a brother that is in the genious catagory. He has the same life's struggles as the rest of us. He also seems to struggle with common sense issues.

As for my own IQ, depending on the test used, I fall at or just below the genious level. This doesn't make me any better than anyone. I feel I've been blessed in that I have been able to do just about anything within reason that I've ever wanted to do, but not without working at it. Everyone is blessed in some manner or another. <hr></blockquote>

great post stickman. the reason i do not think iq and intelligence are the same is because the person's area of intelligence might not be measured by the test or other areas unrelated to their brilliance might bring their score down.

i had a friend who was brilliant in math, physics, chemistry and computers. his mind was so advanced though, that he could not communicate very well. so a traditional test that has a combination of verbal and spatial parts penalyzed him, giving him a score of 130, when he was much more brilliant than that. like patrick, a purely spatial or spatial/math reasoning iq test would have been a more accurate assessment of his intelligence.

in my work as a school psychologist and administering the stanford binet and wechsler iq tests i have found the following:

those who are faily evenly bright in verbal and spatial skills and who have fast speed of processing score higher,especially on the wechsler.

the stanford binet is not as dependent on rigourous timing so that if someone is not lightning fast on processing speed, they are not penalized as much.

also, with the sb, the examiner can pick which subtests to give which will more accurately reflect the person's ability. for instance, i had a boy who was handicapped in verbal processing. in the memory section, i did not ask him to repeat digits or sentences. i administered the object memory portion which is visual with some spatial aspects.

the stanford binet does give a global iq though that still penalizes a person with a brilliance in a particular area, especially if their mind is so advanced in the spatial area that they cannot communicate as well as very verbal folks.

i tested a brilliant asbergers 5 yo boy on the stanford binet. he was above average in verbal, superior in memory because i gave digits instead of sentences. he was genius in the mathematical and spatial portions. those areas were high enough to still give him a genius score, but his true brilliance is obviously higher.

people who are brilliant in math and spatial reasoning often have a weakness in verbal abstract reasoning (my strength). at the age of 5, the sb does not require abstract reasoning. when he is older and is given the wechsler, which is heavily weighted in verbal abstact reasoning, this boy will be severely penalized in his iq score. also if his processing speed isnt fast, he will even be peanalized on the spatial part of the test, due to the rigourous time restraints.

so is iq the same thing as intelligence? usually not

Just because this savant lady got a 240, does this make her more brilliant than patrick? i think not.

count your lucky stars when these brilliant people use their capabilities for good rather than for evil

bluewolf

bluewolf
08-10-2002, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cheesemouse:</font><hr> I don't know what my IQ is and I just use the wet finger in the air method of judging anothers IQ. If I meet someone with a lower IQ then me there is no breeze, if they have a higher IQ there is a breeze created. I think I must be over the 50% mark because I meet more calm people than windy ones... LOL LOL /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Patrick creates a breeze thru my monitor.....heeheheheh <hr></blockquote>

I just love reading your posts! You are sooo funny.

bluewolf

heater451
08-10-2002, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf. . .When someone is extremely brilliant,they often feel quite alone, because they are alone.[/quote:</font><hr>I think MANY more people often feel alone, and not because they are brilliant. . . .

TomBrooklyn
08-10-2002, 03:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: bluewolf:</font><hr>Just because this savant lady got a 240, does this make her more brilliant than patrick? i think not.<hr></blockquote> You are clearly of woman of great vision. I am looking forward to the publication of your jointly authored tome. It should send the value of my Original No. 1 Autographed Card through the roof!