View Full Version : Global Warming: Hansen's Speech

Gayle in MD
06-24-2008, 08:17 AM
http://www.worldwatch.org/node/5798

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > SCITECH

NASA Scientist: Put CEOs On Trial for Global Warming Lies
Tuesday, June 24, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:

The heads of major fossil-fuel companies who spread disinformation about global warming should be "tried for high crimes against humanity and nature," according to a leading climate scientist.

Dr. James Hansen, director of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York, sounded the alarm about global warming in testimony before a Senate subcommittee exactly 20 years ago.

He returned to the topic Monday with a speech at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., given to the Worldwatch Institute.

Click here to visit FOXNews.com's Natural Science Center.

"Special interests have blocked the transition to our renewable energy future," Hansen writes in an opinion piece posted on the institute's Web site. "Instead of moving heavily into renewable energies, fossil fuel companies choose to spread doubt about global warming, just as tobacco companies discredited the link between smoking and cancer. Methods are sophisticated, including funding to help shape school textbook discussions of global warming."

"CEOs of fossil energy companies know what they are doing and are aware of the long-term consequences of continued business as usual," Hansen continues. "In my opinion, these CEOs should be tried for high crimes against humanity and nature."

RelatedStories
Junk Science: Al Gore's Epic Hypocrisy Alaska Spending Millions to Relocate Villages Affected by Climate Change Could Waning Sunspots Bring On New Ice Age? Scientists Seek Vaccine for Livestock Flatulence Report: NASA Distorted Global-Warming Studies Later in the day, Hansen appeared at an informal briefing on Capitol Hill with Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., head of the House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming.

Hansen told Congress that the world has long passed the "dangerous level" for greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and needs to get back to 1988 levels. He said Earth's atmosphere can only stay this loaded with man-made carbon dioxide for a couple more decades without changes such as mass extinction, ecosystem collapse and dramatic sea level rises.

"We're toast if we don't get on a very different path," Hansen, who is sometimes called the godfather of global warming science, told The Associated Press. "This is the last chance."

To cut emissions, Hansen said coal-fired power plants that don't capture carbon dioxide emissions shouldn't be used in the United States after 2025, and should be eliminated in the rest of the world by 2030. That carbon capture technology is still being developed and not yet cost efficient for power plants.

"We see a tipping point occurring right before our eyes," Hansen told the AP before a luncheon at the National Press Club.

"The Arctic is the first tipping point and it's occurring exactly the way we said it would."

Hansen, echoing work by other scientists, said that in five to 10 years, the Arctic will be free of sea ice in the summer.

Asked by a reporter about the feasibility of putting corporate CEOs on trial, Hansen dodged the question, stressing instead the need to take stronger measures against global warming.

Click here to read Hansen's opinion piece on the Web site of the Worldwatch Institute.

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/5798

Gayle in MD
06-24-2008, 08:30 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/23/richard-clarke-mccain-sho_n_108812.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">John McCain's chief advisor, Charlie Black, ignited a firestorm with his comments that another terrorist attack on the U.S. would create a "big advantage" for McCain. Richard Clarke, the former counterterrorism chief for the U.S., appeared on Countdown with Keith Olbermann and slammed Black's comments as the "politics of fear." Clarke called for McCain to fire Black: "Charlie Black ought to be gone tomorrow morning."

[WATCH]

</div></div>
This man has represented some of the world's worst tyrants, and he's out there saying that a terrorist attack would be good for John McCain! That's quite an election strategy. Guess McCain figured it worked for W. in 04, with a little help from the Ohio Republican Committee Chairman, that is.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

pooltchr
06-24-2008, 06:01 PM
While Black's comments may not be the strategy of the McCain campaign, and are most certainly not politically correct, it's not far off the mark. God forbid, we suffer another terrorist attack, and the poles would swing in favor of McCain overnight. When polling the strengths of each candidate, McCain is way ahead of Obama when it comes to national defense. Another attack would certainly bring that issue to the top of the public's collective mind, and a swing to an ex-military man would be almost sure to follow.

People do not want to hear the truth...they only want to hear the politically correct version of the truth.

Steve

Gayle in MD
06-25-2008, 07:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While Black's comments may not be the strategy of the McCain campaign, and are most certainly not politically correct, it's not far off the mark. <span style="color: #000066">I'd say they've probably been discussing it between themselves, and Black slipped up in public. </span> God forbid, we suffer another terrorist attack, and the poles would swing in favor of McCain overnight. <span style="color: #000066">OMG, I can't believe you wrote that! </span> When polling the strengths of each candidate, McCain is way ahead of Obama when it comes to national defense. <span style="color: #000066">Way ahead? Hey, it's the only hope he has, since he is way behind in everything else, but actually, once the discussion opened up, and more people were educated about the negative results of all the Bush policies which McCain has supported, throughout, that little margin would change. Ten trillion plus debt, (which in accrual accounting is actually more like 54 trillion, not ten trillion, according to the official Financial Report Of The U.S. Government) would serve to educate the public on why Republican foreign policies are a huge part of the economic mess we're in right now. </span> Another attack would certainly bring that issue to the top of the public's collective mind, and a swing to an ex-military man would be almost sure to follow.
<span style="color: #000066">I don't think so, but then I wouldn't ever bring such a horrible subject up in that context, partisan wishes for winning an election, which you seem comfortable doing. No surprise. Anyway, McCain's experience was certainly not as a Military Leader, responsible for decision making. He could probably be fit to advise soldiers on how to deal with imprisonment, and torture, oh, but wait, he's for torture, even thought the Military states over and over that it doesn't work, and that it endangers our own soldiers.</span>

People do not want to hear the truth...they only want to hear the politically correct version of the truth.

<span style="color: #000066">After nearly eight years of lies, Americans are fed up with lies, that's why they want change more than anything, and also, the paramount issue isn't terrorism, anyway, it's the economy. People are thirsty for the truth, and tired of Republican lies and barricades to solutions to serious problems, resulting in unprecedented debts, which have worsened everything, from our foreign oil addiction, to our emboldened enemies, to our National Security and economy. You are overlooking the fact that 70% of the American People think that this mess in Iraq was a mistake. That flies totally in the face of thinking McCain would ultimately benefit from such an UNSPEAKABLE event. The enhanced discussions on the Bush/Republican foreign policy results would ultimately work against McCain, who isn't fit to even run for the Office in the first place. There are more economists speaking out every day, educating the public about all the formerly hidden costs of Bush's policies, and people are beginning to make the connection between this misguided mess in Iraq, and their present economic circumstances. The obvious eventual result of yet ANOTHER attack, on Bush's watch, would most surely eventually serve to highlight his failed foreign policies. It would point out that Bush took his eye off al Qaeda, in Pakistan, for his oil war in Iraq, a mistake, so say Americans, and it would result in the most effective campaign attacks on Republican foreign policies, of all the many other options for pointing out their failures and damage.
Gayle in Md.</span>

</div></div>

Chopstick
06-26-2008, 09:12 AM
Have you even read Hansen's speech?

Gayle in MD
06-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Which speech are you asking about? He has made many. There are links in my post that lead to everything, and I've read everythig I could find, and watched his testimony. Have you?

I'm not a scientist, but regardless of whether one is supporting the warnings of the scientists from the corners of the earth, or trying to refute them, the vast number of examples that Corporate and Bush/Republican Oil cronies have tried to blockade and censor their reports, and dilute scientific studies, even using the hiring of only Attorney Generals that are Bushies in order to difuse the science, and protect those who trash our environment, is enough to me to see what's going on.

I think Mr. Hansen and his predictions are been right on.

Gayle in Md.

Chopstick
06-30-2008, 08:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which speech are you asking about? He has made many. There are links in my post that lead to everything, and I've read everythig I could find, and watched his testimony. Have you?

I think Mr. Hansen and his predictions are been right on.

Gayle in Md. </div></div>

Yes, I have. I am referring to "the speech", his original testimony to Congress. I also read the testimony of the others who disagreed with him. The reason I asked is because of the statement you made about all of his predictions being true. You must be aware that he made three predictions, all with very different outcomes. To me it is the equivalent of taking the end rail off of the pool table and shooting a ball off the end and declaring a dead shot.

The current temperature trend is below all three of Hansen's predictions and heading in the opposite direction. Haven't you noticed that all of these 20th anniversary Hansen graphs stop at 2000. They don't want you to see what's happening. In '88 the guy says it's getting warmer. I say good. It's too cold anyway. 1991 Mt. Pinatubo erupts. The second largest eruption in recorded history putting more "stuff" into the atmosphere that all of humanity combined possibly could. The temperate goes up and everyone cries "Climate Hero".

Meanwhile, 8 years later the atmosphere settles down and cools off. What? The atmosphere heated up and now it's cooling down. That's a ridiculous idea. That's why you won't see any true to scale Hansen graphs out there with current data on it. I have seen one and it doesn't look good for Mr. Hansen. I tried to find it again and post it but like so many other data sources out there that contradict the party line, they tend to disappear.

That more than anything convinces me that it is all BS. If it's true, why suppress the data?