PDA

View Full Version : Pit Bulls and other similar breeds

MAC
06-26-2008, 02:39 PM
I have a Pit Bull and a American Bulldog. Just trying to get something positve said about the breeds with all the bad publicity they receive due to bad owners. I think its important people get educated about the breed before people condemn them because of false information.

Vapros
06-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Clarify a little, Mac. What false information do you have in mind?

sack316
06-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Mac, I can't speak from any sort of personal knowledge on this one. I've heard bits and pieces from both sides. But since you own both breeds how bout you share your experience with your furry kids? Give us the benefit of hearing your experience that we won't get to hear on any news programming these days.

Sack

Gayle in MD
06-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Mac,
I'm afraid of big dogs. They know I'm afraid of them, believe me. I also dearly love all animals, and think that our laws to protect them, and go after animkal abusers are not sufficient.

When I am out in public and there is a little gal with Pit Bulls on leashes, usually there are two of them, it seems, and I start looking for a place of shelter, invariably, the owner will start saying something like, "Oh, they won't hurt you."

I'm thinking, yeah, right! How the hell do you know what they might do, and how the hell are you going to stop them.

When it comes to the kinds of dogs that can easily kill a person, our laws are not sufficient, IMO. I've seen women with two Pit Bulls in public, knowing full well that if those dogs picked up on my fears, they could most surely get free of their owner, and I'd be a bloody corpse in no time.

If folks are going to be allowed to keep these kinds of dogs, the rest of society should not be put at risk, IMO. They should keep them at home, well secured, so that they cannot hurt people, and other animals.

I once had a very close friend with two Pit Bulls. They got out and killed his neighbor's little poodle, tore it to pieces, and we've all heard of adults, and children killed by these animals. While I'm all for protecting any animal, I do not think these dogs are fit to be in public, given their dangerous potential. I do not think there are sufficient safety requirements in place for the owners of these kinds of dogs, how they are housed, and where they are allowed to be taken.

Gayle in Md.

Sid_Vicious
06-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I have known pit bulls which were as gentle and docile as can be. Maybe I'm a fool but I for one don't feel threatened by them, yet any kind of warning from the owner keeps me totally away. Liability-wise, I'd not own one though. You never know, and it's not worth the risk IMO...sid

MAC
06-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Gayle, I know what you mean I too have a fear of a particular breed that goes back to my early childhood. I am scared to death of Rottweillers but I dont let that stop me from petting one when I come across them. Dogs are like people they are all different they each have their own personalties, likes, dislikes, etc.
The American Pitbull Terrier happens to be my breed of choice for several reasons. First and foremost beleive it or not they are great with kids. Alot of people dont think this is true, 99.9% percent of dog attacks on children lies solely with childs parents for not supervising the kids. I dont care what kind of dog it is a toy poodle,etc. it doesnt matter it shouldnt be left alone with a child period no excuses. A example would be "Petey" from the little rascals he was a Pit Bull and never harmed one child on the set.
The second reason is they are about the best companions you can have when it comes to dogs they would do anything that their owners would want them to. That is the problem also though bad owners take a Pit Bulls will and desire to please their owner and turn that into something negative and make them fight so they can make a few bucks here and there. However what you dont see in the news about the breeds is all the good things they do.Some of the best rescue dogs, bomb sniffing dogs, and drug dogs are Pit Bulls.
I have had several dogs ranging Boxers, American Bulldogs, Pit Bulls, American Staffordshire Terriers including some Huskies. Out of all dogs I have had the most people aggressive dog I have owned was a Pembroke Welsch Corgie if you dont know what that is it is a very small dog used for herding.

Gayle something you may want to look in to if you have some free time is agression or temperment testing on dogs. Pit Bulls scored higher than any other popular dogs as being non aggressive toward people with a passing rate of nearly 90%. While Border Collies(Lassie) was in the low 70 percentile range. Honestly it doesnt surprise me that your friends dogs killed a poodle. They are dog aggressive animals that is what the used to be used for Bull baiting and dog fighting. Those dogs your friends had should have never been able to get out, matter a fact if you are not going to keep this breed as a inside dog you shouldnt own one period. As far as rules and regulations they shouldnt be any different for these breeds of dogs as any other breed. It all comes down to the owner they shape and mold their dog from a puppy. Descriminating against Pit Bulls would be no different than saying "throw all black males under 30 in jail they seem to cause the most problems"
Im sorry if I went on and on but I could debate this all day for every bad thing I hear about this lovely breed I can tell you five good things. One more example of non violent these dogs truly are mine will not go in the yard when she sees a rabbit she is afraid of them.

MAC
06-27-2008, 02:04 PM
False information was not a good way to word that. I should have used stereotyping. The reason I started this thread was over the weekend I took my Pit Bull "Dakota" to the ball park. A couple of younger kids came over to pet her she is 7 months old.
Apparently the kids parents saw this and freaked out and rushed over and told their kids they need to stay away from dogs that look like that. This upset me because the whole reason I take my dogs places is so they can be socialized and meet as many people as possible so they dont be weary of strangers and like everyone.

sack316
06-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Correct me if I am wrong MAC, but wouldn't the parents rushing over in a state of panic likely be the most dangerous thing to do in that scenario?

Sack

Gayle in MD
06-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Mac,
Thank you for your understanding and kind reply. I wish all dog owners were just like you, and you are right, one breed shouldn't be discriminated against, although I don't feel that way when I come across them, and they start to growl, bark and show their teeth, lol.

I love all animals, and my dear friend, Carol in NY, who posts here occasionally, has pit bulls, also, and says the same things about them that you are saying.

I do wish, though, that dog owners could understand that some of us seem to send a fear signal, that their dogs pick up on, and you can understand how it is even more frightening, given some of the horror stories that are in the news, about Rottweillers, and Pitt Bulls.

As you say, it isn't the dogs, it's the owners. That's so true, but do you think a young slender gal could hold back two Pitt Bulls? That's what is so upsetting, I can see that the dogs want a big bite, and I don't know anything about the owners! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

MAC
06-27-2008, 07:08 PM
You are correct it definetly does not help difuse the situation. Usually when this happens the parents come in first and pet the dog and make sure everything is ok.Thats fine, I understand we all want to protect our children. These particular parents had no such understanding and did everything but nearly drag their kids away. They caused a bigger scene than my dog ever would have, to the extent I even heard someone ask if my dog bit one of the kids! I've even thought of not going to the ballpark with her anymore but my nephew loves it when I bring her as well as several other kids on his team. I just try and show as many people I can that they are great companions, they just dont do well with other pets sometimes.

MAC
06-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Gayle,
I assure you that if it is indeed a smaller lady holding two Pit Bulls if they wanted you they would have had you. I know that does not sound very comforting, bhat you have to look at is this breed of dog is probably the strongest most athletic one you can come across. Some have the ability to jump 8 foot fences no problem and can pull literally thousands of pounds. Go to you tube and search "Pit Bull 95 Pontiac". I dont condone such behavior but alot of people use competition weight pulling to excercise these dogs. They are a very very high energy breed and need lots of excercise, these are not the dog for the couch potato. Which is also another explanation some of these dogs act out in aggressive ways, they are simply starved of attention its very sad this is why I always adopt all my dogs to give them the life they should have had to start with.
It is just simply not bred into these dogs to be aggressive toward people. When they would fight these dogs (obviously a real long time ago before it was illegal) if any these dogs showed aggression towards people they were destroyed immediately,pretty much doing whatever they could to get these dogs as people friendly as possible. They did this becuase while they were fighting them they would constantly be handling the dogs and repitting them (kind of like breaking two boxers up so they continue fighting instead of hugging).While doing this nobody wanted to worry getting bitten so thats why they got rid of all the dogs thats showed human aggression.
I know alot of what I have posted here is controversial, so I wanted to make sure everyone knows I do not condone dog fighting one bit. I just merely stating the facts.

mike60
07-04-2008, 02:35 PM
I know several people with Pit Bulls and they are very nice dogs. The training is what
counts.

mike60

Bambu
07-05-2008, 03:09 PM
I have owned pitbulls for 30 years, and every one I had was as gentle and sweet as could be. Great family pet. If there is going to be a ban of any kind, it should be against ANY vicious or dangerous dog, not a whole breed. Cracking down on dog fighting in general would help. Some people actually see "sport" in that. If I had my way, I'd pull up a chair, get some pop corn, and watch the owners fight it out to the death.

Deeman3
07-05-2008, 03:53 PM
you guys are right, its' the training and treatment that make a dog good or bad. DeeWoman has rescued a few bulldogs and most are wonderful and loving. It is shame but the ones trained to fight and kll often must be destroyed or kept in a very controlled environment.