PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Lapse Of Run-Out Realization

Sid_Vicious
06-27-2008, 11:16 AM
This has happened before, to many here I imagine, but here's the story. I'm playing in a local 9-B tournament, drew one of the strongest players there according to the TD's opinion(beside the point though) and won. Afterwards the fella said, "you ran 6 balls and out, then broke and ran the last rack" and I was oblivious to that sequence of events of stringing 15 balls for the win. Mind you this was a low stress event, and in our pool culture running those balls SHOULD be attainable from time to time, I just find it interesting that the memory of either the 6-ball run followed by the B&R even happened. I suppose it was a mini-zone, and it's happened to me before, especially a few of the B&Rs over the tenure of playing the game in competition.

I didn't post this to relay some talent level of my game, just thought many here might share those lost real time realities, until being told afterwards. Might be a fun thread of discussion...sid

MAC
06-27-2008, 01:02 PM
The opposite seems to happen to me. I made the 8 on the break during league play Monday night. Then on the next rack I miscued the cueball not once but twice on the break. That was a embarassing moment. haha

JJFSTAR
06-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Yea Sid you were in "dead stroke" and its fantastic that it happened in competition. JoeW. and I were discussing this over dinner last night. We sometimes turn into the increadable hulk but we dont seem to be able to do it at will.

There is a definate condition out there where essentially you’re asleep. I know for sure on 3 occasions that I have been in dead stroke. I have run 3 consecutive racks of 8 ball 4 consecutive racks of 9 ball and 46 or there abouts balls in strait pool. But I know this because I was told I did it. I have no solid memory of those events.

So like you I am still searching for a way to get into the zone at will. Dave's stuff and this disscusion board have all helped my game as of late but still the pool hypnosis of dead stroke the zone or whatever you want to call it is still elusive.

Sid_Vicious
06-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Next set I went out 4-zip. I wish the other guy had not let me know "I did what I did". Somehow I sense that the Filipino players have a better mindset for eliminating those off-switches...sid

Billy_Bob
06-28-2008, 08:32 AM
That happens to me all the time. I have to ask my opponent if I had a break and run (8-ball). I'll think it was, but not always quite sure. I guess I'm concentrating on my shots/position and not "keeping score".

KellyStick
07-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Yes been there done that but not often enough.

I think if you are focusing on winning then you are therefore not focusing on the score, how many shots you have made in a row, whether you are on track for a B&R or whether it's the 3rd inning. Too me it's all about focus on winning so fully that all thosw other distractions just don't get access to your senses.

On the other hand if you are worried about not making a good show for others or more worried about stringing as many shots together (for show), or worried about missing, or worried about losing, or worried about winning... or countless other things then you will not win or get into the zone to win. Unless your opponent is doing the same, then it's just a toss up.