PDA

View Full Version : chain link fence

Bobbyrx
06-27-2008, 12:13 PM
My step son is headed to Auburn Vet School this fall so we went down and bought him a trailer where a lot of the students live. To prevent us from having to keep his large dog at our house for 4 years, I offered to put up a chain link fence for him. Never done it before. Anyone got any tips to keep me out of more trouble than I'm already in with this project???

DeadCrab
06-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Powered post hole augers are not for amateurs. They can be flat out dangerous. Had a death caused by one around here recently.

If you dig the post holes by hand, I strongly recommend an Iwan auger (http://www.hooverfence.com/tools/adjust-augers.htm). Once you get the hang of it (not much downward pressure is needed as you rotate it clockwise), you can dig an 8" 3.5 foot deep hole in under 15 minutes. Spray the blade surfaces with Pam or silicone spray if the dirt sticks.

Using fast-setting concrete allows you to pour the dry mix into the hole, then add a gallon of water. Much easier than trying to mix regular concrete.

Consider green vinyl coated chain link if you care about appearance.

Bobbyrx
06-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Great info. I never thought of using Pam. How much concrete do you recommend for the end and corner posts vs the regular fence posts?

DeadCrab
06-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Check out this "how to", they say it better than I could.
http://www.hooverfence.com/manual/chainlink/install1.htm

In my part of the country, you have to be careful to keep the concrete below the freeze depth of dirt, otherwise the post gets pushed up when the ground freezes. Down South, probably not an issue.

Bobbyrx
06-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks DC, I'm headed down to do it now. I'll give you a report if I survive.......

Bobbyrx
07-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Posts are up with no one hurt. So far so good. Now this weekend we add the fence. Thanks for the help....

SpiderMan
07-01-2008, 03:54 PM
I would strongly recommend AGAINST trying to mix concrete in a dirt post hole. Don't do it this way unless you don't care what your fence looks like a few years down the road. You just can't mix it half as well as out in the open, even if you spend twice the time.

Posts set this way may seem sturdy for a couple of years, then the concrete crumbles, the posts loosen, and the fence leans over. You don't know you've screwed up until it's too late.

Mix your concrete out in the open, then shovel it into the hole.

SpiderMan