PDA

View Full Version : Tough adjusting after moving up?

bignick31985
06-28-2008, 08:32 AM
I started roughly 2 years ago as a 4 obviously, quickly moved to a 5 and then made a huge effort to become a 6. Well, I always try to play to my best ability, and on my Monday and Thursday 8-ball team I have just been moved up to a 7 as of last week. Sorta hurts the team as well. B/c if my g/f moves to a 4, then we have a dilemma making the handicap limit without playing our 3 best. So thats tough as well.

I've read nearly the entire post on what makes an APA 7. Alot of interesting stuff. I've gotten better at all the traits a 7 has...just not nearly as consistent. Mondays have led me to 8 wins and only 1 loss, while Thursdays are more around %50 win percentage. So I was confused as to why I was moved up.

First night as a 7 I demolished a 4. Which is almost expected I suppose. Especially judging from the comments like, "Will you please let me shoot once!". How come I can't have an off night and lose? I had a hard time adjusting to the 5/2 race, but still played like a 7. Just this Thursday I lost 2 straight games to a 4, in only 7 innings. A total lapse of skill or thought process. I'm not sure which.

So what is the best way to adjust to the extra game? And it just seems that I was a really good 6, and now I'm a not so good 7. It just seems there are 7's you watch, and know if you miss you're done. Some nights I have that. Some nights I dont.

pooltchr
06-28-2008, 06:34 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bignick31985</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So what is the best way to adjust to the extra game? </div></div>

Stay away from the scorekeepers when you are shooting. Make sure your team knows you don't want to hear things like "Only two more". Just play until someone shouts out "That's the match!"

Steve

Rich R.
06-29-2008, 07:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bignick31985</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what is the best way to adjust to the extra game? And it just seems that I was a really good 6, and now I'm a not so good 7. It just seems there are 7's you watch, and know if you miss you're done. Some nights I have that. Some nights I dont. </div></div>
Every skill level has a wide range, with an entry level, a wide mid level and a top level, all within whatever skill level you are talking about.
In the sl-7 level, it is a little different. The entry level of the sl-7 is above a top level sl-6, but there is no upper level. I know some sl-7's, in my area, play pro caliber pool. Others are defeated regularly by sl-6's having a good day.
I suggest you just go out, in every match, and play your best pool. The handicaps are meant to even out the matches between different skill levels. In good matches, between different skill levels, both players should have to play their best in order to win. If you are not on your game, or if you don't take another player seriously, you will lose.

BTW, part of the challenge of playing APA league pool is that most teams can not play their top three players every week, because of the 23 point limit. The challenge is to get the right mix, each week, to do the best for your team, while keeping all team members involved. Everyone on the team should have to sit out once in a while. Accept the challenge and work with it.

jennycorvette
07-09-2008, 01:24 AM
If you find out, bignick, could you let me know?

So far in my short time being a 7 (two and a half months) I've most struggled with the idea of spotting so many games, particularly to good 4's and 5's. I've won two out of five matches, but I've only beat a 2 and a 3, both of whom had me in their head before I played them. I've lost to two 4's and a 5. Personally I felt like I only played bad in one of those matches, but I have this habit of scratching off 8 ball breaks in the first game that doesn't help with that already too big spot. I've done that three times but I can't help but to be too anxious when I start a match.

Now I'm too scared to play most people and I feel caught between my desire to prove myself as a 7 (because a lot of people have doubted my abilities) and knowing that I have to be really really close to going back down to a 6 again, which would put me back in my comfort zone and give me my confidence back.

The change from 2 all the way to 6 was smooth sailing compared to this.

Cornerman
07-09-2008, 07:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bignick31985</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> First night as a 7 I demolished a 4. Which is almost expected I suppose. </div></div>I think playing a SL-4 is the toughest matchup for SL-7. They onlyhave to win two game, so winning just one puts them on the hill! And They're good enough to run a rack at any time, so that makes things very difficult.

But to your question, just like any handicap along the way, if you're just barely into your handicap range, then you're going to struggle. If you're very good for your handicap range, you're going to have an easier time.

Fred &lt;~~~ low in his handicap range

Eric.
07-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Fred beat me to the punch.

I was gonna say the same things i.e. being at the very bottom of a handicap range, etc.

The only advice I can offer is that you have to concentrate much more to grow into your new handicap quickly. In the past, you were able to "give away" a game and still come up with the overall win. You cant do that now. In fact, you need to concentrate on giving up no air at all. Scratching on the first break is unacceptable. You are better off breaking crappy, but not scratching, if youre not confident enough to hit them hard.

If you are playing a 4, who only needs 2 games, every game, every shot you play needs to be a hill-hill game, in your mind. You cannot take any flyers. Your safeties need to be tight. You get the picture.

Eric